Is it normal to have doubts???

Guest tandcmum

Guest tandcmum

For about 3 yrs now we have been considering a move overseas, mainly just for a bit of adventure, see what it's like, and to see if we can have anymore luck with life than we have currently. We did look at the US first but the red tape and the retrogression was just too much to bear so have been researching Oz for a year or so now. We have never been before but like i said we are not looking at this as a permanenet thing it is just an adventure and we have said we will do it for a couple of years, if we love it we stay if we hate it we come home

we haven't done anything formal yet but i have a couple of interviews for nursing jobs next month so the ball is about to start rolling, but i do sometimes have doubts as to wether we are doing the right thing or not and wondered wether this is normal or a sign we shouldn't be bothering

Basically life is okay here in the Uk for us at the moment but not great. we don't own a home, we live pretty much hand to mouth each month. I can't get a nursing job, hubby works for pcworld (so no future in his career then) and we have very very little in the way of family and what we do have we see rarely and they don't play a big part in our lives. The good parts are that we live in a nice town in Scotland and the kids go to a good school and like it there and are doing well but they are only 5 and 7 so still little.

I know if we go to Oz that we will probably still struggle, we still won't own a home initially, but i can get a good job as a nurse and you never know hubby might get a job too.

I'm sort of torn between struggling through here in the UK and hoping one day we might get some luck and hubby might get a decent job, or i might find a job, and that we can eventually buy a house.( and I'll buy myself a horse in a couple of years and we'll go on holiday to florida, or whilst we have no ties, no debt, and the kids are little we should just try oz even if for just a couple of years

I'm thinking that i don't want to be stuck here in the UK in 20 years and thinking what if

Guest guest17301

If you don't feel a real pull to Oz I think your doubts will increase...but..if you feel that your lives could improve and at the least you will have a great few years I don't see what you have to lose..It's a no brainer. The real pull for most is the family so if as you say yours are not too close you should go for it. I think you will have a ball.

Guest julie2g1b

hi there

it is normal to feel that way you will always have ups and down's but i will say this start saving now as not cheap with visa's shipping ect.....

is there anyway your hubby can go to collage to learn a trade as well, that way once there you will both have an income and would also try to get a pr visa. perth is very much for familes i have just got back from a recci as can not sell the house and feel in love with the place, so your kids will love it.

wishing you lots of luck and go for it life is to short

julie :wubclub:

Guest tandcmum
hi there

it is normal to feel that way you will always have ups and down's but i will say this start saving now as not cheap with visa's shipping ect.....

is there anyway your hubby can go to collage to learn a trade as well, that way once there you will both have an income and would also try to get a pr visa. perth is very much for familes i have just got back from a recci as can not sell the house and feel in love with the place, so your kids will love it.

wishing you lots of luck and go for it life is to short

julie :wubclub:

he was thinking about going doing some sort of IT training at college. He has a degree in environmental resource management and he has got 10 yrs management experience so i'm hoping he would find something, but he is quite happy to do pretty mcuh anything t bring in some money as i will be the one working full time when we get there.

will probably go out on a 457 visa as i haven't got the full time working hours at the mo to apply for 136, but hospitals have said they will sponsor for PR after 3 months so thats not too bad

I have interviews for WA health and also for cairns hospital lined up so far

Forget about your oh they are SCREAMIN out for nurses fact 1 hossy WA offerin staff $2000 to attract other staff, letter in post offern i nurses $6000 to come back to work look at perth now news on website the reason the shortage is grads have to pay for their education and training makes you think

Mally

Guest tandcmum
Forget about your oh they are SCREAMIN out for nurses fact 1 hossy WA offerin staff $2000 to attract other staff, letter in post offern i nurses $6000 to come back to work look at perth now news on website the reason the shortage is grads have to pay for their education and training makes you think

Mally

thats what is really pulling me, i love being a nurse, i worked hard for 4 yrs to get my degree and i have worked as a nurse for 11 years now but i am losing enthusiasm due to the way nurses are being treat now. They are paying more and more people to walkaround with clipboards telling the wards to spend less money on staffing, so now i'm struggling to get bank work, the wards are not recruiting, and morale is at an all time low because nurses are havng to manage the same workload with 1 or 2 nurses less per shift and they are not allowed to request a bank nurse as it costs too much.

I know nursing in Oz will also be pressured as they have the same shortgeas etc. but at least ican find work and will be valued, and there is good job prospects

Guest earlswood

Just go and give it a go or you will never ever really settle again in the Uk as you will always be thinking for thr rest of your like "what if"

Whats the worse that can happen?

Thinking what is going on in the world this week it is a no brainer.

thats what is really pulling me, i love being a nurse, i worked hard for 4 yrs to get my degree and i have worked as a nurse for 11 years now but i am losing enthusiasm due to the way nurses are being treat now. They are paying more and more people to walkaround with clipboards telling the wards to spend less money on staffing, so now i'm struggling to get bank work, the wards are not recruiting, and morale is at an all time low because nurses are havng to manage the same workload with 1 or 2 nurses less per shift and they are not allowed to request a bank nurse as it costs too much.

