Confusion with an O2 prepaid mobile

Guest AmeliaJane79

Guest AmeliaJane79

Hi Guys!

My fiance is a Pom currently in the UK and in the not-too-distant future, we'll will be getting the ball rolling with a permanent residency arrangement in Australia.

In the meantime though, I have a communications question that some of you British people might be able to help me with!

Fiance has an O2 prepaid mobile. Now can I call him, even though he has absolutely no credit on his mobile? In the past, they have charged him about 50p to receive incoming calls - even though he is not roaming at all internationally.

This is a British 02 prepaid phone, so when I call him, I'm calling it with the 0011 44 in front of it. It works well, but I'm confused as to why they would charge 50p for an incoming call from me.

When I call his number now, it goes to his 02 voicemail, so that's got to be a good sign that the phone is on the air...just switched off at the moment as is normal for this time of night.

Please can somebody shed some light on this for me?

Thanks so much!

Amelia Jane :)

Guest treesea

Sounds expensive. Why not just get head phones and talk to each other via the computer and Skype? It's free and if you both use web cams you can see each other. Taking face to face via webcams can be comforting when you're over the other side fo the world from someone.

Guest AmeliaJane79

Hi Treesea,

Thanks for your response. It's not an option right now, because my fiance doesn't have internet access and is looking for his own place.

Does anybody know?

Cheers,

Cant think why he would be charged for an incoming call at all. I have an O2 prepaid sim in one of my phones for when I am in UK and have not noticed that I get charged for receiving a call from the DH when he is here and I am there. Mind you, I do always have credit on it so not sure if that has an effect.

If OTOH he had an Aus sim card in his phone then yes, he would be charged because he would be charged the Aus - UK leg of the call and the Aus caller would only be charged for the within Aus part of the call, but then you wouldnt be calling the 001144 prefix to him.

Best bet would be for him to wander into an O2 phone shop and ask them. You can text him without him paying for it too.

Only thing I can think of as to why he cant get your calls is that his prepayment has lapsed and he hasnt made a call for 3 months (not sure what the period is) - I know I have to have some activity on my phone every 3 months or so otherwise it lapses and I assume it disconnects.

Hi Treesea,

Thanks for your response. It's not an option right now, because my fiance doesn't have internet access and is looking for his own place.

Does anybody know?

Cheers,

Hi you do get charged and it works visa versa, my mate in the uk went on holiday to turkey his dad rang him up so much he used all his credit without calllin

Mally

Guest AmeliaJane79
Hi you do get charged and it works visa versa, my mate in the uk went on holiday to turkey his dad rang him up so much he used all his credit without calllin

Mally

Hi Mally,

Yes, that's because your mate was roaming, i.e. taking their UK mobile outside of the UK and using it in Turkey.

I spoke to O2 myself today and they said my fiance won't be charged for texts and calls I make to him, because I'm paying for the texts and calls - and he is not roaming with his phone.

Cheers,

Archived