Should I diet for my medical?

Guest vixpinkbabe

Guest vixpinkbabe

Hi,

I have my medical booked for January 2009 and wondering whether I should diet?

I'm 26 years old, 5 ft 6 and am almost 11 stone which on paper looks quite heavy. When in actual fact I work out 5 times a week and do weights, so my muscle makes me heavy.

Is there a limit or guidelines on what weight they think is acceptable or is it not a big issue?

Thanks for your help,

Vicky.

Guest The Pom Queen

Vicky

Please don't worry, as you know muscle is heavier than fat, they do go off your BMI which is a little silly but hey I weighed a lot heavier than that and still got in. As long as your weight will not cause any health problems that will cost the government a fortune then you should be fine.

Good luck with your medical

Guest vixpinkbabe

Thanks for your help, I was just worried that if they don't want to give me a visa they will start nit picking for any excuse to say no. xx

You are absolutely fine. Your BMI is 24.9 which is in the normal weight range for your height. I have only heard about people having problems when they are classed as obese (over 30 BMI) which at your height would be over 186 lbs.

Guest earlswood

What a load of ******lks the system is.........why should they even weigh you if you are in good health and have a skill they want.....Aussies are the most obese nation in the world now even outstripping the USA....how they have a cheek to weigh people applying is a complete joke....:skepticalxmas:

Guest madplumber1
What a load of ******lks the system is.........why should they even weigh you if you are in good health and have a skill they want.....Aussies are the most obese nation in the world now even outstripping the USA....how they have a cheek to weigh people applying is a complete joke....

Like your the big expert....not...thought you were off to spain to join your mates!!!

Madrid-la-capital-europea-del-orgullo-gay-2007063021485402hg2.jpg

:arghh:

Now i'm concerned my BMI is 32.5 will they fail my medical on these grounds???:skeptical:

Probably not, but you fail the "I care for my own health" test. Obesity is mostly a result of lifestyle choices which empty the "health purse" of "health cash", resulting in an early death, or - even worse - prolonged life with disability.

Guest littlesarah

The Australian government have the right to ensure (as far as possible) that potential immigrants do not impose a significant burden on the Medicare system. This includes cardiovascular disease, which we know is linked to lifestyle factos including smoking, diet, lack of exercise & obesity.

I don't hear complaints about testing for Hepatitis & HIV - yet Hep can be carried for many years with minimal intervention & health burden. I wonder why that should be the case?!

I'm not trying to be inflammatory, rather I'm considering the differences in perception of different health conditions in relation to visa applications.

Guest earlswood
Like your the big expert....not...thought you were off to spain to join your mates!!!

:arghh:

You are a sad little insignificant homophobic fool, and I would imagine in real life if your posts are anything to go by...a pain and very very boring.

pd_yawning_070730_ms.jpg

Guest earlswood
The Australian government have the right to ensure (as far as possible) that potential immigrants do not impose a significant burden on the Medicare system. This includes cardiovascular disease, which we know is linked to lifestyle factos including smoking, diet, lack of exercise & obesity.

I don't hear complaints about testing for Hepatitis & HIV - yet Hep can be carried for many years with minimal intervention & health burden. I wonder why that should be the case?!

I'm not trying to be inflammatory, rather I'm considering the differences in perception of different health conditions in relation to visa applications.

We are talking about being overeweight :noxmas: HIV can be passed on, being overweight cannot....how can they refuse someone that is overweight....it would be far better to ban smokers and heavy drinkers as they have far more chance of being a burden on the health service.

Probably not, but you fail the "I care for my own health" test. Obesity is mostly a result of lifestyle choices which empty the "health purse" of "health cash", resulting in an early death, or - even worse - prolonged life with disability.

So why don`t the oz govt pu ther own house in order the amount of fast food oulets and coffee and cake (ubequitous ) outlets they even advertise the (heart attack burger ) advertised by a specific chain which I think is banned in the uk .The amount of clinically obese aussies i see can out weigh the obesity in the uk. I`m not mr adonis i`m overweight if not obese but walking round here I feel skinny sometimes

MALLY

Guest littlesarah

There are ways to prevent transmission of HIV & hep. People I know who have either or both of these conditions do not want to infect others with the condition(s) that blights their life, and take active measures to address this. (I know there are those who have a different attitude, but I find it hard to believe that they would be in the majority.)

