Melbourne - where to live

Ratchet

Posted this on Victoria but have had no responses.

Is there anywhere on the net that i could look to find out where are the best places to live in and around Melbourne?

I have a feeling i may be based in the city for work, im happy to commute, but considering childcare and life outside of of work i dont want to be travelling for hours.

So im looking at 30mins travel time. This is based on very little understanding of the size of melbourne:unsure:

Where can i get in 30 mins on leaving the city? Can i get outside the city in 30mins?

Thanks

Kelly

Hi, we live between box hill and Doncaster and takes about 25 mins by train to city from Box Hill station. there are lots of areas around the city that are within an half an hour commute, depends if you want to be near the bay or more inland and what type of transport you are using. I would advise you to start looking for childcare as soon as you arrive as a lot of the centres have waiting lists. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cmallon

Hi,

We live in Sunbury, it is about 45 mins by train from city centre. I commute everyday and generally don't have too many problems. Sunbury is the most north western part that is still classed as a Melbourne suburb and it has a village feel but is still close enough to the city if you want it. I would start trying to look into childcare centres as soon as you know where you are going to live as one of the main providers (ABC learning centres) have recently gone into receivership. There are a lot of centres across Australia that will probably be closing and I think it was something like have of them were in Victoria, mostly Melbourne. The parents of the kids in the centres that are closing will obviously have to get there kids placed elsewhere so I would think that this will impact the number of places available unless they are bought and kept open.

Hi

We're moving from Sanctuary Lakes (Point Cook) to Kensington this week. We chose Point Cook as there are loads of rentals, buts thats about it. No pubs, not many shops but its ok if you want the quiet life. Kensington on the other hand is a busy little village 3k's from CBD and 10 mins by train. 3 good pubs and loads of excellent cafes. Plenty of good rentals available round there too.

Jim

Guest lottiep

Hi,

We live in Yarraville/Seddon and love it. Very family orientated and also has great village feel with fantastic pubs, restaurants, cinema and shops. Only 15 mins by train into Melbourbe CBD and only 10 min drive/train ride to Williamstown beach, which is great for kids. Also near Highpoint, which although a large shopping mall, is very handy.....has everything. When you decide on a place to live, I would suggest you do what CED advised......find childcare first!!

Archived