I know nursing in Oz will also be pressured as they have the same shortgeas etc. but at least ican find work and will be valued, and there is good job prospects

Wait till mornin oh is the nurse (gaffer) lol she can give you lots more info please pm us blank or owt its nearly 3am in Perth and I have had the old wombat piss so will prob forget lol

#

Mally

Hiya

I reckon you should go for it,

We made the decision to go earlier this year, we didnt want to be sat here in 10 years regretting not trying. Best case scenario we will love it, worst case we hate it and come home, but what an adventure we will have had mean while. Our son is ten and is really really excited

Good luck whatever your decision

PS: My hubby is a nurse too, you can always PM us if you want any other info

Cheers

Claire x

Guest tandcmum

would just like to thank you all. I know that deep down it is the right thing to do and we will regret it if we never try and Earlswood is right we won't settle here in the Uk unless we can say we have given it a go.

It is not as if we ae giving loads up to do this, we have relatively no ties and it's not as if we are selling up our house and coming off the property ladder to do it, so if we hate it we can come home again if we decide.

Now i just need to decide where to head

Guest topcat771

You in almost the exact situation to us. For a long time our childrens school and our oldest sons gymnastic coach were the only things keeping us here. How could we possibly move them?! Then I woke up about 6 weeks ago and thought no we are going for this. So I am now looking for nursing jobs which I am finding difficult as I work in a prison and not a hospital so the agency I approached didn't think I would be able to get anything except medical nursing, which I have never done! I have years of A&E and theatre experience but she said as I am not in the area at the moment it doesn't count! So anyone with any help, please all advice welcome.

We got my oldest son who is 7 to post an email on the younger site so he knows there will be friends when we move. He asks daily to come on here!

Life is to short. We could sit back and be in a no different situation but be to old to do anything about it, or give it ago. At the end of the day the most precious people to us will be there so we can have fun with it all.

Clare x

Guest tandcmum
You in almost the exact situation to us. For a long time our childrens school and our oldest sons gymnastic coach were the only things keeping us here. How could we possibly move them?! Then I woke up about 6 weeks ago and thought no we are going for this. So I am now looking for nursing jobs which I am finding difficult as I work in a prison and not a hospital so the agency I approached didn't think I would be able to get anything except medical nursing, which I have never done! I have years of A&E and theatre experience but she said as I am not in the area at the moment it doesn't count! So anyone with any help, please all advice welcome.

We got my oldest son who is 7 to post an email on the younger site so he knows there will be friends when we move. He asks daily to come on here!

Life is to short. We could sit back and be in a no different situation but be to old to do anything about it, or give it ago. At the end of the day the most precious people to us will be there so we can have fun with it all.

Clare x

i would say approach the hospitals or the health board for the state you want to move to directly rather than looking at agencies, if you have experience even if it is not that current you might still be ofered a job in a medial area. I have got 2 years ICU experience and 5 years dialysis eperience but for the past 3 years i have only done bank work maybe one or two nights per week, and although it is in a hospital setting it's not quite the same as being in a speciality and working full time. I have applied to WA health and have an interview in a couple of weeks time.

Whereabouts do you fancy moving to?

Guest topcat771

My OH fancies Perth and I have a friend who moved there over a year ago and she wouldn't come back. I like Brisbane. I have a friend who lived over there years ago and it is her one regret that she came back to the UK. Her advice to me has been to get a job and move it doesn't matter where to as we have no family over there and just enjoy. So that's the attitude I have really, wherever we lay our hat!

Clare x

we are pretty much in the same boat we struggle from month to month , we are just starting our visa application and feel that are we doing the right thing? we are just going to try the oz life if we dont like it we will come back but not until we have tried our best to make it work, our kids are 10 & 5.

My OH fancies Perth and I have a friend who moved there over a year ago and she wouldn't come back. I like Brisbane. I have a friend who lived over there years ago and it is her one regret that she came back to the UK. Her advice to me has been to get a job and move it doesn't matter where to as we have no family over there and just enjoy. So that's the attitude I have really, wherever we lay our hat!

Clare x

They are literally screamin for nurses in Perth one hospital offerin staff $2000 to find nurses

Mally

Guest topcat771

I don't think about coming back. Me and my OH have decieded that we would rather live hand to mouth each month but walk along a beach in relative warmth than come back to the good old north east rain and fog!!

Stay in touch we sound as though we have alot in common. Anyone know which hospital I should be looking at in Perth!

Clare

I don't think about coming back. Me and my OH have decieded that we would rather live hand to mouth each month but walk along a beach in relative warmth than come back to the good old north east rain and fog!!

Stay in touch we sound as though we have alot in common. Anyone know which hospital I should be looking at in Perth!

Clare

There are loads public and private OH works at Sir Charles Gairdner (charlies) the Royal Perth , they are 2 public hospitals I can think of but there are loads

Mally

Guest guest17301

Clare x

Hi Claire I would agree with the advice given by the others. Don't bother with an agency just means you have more interviews and it takes longer, get interviewed by the agency then again by the hospital. You will get a job no worries. Your previous experience will count so don't stress. I think if you are qualified and have a pulse they will bite your hand off!

Try the Royal Perth (where I'm going!) One of our members partners works there and has given me lots of useful info. Sounds great and right in the middle of the city (think of the shopping opportunities!) Easy to get to from the surrounding suburbs. Charlies looks great too and as Mally says his OH Nic works there. Choice is yours really hun! Good luck!

• 1 year later...
Guest adeleclayte

Hi Claire

I have been reading your post and wondering if you have got to Melbourne yet and sold your house? We immigrated from the UK nearly 5 years ago.

Archived