pros and cons of Perth

Guest guest17301

Guest guest17301
Forget the weather Fiona and enjoy what Perth has to offer for a family....you can still walk on the beach when it is cold as well as when it is hot.:cute:

I think you are mellowing...Why aren't you in bed?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rachandmike

Hi, couldn't resist commenting!

We lived in Perth for 8mths before moving to the Sunshine Coast, QLD. We have been here for 18mths and love it.

Perth Cons- FLIES!!!!!!

Traffic lights

Isolation( we are 10 mins from our regional airport and 80 mins by plane to Syd. All for $75.)

Weather is colder in winter in Perth.

Windy

Housing more exp in Perth. This does depend on where you choose to buy and it is hard to make an exact comparison.

Land dearer to buy

Houses take longer to build

Very sandy(not as green)

Most things more expensive to buy.

We do live in a town, not a city suburb and we find this much nicer. There is a community spirit which we didn't find in suburbia.

We were in Ocean Reef, now in Peregian Springs,QLD.

I guess that depending on your skills there are less job prospects out here than Perth and they don't pay quite as good as Perth, although Brisbane would be comparable. We did like Perth but feel we made the right choice by moving east.

PS The weather in Perth is not like London.:nah:

It has been a cold and wet winter here in Perth (god I've agreed with Earls twice in 2 days), we've been here almost 2 years but I can't say the weather has been like England - it has been better. I don't really mind the rain and have seen it as quite a positive to be honest - it's meant the spinklers haven't had to be on, the garden has been watered, my new olive tree hasn't died and my new lawn looks green!. The weather is certainly improving and the kids were using the pool int he evening and we had dinner outside in the evening without putting the heater on.

I tend to like the things that some see as negatives, I love the fact that WA is the least populated state and therefore not overcrowded, the city is small and quiet and tremendously relaxing when you visit. I feel fortunate as I'm only a 10 min train ride to the city but also only a 20 min drive to Freo. Earls is right there is a drug problem in WA and I was a bit surprised by the extent of it - but again being realistic that doesn't mean it's going to touch your kids (just as it didn't mean it in the UK).

Flights over east are expensive ... but you've got some of the most beautiful places here in WA to explore and your right on the doorstep of Asia to explore too.

After 2 years - except for the mozzies, there really isn't much I don't like about WA

Guest Jade_Hannah_Smith

Haha that Scotland comment made me laugh.

Alot. haha thanks for that.

But yeah when i was there last year it was the winter, still t-shirt and shorts weather, for me anyway! Nights were a bit cold, nothing atall compared to here though! And im not convinced the crime is same as here? Shorely it can't be as it is really quite bad in the UK, not all paces obviously. I couldn't really have and cons i don't think, things do shut a bit early though i thought. But apart from that me and my parents loved it, thats why we are moving there in 7 weeks!

Good luck!

Perth is overpriced and overrated, it has nice beaches and sunny weather but so does just about everwhere else in OZ and its not as expensive. Is'nt Perth called the burglary capital of OZ. The best places to live in OZ are outiside the big cities in the country on the coast , a small regional city or small coastal town, affordable housing miles of great beaches to yourself, little crime ,traffic, laid back lifestyle.

Guest earlswood
Perth is overpriced and overrated, it has nice beaches and sunny weather but so does just about everwhere else in OZ and its not as expensive. Is'nt Perth called the burglary capital of OZ. The best places to live in OZ are outiside the big cities in the country on the coast , a small regional city or small coastal town, affordable housing miles of great beaches to yourself, little crime ,traffic, laid back lifestyle.

Yes, that is why 90% of houses have bars on the windows and doors.:elvis:

Guest pamzer03

I have lived in perth for 6 years and yes it does rain in the winter but to be honest we really needed it as its so dry and hot in the summer! I love Perth and have been living in the Northern Suburbs which I much prefer to living in the city. Its such a laid back place with so many beaches a stone throw away I couldnt think of anywhere better to live. Great schools and community always a mall in every major suburb and plenty of nice restaurants!

The weather has been not that good since March to be honest, and I do not see any improvemnet as it has been freezing for months over here.

We arrived the beginning of march and the temp was in the mid 30's..... for the month. April it rained... monsoon rain... May sunny and rain...same june july...but more rain july and heeps in august.

what suprised us was the temp drop at night during this time.... FREEZING... we were in an older house then and it was warmer outside than in... spent all evening huggled around an open pot belly fire and had 2 fan heaters on all night.

now in brand new house with reverse cycle air con...heating still on in the evening...but much warmer during the day... but house is insulated.

that said we go to the beach most weekends and even last monday boys were in the sea... you can't do that autum/winter/spring in the uk.

and before anyone asks...yes our electricity bill was VERY high... and yes i am nesh... had heating on in uk as well most of the time when we lived there... but no we are not from scotland...but the midlands!!

as for 90% of houses having bars at windows and doors.... i haven't seen any... except for fly screens... certainly none where i go to south of the river.

