Moving company on a 457

Guest Littlelegs

Guest Littlelegs

I have been in OZ for 7 months on a sponsored 457 visa however, Im not enjoying the role that I have. I potentially could move to another company but don't know what will happen as far as the visa is concerned. Im guessing that if I leave my current company my visa becomes nil and void and that the new company will have to go through the process of getting me a visa? Is this correct, any idea about costs, time lines etc?

Cheers

Guest JoanneHattersley

I know that you have 28 days to get a new emplyer and get the sponsorship in place else it does become null and void and the plane home beckons!!!!!!!

Im on my 3rd 457.The easiest option is to lodge another application online all 3 parts together (The 2 employer nominations and yours) and when it is approved hand your notice in with the current company and when you go to immigration to validate in your passport they cancell the old visa.

if you do it online its is only a couple of hundred dollars for your part and a bit more for the company end.

Any questions pm me

Long long storys haha needless to say they dont call it the "slave visa" for nothing.

Dont get me wrong there is good and bad employers out there its just took me a while to find a half decent one.The only good thing about it is its a pathway to PR and im happy to say the end of february i qualify for the sponsored PR. Which is the only option i have exept spouse visa to stay here.

Guest JoanneHattersley

makes me realise how lucky I am ! I came over on 457 as a nurse, employed by agency. 4 months later the home taht i was based at "bought me out " of the agency and gave me a full time 5 days a week job. 4 years later I am still there and love every single minute!

Guest Dave Payne

Agree fully with Dodgy, I'm on my third 457 as well and I'm a chartered surveyor. Slave visa is the word, my way or the highway is the management method, you are basically disposable and dispensable. As for changing visa. easy. Just get new company to file a sponsorship undertaking, get new medicals and police checks and off you go. Takes one day from the appointment of a case officer. By the way, the 28 day rule applies from the cancellation by DIAC of your visa, not your resignation/termination. It is discretioanry; for visa 3 I was given 3 months before they got hasty. Might change in the current climate as Qld state premier talking about cancelling 457's to protect the mining jobs (Brisbane Courier - Sat 19th Dec), fortunately this will need legislation. Wonder Mrs (Capt) Bligh would feel about the brits throwing the Aussies out of London. Good Luck and get the job offer before you leap.

Guest Dave Payne

Hi Plazze,

To apply for citizenship you must have permanent residence - the class 457 visa is, as you know, a short term visa so it must be converted to PR first, via the 176 (independent) or 856 (employer sponsorship) or other route. Assuming that you get PR after 1st July 2007, ie if you started now, then you need to satisfy the residence requirement of four years in OZ or which at least one is as a permanent resident. Hence you can be on a 457 for 3 years, get PR via 856 or 176 and apply for citizenship after one more year. This assumes that you meet medical and character requirements and pass the citizenship test. I understand that it is no longer neccessary to know Bradmans batting average (99.44) to pass this. The medical test for PR is that you or a memebr of your family have no medical issues that would cost the Australian government more than AU$ 20000 per year (ie in a public hospital). All the details are on the net, just google Australian citizenship for the DIAC site. The key is to get off 457 as fast as possible. Australian employers are surprisingly reluctant to sponsor foreign nationals for PR, even though this reduces their risk and exposure. For the record the cost of an ENS application is about 6500 bucks if done through a migration consultant or which only 165 bucks is for the letter of sponsorship. About the same as 176 applications. Hope this little book helps.

Archived