I agree that alcohol consumption & smoking should be considered, & I'm sure that most medics would agree with that. However, although these factors may show up in in the examination &/or medical history (e.g. chest sounds, X-ray, history of liver problems) it is not currently possible to objectively assess a person's alcohol & tobacco use.

I was really only trying to make the point that it is inherently difficult to predict an individual's likely burden on the health & welfare systems, and thinking about whether there is a difference in people's perceptions of health burden depending on the underlying cause.I suspect that I am moving off topic really, but ultimately we all have to play the game by the given rules (whether or not we think they're fair)...

S

Guest earlswood

What a load of tosh…unless your are really overweight the facts say the risk is insignificant and the mortality rate prove this out…many overweight people are healthier than normal weight folk and smoking and excess drinking are far more dangerous to your health.

And Oz has many more overweight folk than the UK anyways.

What a load of tosh…unless your are really overweight the facts say the risk is insignificant and the mortality rate prove this out…many overweight people are healthier than normal weight folk and smoking and excess drinking are far more dangerous to your health.

And Oz has many more overweight folk than the UK anyways.

i would have thought ealsy that you are one of those that you metioned, heavy drinkers !!!!!!

with all your night life you keep going on about ???????:biglaugh:

Guest earlswood
There are ways to prevent transmission of HIV & hep. People I know who have either or both of these conditions do not want to infect others with the condition(s) that blights their life, and take active measures to address this. (I know there are those who have a different attitude, but I find it hard to believe that they would be in the majority.)

I agree that alcohol consumption & smoking should be considered, & I'm sure that most medics would agree with that. However, although these factors may show up in in the examination &/or medical history (e.g. chest sounds, X-ray, history of liver problems) it is not currently possible to objectively assess a person's alcohol & tobacco use.

I was really only trying to make the point that it is inherently difficult to predict an individual's likely burden on the health & welfare systems, and thinking about whether there is a difference in people's perceptions of health burden depending on the underlying cause.I suspect that I am moving off topic really, but ultimately we all have to play the game by the given rules (whether or not we think they're fair)...

S

Well the rules should be changed...IMO even people with HIV should be let in as HIV is a highly treatable condition and with today’s medications almost all people can live a normal average lifespan…people infected with hiv are not getting aids today due to the massive advances in anti-viral drugs….one small tablet instead of the cocktail a decade ago….of course people with no decent medical health are still progressing from hiv to aids i.e Africa.

Guest littlesarah

I share your views about HIV (& hep), but unfortunately the stigma associated with these conditions persists...

As for the rest, as I already said - we can only assess the things we can objectively quantify. Quantity of alcohol & tobacco imbibed cannot be determined in the same way. Obesity (& I mean obesity not just overweight) is known to be a significant drain on the health economy.

The problem is that science, including medicine, generalises in order to pick up on trends. It's the only way to understand complex situations with many variables. Ultimately every body is different, so generalising will always present problems. There isn't a way to get around this, it presents problems to those of us working in health care every day. (But is part of my job that provides me with some interesting challenges!)

Think I'd better get off my backside & go for a walk before I put on any more weight myself!

S x

Guest earlswood
i would have thought ealsy that you are one of those that you metioned, heavy drinkers !!!!!!

with all your night life you keep going on about ???????:biglaugh:

I am a piss-head and I got in no problem.:emoticon-signxmas:

Hi,

I have my medical booked for January 2009 and wondering whether I should diet?

I'm 26 years old, 5 ft 6 and am almost 11 stone which on paper looks quite heavy. When in actual fact I work out 5 times a week and do weights, so my muscle makes me heavy.

Is there a limit or guidelines on what weight they think is acceptable or is it not a big issue?

Thanks for your help,

Vicky.

Hi just like to add that im currently looking at our immi forms for meds and it states that if your BMI is between 16 and 40 then you pass..If its out of these values then it doesn't fail you it just means you need some further testing done.:biggrinxmas:

Agent appointed March 2008

TRA sent 16/7/08 (Electrician Special Class)

TRA result SUCCESSFULL 8/8/08 YIPPEEE!!

MODL 175 LODGED ONLINE (BY AGENT) 27/8/08..

LET THE WAIT BEGIN!!sleep.gif

Archived