USB Mobile Broadband

Guest hoorsur

Guest hoorsur

Can anyone tell me if the mobile "wireless" broadband is of any use in the Sunshine Coast, which provider for speed and reliability, value for money and I notice that most are contract based for the best prices, how easy is it to get a contract with these firms with no credit rating since we will be coming over soon?

Virgin seems the cheapest, any good?

Not too many questions there.......

If anyone can help, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

I have just been looking at the payg versions for us when we travel about. I am not sure about Virgin's coverage and speed - the selling people keep telling me that Virgin dont access the same speeds on the Optus network as Optus do. Telstra is too darned expensive IMHO but they do have the best coverage. I am leaning towards Optus - 199 for a dongle inc 1gb data expiry in 30 days then 30 for a 1gb download and as long as you keep renewing within 90 days your account stays active. Or 30.00 for 2gb per month if you bundle.

I have been seriously considering Virgin because it is cheaper but the reviews of their service on whirlpool forums are a bit ho hum.

Guest hoorsur

Cheers for that, we may be looking for something about 5GB per month what with Skype video calls, photos and emails and just general surfing.

Fantastic stuff.

Guest hoorsur

Virgin has 5gb for $39 on contract for 24 months

or

USB modem for $179 then

Voucher Value Data Expiry

$15 0.5GB 30 days,

$30 1GB 30 days,

$50 3GB 60 days,

$100 6GB 90 days

Pre-paid looking a tad expensive but the contract looks better but tied into 24 months though.

Are you sure you want to rely on mobile broadband for that length of time? I guess I always think of it as a back up rather than the permanent option - good until you can get into a place and get ADSL or some other sort of cabled broadband which tends to work out cheaper and I think the speeds are faster. Virgin certainly are looking attractive price wise!

Guest hoorsur

I hear what you're saying Q, good point. It's just that we will be heading over in May and if we were to move house a few times during the 2 years, this would be the easiest option instead of being charged for an "engineer" to plug each house up to broadband for us. I base this only on say, BT over here, they charge you and take a few weeks.

We're with Virgin here in Edinburgh and our fibre optic cable broadband is excellent with very little downtime. Can't fault them for that.

Can anyone tell me if the mobile "wireless" broadband is of any use in the Sunshine Coast, which provider for speed and reliability, value for money and I notice that most are contract based for the best prices, how easy is it to get a contract with these firms with no credit rating since we will be coming over soon?

Virgin seems the cheapest, any good?

Not too many questions there.......

If anyone can help, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

We are using vodaphone, 5 gig $39.00 a month with free USB. for 2 year contract,

we couldn't get broadband :arghh:

Its OK for the money.

Christine

I hear what you're saying Q, good point. It's just that we will be heading over in May and if we were to move house a few times during the 2 years, this would be the easiest option instead of being charged for an "engineer" to plug each house up to broadband for us. I base this only on say, BT over here, they charge you and take a few weeks.

We're with Virgin here in Edinburgh and our fibre optic cable broadband is excellent with very little downtime. Can't fault them for that.

Yes very useful if you are itinerant - hope you dont have to move much though:wink:

Guest hoorsur

Cheers ellie,

I take it that you think that landline BB is better than this USB then?

Are Vodaphone good enough for you or anyone else in the Sunshine Coast?

Cheers ellie,

I take it that you think that landline BB is better than this USB then?

Are Vodaphone good enough for you or anyone else in the Sunshine Coast?

Not sure whether BB would be better, as we havent used it over here, we were supposed to get it with telstra when we got our landline but after a few days we were informed that there was no space at the exchange a the moment and we would have to keep contacting them to see if a space became available (How backward is that)

The 3g vodaphone is OK once you are used to it, you have to connect to it at the start and disconnect when you have finished which can be a pain. But hey its better than nothing lol.

Christine

Archived