Studying on a 457 visa

Guest Kazbaz

Please can someone help me!??? I have been in Mackay for 11 months and as the kids are able to start school in Jan I want to do someething for myself. We are on 457 visa which was organised through my husband's job.

I really would like to study but seem to be hitting a brick wall. Is it not possible to study on a 457 visa? I have been on the internet and run round various institutes and they have all said that I have to be a permanent resident. I am sure that whe we got our visas it said we would be able to study on it.

Is there anyone with an answer? The more I look, the more depressed I am getting.

i'd really appreciate some help! Thanks!

Kazbaz

Hi, I'm not a 100% sure about this one but you must be able to study on a 457 as my husband is about to start a course at college organised through his work and we are on a 457 too. Which institutions did you apply too and what sort of course? Maybe that makes a diffrence? Try having a look at the department for education website for Queensland and see what their stance is on "overseas students". I recently made enquiries through the Uni of Newcastle here in NSW and at no point was I told I could not study. You'd have to pay fees of course and I'm sure that is not the issue, maybe you wouldn't qualify for the HECS grant if that's what they are worried about? I hope someone has some answers for you, I know exactly how you feel about doing something for yourself! Cheers, Jo

I have a feeling that you would considered an overseas student and would have to pay international student fees for your course. As a temporary resident you certainly wouldnt be eligible for any Commonwealth supported places. Start saving!!!

Thanks the advice guys. I have had a little success today after asking for some advice. I have been mainly asking at the TAFE about the courses and most numbers I have phoned have refused to continue conversations after I have mentioned the temp. visa. I have found a place that has said that as long as any studies taken do not interfere with the job you are sponsored for then you are ok to do it. Like you said Quoll I think it is going to cost me quite a bit! But never mind.

Thanks JoCG and Quoll. I was beginning to feel a bit like a 2nd rate citizen for a bit there!!! JoCG, what exactly is the HECS grant? Is that the Govt. funding?

Thanks again

Kazbaz

Archived