bad news on assessment - advise needed...

Guest oweni

Hi all had a brief chat with "The emigration group" and after 10/15mins I was advised that I probably wouldn't get through a tra for a skilled visa application!

I have worked on the railway since I left school and it now looks like if I hadn't taken a promotion 5 years ago to a supervisory role then I would have probably passed! As you can appreciate I’m gutted! :cry:

Is it worth going back to college to get some new skills? But with no experience in the new field once trained is there any point?

Sorry to ramble on, but were so desperate to get over there.

Regards Ian

Hi Ian,

I dont know if this is right, but in the 'general dilemas' post's someone is looking at a student visa to study over there. Andrew has posted one about saying he placed a 60yr old man on a cookery course in Oz. i'm not sure if he can advice you but his post's are always helpful try him! his user name is 'connaust', try a search. good luck!

hays

Hi Ian

Sorry to hear that.

Can you not go back to doing your old job (is that possible) I believe if you work 12 out of the last 18 months doing what you were trained in would that not some how satisfy visa conditions :?:

Would that work

best wishes

Kaye

I have worked on the railway since I left school and it now looks like if I hadn't taken a promotion 5 years ago to a supervisory role then I would have probably passed! As you can appreciate I’m gutted! :cry:

Consider getting more advice. Twelve years I was advised to emphasize my trade skills & make it clear that it was necessary to first & foremost be a tradesman to do what was my current job. A friend of a colleague was in the same boat recently (last 12 months) & I suggested he might do the same. I'm told it worked.

Obviously depends on particular circumstances.

Even though your a supervisor I would imagine that you can still do the job and indeed need to keep updated etc., in order to be able to supervise. In the assessment, can you not emphasise the skills you do have and know?

Ali

Yes thats an angle i'm looking at i was a little bit down the other a day but i'm looking at it a little bit clearer and understand the tra process a little clearer so i think i will push on with that in mind!

Thx Ian

My understanding of reading posts on tra is that people have put everything down, from the smallest to the biggest task and broken each task down into very small detail. It sounds as if they send tons of paper off, but the more the better! You could always put your supervisory skills on at the end.

Good luck, glad things don't seem as bleak

Ali

Guest dive monkey

Hi oweni,

I would like to echo fatpoms and ali's suggestions. Although I work in a different field, I was in exactly the same boat and managed to play up the skills that I still have but just don't use as much nowadays. Get some professional advice but unofficially I would say go for it!

DM

• 2 months later...
Guest paul and lucy garwood

Hi

Just read your post and started us thinking as my husband in same boat. Could you please give us an update of you situation,and what you did as a bit worried. Thank-you

lucy

Archived