All i can say is since coming here we have been far closer as a family .. we do things most weekends..we never did half as much together in the uk...too busy, rain, money etc you name it... here the rat race is not as apparent.. more laid back... fab beaches on our door step.... nice places to eat out as a family without the worry of making too much noise/mess.... and plenty of food choices for kids and adults.

and now we have our own pool .. just signed over to us today.. FAB!

min x:wubclub:

how can you say the weather has been the same as London!!???? Sorry but i dont agree i speak to my sister every weekend who lives in perth and shes always going for walks on the beach and spending time outside. I spent 3 weeks out there in dec/jan last year and weather was fantastic, it was actually at one point the hottest city in the world! She came over to get married in August and weather here was crap, grey skies and raining pretty much every day, and its supposed to be summer. It was actually better weather in august in perth than in uk!

Im sorry but I disagree lol

Wow, you were there when we were!!! (We arrived 13th Dec, left for Brisbane for 2 weeks, then flew back again and stayed til the end of Jan). If I remember correctly, didn't it hit 42 degrees one day at the beginning of Jan? I remember Christmas Day was about 40 too over there!

My Grandad has great pleasure in boasting about how hot it is over there when we're suffering from the cold weather. Even Perth's winters seem better than our summers on certain days. (It's just the cold nights that he hates!)

Tracey

Hi, couldn't resist commenting!

We lived in Perth for 8mths before moving to the Sunshine Coast, QLD. We have been here for 18mths and love it.

Perth Cons- FLIES!!!!!!

Traffic lights

Isolation( we are 10 mins from our regional airport and 80 mins by plane to Syd. All for $75.)

Weather is colder in winter in Perth.

Windy

Housing more exp in Perth. This does depend on where you choose to buy and it is hard to make an exact comparison.

Land dearer to buy

Houses take longer to build

Very sandy(not as green)

Most things more expensive to buy.

We do live in a town, not a city suburb and we find this much nicer. There is a community spirit which we didn't find in suburbia.

We were in Ocean Reef, now in Peregian Springs,QLD.

I guess that depending on your skills there are less job prospects out here than Perth and they don't pay quite as good as Perth, although Brisbane would be comparable. We did like Perth but feel we made the right choice by moving east.

PS The weather in Perth is not like London.:nah:

We were staying in Surfers Paradise over Christmas & New Year and had constant rain and the temperatures were only in early to mid 20's. We were watching the weather forcast for Perth and they had high 30's and about 40 degrees over that period and was dry!

We had booked surfing lessons over there (in Surfers) but as the weather was so bad, the beaches were closed for a week. There was also a shark sighting not far away, so that beach was closed for 1 day.

I didn't find a problem with flies in Perth area though, well not until we were on our way down to Bunbury! Bunbury the Pinjarra regions and were absolutely terrible with them!

Tracey

Guest beverley
Wow, you were there when we were!!! (We arrived 13th Dec, left for Brisbane for 2 weeks, then flew back again and stayed til the end of Jan). If I remember correctly, didn't it hit 42 degrees one day at the beginning of Jan? I remember Christmas Day was about 40 too over there!

My Grandad has great pleasure in boasting about how hot it is over there when we're suffering from the cold weather. Even Perth's winters seem better than our summers on certain days. (It's just the cold nights that he hates!)

Tracey

how funny, my auntie was in oz but was visiting the family in brisbane. we had exactly the same phone conversation...but at least i was the one doing the boasting!

It was a fantastic xmas we kept the air con on all day with the doors and windows shut. so we got straight out of the pool and went inside in the cold to eat our roast dinner! lol

how funny, my auntie was in oz but was visiting the family in brisbane. we had exactly the same phone conversation...but at least i was the one doing the boasting!

It was a fantastic xmas we kept the air con on all day with the doors and windows shut. so we got straight out of the pool and went inside in the cold to eat our roast dinner! lol

We did actually have a hot Christmas Day. We had dinner at The Sage Restaurant, eating outside, went back to the hotel for a swim and then went to the beach. It was a tad cold on the beach by 5pm though, but when you've gone all the way across there, you have to make the most of it!! (Just so you can tell your friends & family!!)

New Year was a bit of a let-down because the beaches were closed and the fireworks didn't happen. We still walked to Broadbeach and stood on the beach with a load of teenagers and young 20somethings - they were all friendly and we never saw any trouble. It was still a good night, even though not a lot happened.

The only downfall is that Christmas didn't feel very christmassy. There wasn't the same christmas feel as we get here and hardly any lights & decorations. Did see a Surfer dressed as Santa whilst he was working though. Saw 1 santa in a shopping mall in Perth for kids to visit - that was at Whitfords Avenue, but he didn't have his own grotto! (Maybe we weren't looking hard enough for Santas).

We didn't think the January sales are that great either!!

Tracey

Guest Hello Kitty

I am from Melbourne and have only spent a few days in Perth but my observations of the city from our very limited experience was:

Perth is clean, relaxed and laid back. There is a feeling of space.

Beautiful beaches very close to most parts of Perth.

The weather was wonderful when we were there but Winters can be cool and wet as that is when all their rain falls.

Kings park was lovely and the Swan River is beautiful.

