Aargh - unusual spouse visa question!!! HELP

BuddysMum

Not that my spouse is unusual, just that I think the question may be.

This is our situation: I have dual nationality since obtaining Australian Citizenship by descent last year. However I have never lived in Australia (in fact have only visited once, for a month in August!).

Anyway, we loved it and want to move over there. My husband is 44 so we stand little chance with a skills visa so were delighted when we realised that we could apply for a spouse visa and that there is no upper age limit on him for that.

However...I have just had a bit of a panic:arghh: - we were looking at the sponsor forms (40SP, I think it was) and there was no tick-box for "citizen by descent". Several trains of thought later and I kind of recall reading that there are some limitations to my citizenship until I have lived there for two years. I think on reflection that this might just relate to my son obtaining citizenship, but I can't find anything online nor in my documents here.

So HELP please....are our plans scuppered or are we ok?

We have lots to do, not least think through whether to bully aged relatives to come over - we can't leave them here. But we are planning another holiday over in Oz next August anyway, so if we apply and are granted the visas we can use that trip to validate and then wait everything out:cry:.

Hi,

I have recently been granted a defacto visa. My boyfriend has dual nationality and as he has an Oz passport there are no restrictions on him. He can do what he likes with regards to getting into Oz/staying permanently as he chooses etc. Do you hold an Australian passport?

As the partner of the citizen there are a few limitations on me (and would likewise be on your hubby) in that i have to wait two years before they give me a permanent visa but as the temp visa has been granted and will eventually lead to the permanent one it shouldn't be anything that greatly affects me. My boyfriend would be able to buy a house in his sole name as a citizen but don't think i would be able to (might need to check this for sure).

On the 47sp form i ticked the box that says "Australian Citizen by birth" and just handwrote next to it in brackets "by descent".

c

:smile:

Archived