Things to do in Sydney

Guest treesea

Guest treesea

Going up to the Blue Mountains and seeing Katoomba and the Three Sisters (rock formation)

Taronga Park Zoo

Grab all day public transport tickets and travel around on the ferries all day.

Fish and chips at Watsons Bay - there used to be a pub which did quite a good nosh and was on the bay

Brunch at Bather's Pavilion cafe, 4 the Esplanade, Balmoral Beach (on the north side)

Chinatown, bounded by Hay, Dixon and Sussex streets on the west side of George street. Problably grown since I was there. This place is open for food late. As in 1am, 2 am and still serving food. Sky Phoenix, on Pitt Street, has very good yum cha, if you fancy a lunch time outing. I haven't been, but on the North side, apparently Chequers, in Chatswood, is very good. On the east side, Kam Fook, in Bondi Junction, is good.

If you are into curries, I recommend the Sydney Curry Club. They meet once a month and it takes the guess work about where to go to get a half decent curry. www.sydneycurryclub.com

If you like ice skating, there's a brilliant ice skating rink out at Baulkham Hills, - a trek from the city to be sure, but if you live out that way, (castle hill, way) it's worth a visit. It's on Solent Circuit.

If you fancy a night out, the league clubs are pretty good. I liked the St George, Canterbury and Manly Warringah clubs. They often have live music on, lots of poker machines, and good pub nosh.

Which reminds me of something - smorgasbords. At the Marriott, on College Street, which is across from Hyde Park, once a week (Fridays?) they do a fantastic seafood smorgasbord. Definitely worth an investment, if you like oysters and prawns.

Shopping - mmm, not really as good as Melbourne (imho ;-) but the QVB in the city is worth a visit. And the shopping mall on the North Side out at Chatswood is worth a visit.

Amusement parks. Luna park is really good fun. That's on the north side, under the harbour bridge. But if you fancy something a bit different, I recommend the go karting out at Eastern Creek. This is off the western motorway, at Eastern Creek. So a bit of a drive but worth it for the day. If you have any 12 year olds in the family they'll probably have a good time. I think from memory you have to be six to ride in the kart though. And from 6 to 10 years old you have to have an adult with you.

• 2 months later...

Go up to the bar in Sydney Tower in the evening - 1.5 hour rotation, great views and minimum spend $20 per person on drinks. Time it right and you see Sydney by day, dusk and night - fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

Featherdale Wildlife Park in Doonside (near Blacktown) is worth a visit, especially for kids.

$20 for adults (not sure about kids)

It features native wildlife, not disimilar to other places in Sydney. However, we got our picture taken with a koala at no extra cost. Also got to feed the kangaroos which are roaming around the park.

Your ticket is a 'passport' - there are various stamps dotted around near the animal enclosures for kids to stamp their passport, I thought that was a nice touch and a great reminder of the day for them.

It was raining when I went and they gave out huge complimentary umbrellas which we had to return on the way out - very thoughtful.

Quite small and doesn't require a whole day.

www.featherdale.com.au

• 3 months later...

If you do not have much time, I'm thinking of those with just a day or two here before going on, try Sydney Wildlife World in Darling Harbour. You see a good selection of Australian Wildlife in a very short time, surprisingly for a small inner city place they are all in very natural surroundings. Nearby is the Aquarium which is similar to the many others popping up all over the world but if you haven't seen one for a while worth a visit. Decent food in this area is expensive so take your own lunch.

• 1 month later...

Archived