New member after 9 years in Oz

Guest Gunner

Great site always wondered why the Brits never had an expat club? I have been in Melbourne for 9 years and prior to that 7 in Auckland. Originally from London I am married with 2 kids (both Aussies).

I hope my years of living here mean I can offer a bit of useful advice from time to time.

Guest guest17301

Hello Gunner and a warm welcome to PIO. Always good to hear opinions from those with a lot of experience of living in the country. Hope you have fun on PIO.:smilexmas:

Guest JoanneHattersley

Welcome to PIO! Pleased to have ya as a member! It would be interesting to know what has changed in Melbourne from when you got here til now!

Guest juliemtaylor

Hi Welcome to PIO, warning it's addictive and we will ask you loads of questions about life over there, especially of Melbourne...

Thanks for joining!

Julie x

I see you're in Melbourne. Hubby is thinking of moving there. How are you finding it there? We're a family of 5 :) Is it family orientated there? And how's the weather?

Guest Midlanders

Hi Gunner

Lucky you being in oz for 9 years... We have just started the process and cannot wait to get out.

What things from the uk can you not get down under?. Do they have bisto powder as hate the granual - perhaps ask the wife on this one lol

What else should be bring with us as either expensive, cannot get or the quality is different down under?

Any other suggestions would be greatful

So your not missing the weather ....lol

Regards Judy:unsure:

I see you're in Melbourne. Hubby is thinking of moving there. How are you finding it there? We're a family of 5 :) Is it family orientated there? And how's the weather?

I love Melbourne but its no utopia there are problems the same as any big city however the people are friendly and welcoming, very family friendly great for sports and outdoor life. Australia is a country of volunteers, get involved in a club, footy, cricket or something else (e.g school) if sports not your thing.

Weather is great despite every other Australian telling you its awful. Melbourne has seasons, Summer is generally warm with low humidity good for enjoying an abundance of outdoor pools and beaches and in winter you can drive into the mountains and have a ski or toboggan.

Good Luck

Hi Gunner

Lucky you being in oz for 9 years... We have just started the process and cannot wait to get out.

What things from the uk can you not get down under?. Do they have bisto powder as hate the granual - perhaps ask the wife on this one lol

What else should be bring with us as either expensive, cannot get or the quality is different down under?

Any other suggestions would be greatful

So your not missing the weather ....lol

Regards Judy:unsure:

Judy

I couldnt agree more life would be worthless without decent gravy on Sunday afternoon Im glad to say my wife produces magnificent gravy with local ingredients. I suggest you have a look at the cost of goods online, Im not sure what products you are referring to, furniture is generally the biggest outlay for people if they dont ship their own. There is a wide range of stuff from low cost to expensive, I would then look at benefits of buying new vs shipping cost. Check if UK TVs, VCRs and DVD players will work I am unsure.

Australia is not generally much cheaper than UK although petrol is about half price and a car driven on LPG (very common here) is about a quarter the price of UK petrol. Salaries I think are comparable dependent upon profession and you can check out tax rates at the Australia Tax Office website. Biggest benefits here are

1. Better weather

2. More house for your money

3. Family friendly environment

4. A great future for those who want to achieve

5. Only 21 million people in a country bigger than Europe

Hope this helps

Pete

Its a lot busier

We are on permanent water restrictions

There now seems to be 3 restaurants for every man woman and child in Melbourne, I dont know how they make a living.

We have many new suburbs including the marvellous Docklands

One thing that has stayed the same "its still a great place to live"

Melbournes great

Brisbane is also fantastic but very hot in summer. I was recently in a hospital in Brisbane with my 2 year old daughter who had a febral convulsion. Every nurse we spoke to was British.

Archived