Perth is much quieter than Melbourne with less going on. Sunday in the city was very quiet whereas in Melbourne the city if full of people on a Sunday as all the shops are open in Melbourne on Sundays and have been for many years. Maybe people were busy doing other outdoor activities.

I noticed that people go out for dinner earlier in Perth than Melbourne. We went out for a meal early at 6.30pm and expected the only people eating would be families but it was full of people, couples etc.

The shopping is not as good as Melbourne. There are many stores that are in Melbourne that are not in Perth though I have read that many designers are starting to realised there is a market in Perth and are starting to open stores there.

I was surprised that supermarkets closed early instead of midnight or 10.00pm as they do here.

The drivers are a bit crazy in Perth.

I think it would be a very nice place to live for families as it is very relaxed and laid back, clean and seemed pretty safe to me. I didn't notice any bars on any windows or any feeling of being unsafe. There were a few hoons in their cars in Fremantle on the Saturday night but you get them in Melbourne in certain areas also. Perth is very isolated but you can always hop over to Melbourne or Sydney for a shopping fix or go to Bali which is only 3 hours away.

Ah-the great Perth debate ! You either love Perth or you hate it !

Was it 44 degrees in the UK on boxing day ? Probably not as it was winter but was it 44 degrees anytime over the summer ? No ! England did not have a summer this year ! Perth did !

Having lived in Queensland for the last 12 months I can say, I can't see what the fuss about the climate here is and I find the Perth climate far superior-Perth actually has a good summer ! It is cold in the winter, during the night expecially and it makes it harder as the houses generally are not equipped for it. But same here in Queensland-nice days, cold nights-and no-one told us that ! In Queensland it is really humid, rains all summer and a lot of the winter too ! Spring is taking a while to get going in Perth, as it generally seems to, but Autumn is good and warmer than you would expect Autumn to be.

As for eating out-don't think the choices are that great in Perth and it is expensive. There is far more choice over East and it is cheaper.

The beaches are wonderful in Perth and a lot of the time empty (Southern suburbs). Over here they are often packed and in the summer we were horrified to see them as packed as the UK !

Travel :Yes, Perth can be isolating-but it is only far away from the rest of Australia if you want to go to the rest of Australia ! Living over here, it is cheaper to fly to Sydney or Melbourne and there are more choices for places to go away but we don't go away every weekend !

Perth is a very outdoorsy family orientated place.

The drivers are a bit crazy and I thought that they were bad-until we came to Queensland !! They scare me here.

Perth is supposed to be the bugulary capital of Australia-we had heard of quite a few people we met/knew who had been burgled. There certainly does not seem to be the same mutterings about burgulary over here.

There are drugs in Perth-but aren't there everywhere ? On the radio this week they said that the Sunshine Coast was the Ice capital of Australia and the hinterland here is full of home factories that the police can't keep tabs on !

AFL, AFL, AFL-Perth (and Victoria :-) ) is the place to be if you love your AFL and sport !

Queensland NSW is the place to be if you love rugby league :-(

There is not as much traffic in Perth as there is over here. But believe me Perth still has traffic and still has a rush hour if you are trying to get into the city in the mornings.

Not as many touristy things, markets, theme parks etc in Perth if you are into that kind of stuff.

Not such a great range of shops-for example, no cheap Aldi or bi-Lo (Supermarkets over East) or cheap Liquor stores (First Choice). Think there is a Dan Murphy somewhere now though !

Will let you know if I can think of anything else but everywhere has positives and negatives-overall, Perth is a great place for a family, perhaps not for someone younger or single.

Guest guest17301

Just wanted to thank all for replying, especially HelloKitty and Melly for their useful opinions.

Getting excited about the move again, things moving after a slow few weeks.

Any other advice/help most welcome x

Guest earlswood
Just wanted to thank all for replying, especially HelloKitty and Melly and especially Earlswood for their useful opinions.

Getting excited about the move again, things moving after a slow few weeks.

Any other advice/help most welcome x

ahhhhh thanks.....:wubclub:

Guest guest17301
ahhhhh thanks.....:wubclub:

You cheeky sod... Edit my posts again and I'll tell the whole of PIO your little secret...

Guest earlswood
You cheeky sod... Edit my posts again and I'll tell the whole of PIO our little secret...

Please dont tell your hubby though.....I like my face :wideeyed:

Guest guest17301

It's no secret is it? That's why you feel the cold more than most..All the blood goes to your extra large.............................:twitcy:

Guest earlswood
It's no secret is it? That's why you feel the cold more than most..All the blood goes to your extra large.............................:twitcy:

Feet.....I know...size 11s.

Guest guest17301

Any more pros and cons peeps? Would like to keep this thread going if poss. Especially interested in Southern Suburbs xx

Guest mel ward
Anyway! Enough about the weather, lets agree to disagree, lol.

Back to pros and cons of Perth please.

Earlswood, are you still in Northbridge and would you consuder moving to another area? What about Freemantle? Or are you planning on coming back to the Uk?

Hi fiona we are going to perth sec harbour do you know when you are going?

Archived