COST OF LIVING IN BRISBANE!

Guest london cabbie

Guest london cabbie

HI.

I need a bit of help here,im trying to build a picture of life in brisbane and the every day expenses but keep reading conflicting information.

I live and work in london so i guess brisbane on the whole is cheaper,but how much cheaper?

We hope to have enough money after the sale of our house to buy a house out there cash so luckily we will have no morgage,but what about council tax,water,electricity,gas, insurance etc.And how about petrol,cars,school fees,shopping,medical care?

Iknow the wages out there could be a bit higher but...well what i am trying to say is i dont want to come out there and work my nuts off to survive like i do here,its all about quality of life right?.

I hope someone can come up with a few answers for me

Thanks....Jamie :?

Hi Jamie

I am no expert but I have researched and also asked my brother who lives there and these are my findings...

Council tax is about half what I pay

Water - is included in council tax

No gas

Electric - £30 a month

Petrol - 39p litre

No MOT's I think

Road tax more expensive but includes third party insurance

Medicare is 1.5% of wage

Clothes, electricals etc are all about the same

You pay for school fees but I think it is about £60 a year

Cars are more expensive as they hold there value

Broadband is a little more I think

No TV licence but you can pay extra for better TV (a bit like Sky here)

I also suspect that wages are lower - but I guess that depends on what work you do (not sure if your name gives the game away?)

I hope this helps and if anyone things I am wrong - please feel free to add comments.

Guest london cabbie

HI Tahe49.

Thanks for your reply it was very helpful, seems alot cheaper to live out there,still a hell of alot of research to do though....yeah im a london cab driver so i will have to think about something else to do(from life in the bus lane to life in the fast lane lol).

Good luck to you and thanks again....Jamie :D

• 3 years later...
Guest itsSHIRLEY

Hi everyone, Can anyone give me an idea how much the cost of living is in brisbane in the year 2010, thanks

Guest YellowGecko

Brisbane's outer suburbs and perhaps even as far south as the Gold coast may be a far better/affordable option.

Hope this helps - these are annual figures, based on a household or 2 adults and 3 children.

Mortgage = $20000

Council Rates = $2066 (includes water charges)

Building & Contents Insurance = $1200

Electricity = $2200

Phone (landline) = $300

Phone (mobile) = $350

Internet = 1080

Petrol @ $1.30 a litre = $6500 (we do a lot of kms though)

There are obviously other expenses, depending on whether your kids are at private or state schools.

State you are looking at around $200 a year per child and private around $10000 per child.

Love

Rudi

x

• 8 months later...
Guest Phillida

can someone please help with posting general livign expenses in Brisbane / Gold Coast area per month please for 2011.

Can you please address your post to

Phillida so I know you are answering my post, Thanks

HI.

I need a bit of help here,im trying to build a picture of life in brisbane and the every day expenses but keep reading conflicting information.

I live and work in london so i guess brisbane on the whole is cheaper,but how much cheaper?

We hope to have enough money after the sale of our house to buy a house out there cash so luckily we will have no morgage,but what about council tax,water,electricity,gas, insurance etc.And how about petrol,cars,school fees,shopping,medical care?

Iknow the wages out there could be a bit higher but...well what i am trying to say is i dont want to come out there and work my nuts off to survive like i do here,its all about quality of life right?.

I hope someone can come up with a few answers for me

Thanks....Jamie :?

These are our personal costs (2 adults, 2 kids) living on the Gold Coast.

Rates for 3 bedroom house $1700.50 a year

Water rates $1200 a year

Electricity $190 per month

Gas for bbq and gas hob $350 a year

House insurance buildings and contents $650

Car insurance comprehensive full no claims $350

Car rego (4 cylinder car) $650 approx

Petrol currently $1.55 per litre for 95 octane fuel. The lower octane (91 octane) is about $1.39

Shopping bill (food) $250-350 a week

State school is free if you have a PR visa. You may have to pay for consumables (books and stuff) about $150 per kid per year. Private school can vary considerably. You would be best checking with your school of choice

New cars start at around $12000 for a Kia or Hyundai

Mortgage repayments are about $700 per month for every $100,000 borrowed over 30yrs

Medicare (Oz NHS) is available to PR visa holders.

what about school fee's on a 457 visa? are they any dofferent to perm residency in qld?

In Qld you just pay the same as PRs for school. It's only in NSW and ACT that you have to pay school fees on a 457.

Just to add.......I had put my electricity bill as $2200 for a year.......but I just got my bill for the last 3 months and it was $1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chatterbox:

Love

Rudi

x

but I just got my bill for the last 3 months and it was $1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chatterbox:

Love

Rudi

x

OMG and i thought i had it tough getting one for $550!!! Its the first time (other than our first winter here) that its been over $500 so i was shocked but yours at $1k,,i would have had a heart attack,lol

Cal x

Guest guest30038
In Qld you just pay the same as PRs for school. It's only in NSW and ACT that you have to pay school fees on a 457.

Just to add.......I had put my electricity bill as $2200 for a year.......but I just got my bill for the last 3 months and it was $1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chatterbox:

Love

Rudi

x

:shocked: I have a pool and 31 fish tanks and mine only comes to $1000. Filters alone run at 400 watts per hour 24/7 and lights at 400 watts per hour 8/7

kev

• 2 weeks later...
what about school fee's on a 457 visa? are they any dofferent to perm residency in qld?

You are treated exactly as permanent residents with regards to school fees (well I can only speak for Queensland, not sure about other states) My kids go to a state secondary school and we pay approx $300 each year plus extras for trips etc. The only time that changes is for tertiary level education when for some reason all of a sudden they are international students and the price triples. This was a real problem for us when my eldest want to do a TAFE course (college) and it would cost us $20 000 instead of the $9000 almost 3 times as much!! :arghh:

Hope this helps.

Archived