pros and cons of Perth

Guest guest17301

Guest guest17301

Hi all,

We are on our way to Perth in January. We have made our decision to go there based on extensive online research. I would like to hear opinions (good or bad!!) from anyone already there or been there in the past.

For us the pros are:

-great beaches

-relatively small! quiet city

-family friendly

-good overall climate

-affordable housing (compared to east coast)

-large open spaces

-parks and great scenery

Now the cons:

- isolation-long way to the rest of Oz and other places

- can't think of any others!!

Thoughts please?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Hoys hoping.........

We too are heading to Perth....... so we also will be interested in the responses.:-)

Guest earlswood
Hi all,

We are on our way to Perth in January. We have made our decision to go there based on extensive online research. I would like to hear opinions (good or bad!!) from anyone already there or been there in the past.

For us the pros are:

-great beaches

-relatively small! quiet city

-family friendly

-good overall climate

-affordable housing (compared to east coast)

-large open spaces

-parks and great scenery

Now the cons:

- isolation-long way to the rest of Oz and other places

- can't think of any others!!

Thoughts please?

Good.....Fast food outlets on EVERY corner which I am afraid is my weakness...the aussies do fast-food better than the UK.

Beaches are nice for the kids but make sure they wear a shirt and hat and factor 50 at all times...even when in the water.

Good fishing .

Scuba diving and water sports but watch out for the jellies.

Good transport at a reasonable price.

Nice wildliife.

Bad.

The Perth I live in has the same problems as the UK with crime and anti-social behavior..drugs is a big problem over here..I am being tottaly honest when I say the 2 years I have been here the weather has been no different from London but Perth has had more rain:GEEK:

They have hoons over here and the sound of screeching tyres as they race their cars goes on into the night all over Perth.

Mozzies and flies follow you everywhere.

good.....fast food outlets on every corner which i am afraid is my weakness...the aussies do fast-food better than the uk.

beaches are nice for the kids but make sure they wear a shirt and hat and factor 50 at all times...even when in the water.

good fishing .

scuba diving and water sports but watch out for the jellies.

good transport at a reasonable price.

nice wildliife.

bad.

the perth i live in has the same problems as the uk with crime and anti-social behavior..drugs is a big problem over here..i am being tottaly honest when i say the 2 years i have been here the weather has been no different from london but perth has had more rain:geek:

they have hoons over here and the sound of screeching tyres as they race their cars goes on into the night all over perth.

mozzies and flies follow you everywhere.

ever the optimist eh earls lol .....of course you have hoons where you are ...you are right in the city centre .....and you must have been out the country when i was there last march ...as we had 28 days of unbroken sunshine with lowest temp being 32 and highest being 43 ....and as for the flies following you ..well ...might be time to take a shower lmao

mrs keily

Guest beverley

how can you say the weather has been the same as London!!???? Sorry but i dont agree i speak to my sister every weekend who lives in perth and shes always going for walks on the beach and spending time outside. I spent 3 weeks out there in dec/jan last year and weather was fantastic, it was actually at one point the hottest city in the world! She came over to get married in August and weather here was crap, grey skies and raining pretty much every day, and its supposed to be summer. It was actually better weather in august in perth than in uk!

Im sorry but I disagree lol

Guest earlswood
how can you say the weather has been the same as London!!???? Sorry but i dont agree i speak to my sister every weekend who lives in perth and shes always going for walks on the beach and spending time outside. I spent 3 weeks out there in dec/jan last year and weather was fantastic, it was actually at one point the hottest city in the world! She came over to get married in August and weather here was crap, grey skies and raining pretty much every day, and its supposed to be summer. It was actually better weather in august in perth than in uk!

Im sorry but I disagree lol

We have just gone through the wettest few months on record with really bad flooding, I can only tell you what I have gone through in 2 years and it has not been any better than the weather I witnessed in London 3 years ago....it has it’s nice hot days as London does but it is nowhere near Mediterranean weather if that what people think.

It has been wet and freezing for the last 5 months with a few nice days in between they forcast minus bloody 2 on Friday and I do not have any heating.

We have just gone through the wettest few months on record with really bad flooding, I can only tell you what I have gone through in 2 years and it has not been any better than the weather I witnessed in London 3 years ago....it has it’s nice hot days as London does but it is nowhere near Mediterranean weather if that what people think.

EARLS ...WHAT A LOAD OF SH*T YOU TALK :yes:

ARE YOU SURE YOU AINT IN PERTH SCOTLAND

MRS KEILY

Guest earlswood
EARLS ...WHAT A LOAD OF SH*T YOU TALK :yes:

ARE YOU SURE YOU AINT IN PERTH SCOTLAND

MRS KEILY

:no: ask anyone who lives in Perth about the rain and floods we have had this year, and anywhere has better weather than Scotland to be honest.

Guest guest17301

Anyway! Enough about the weather, lets agree to disagree, lol.

Back to pros and cons of Perth please.

Earlswood, are you still in Northbridge and would you consuder moving to another area? What about Freemantle? Or are you planning on coming back to the Uk?

:no: ask anyone who lives in Perth about the rain and floods we have had this year, and anywhere has better weather than Scotland to be honest.

YEAH ...BUT YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT EARLS ...YOU HAVE JUST COME OUT OF WINTER ....SO WHAT ELSE WERE YOU EXPECTING !!!! ....AT LEAST YOU NOW HAVE AT LEAST 4 MONTHS OF SUNSHINE TO LOOK FORWARD TO ....PEEPS IN UK HAVE FORGOTTEN WHAT SUNSHINE LOOKS LIKE ..LOL 36_1_47.gif

MRS KEILY

Guest Wenders

Spent 6 weeks in perth and had 1 day of rain, the day we arrived.

My sister lives there and she hasn't mentioned any floods. the only thing she said was the other week (at night) it was 2 degrees and they had to put the fire on......think I can cope with that!

Guest earlswood
Anyway! Enough about the weather, lets agree to disagree, lol.

Back to pros and cons of Perth please.

Earlswood, are you still in Northbridge and would you consuder moving to another area? What about Freemantle? Or are you planning on coming back to the Uk?

The only place I would ever live in Perth is Northbrige or freemantle as it at least has a bit of life and of course the biggest problems with anti-social crap etc....other parts of Perth will suit families as they are very quiet and very sleepy, you will like it as a family but as a single bloke it is boring as bat-**** to be honest.

Sorry to hijack your thread fiona going on about weather !!! ....it is however one of the main reasons and probably many other peoples ..why we are emmigrating in the first place ...and i dont think earls is giving the correct info re this

mra keily

Guest earlswood
Spent 6 weeks in perth and had 1 day of rain, the day we arrived.

My sister lives there and she hasn't mentioned any floods. the only thing she said was the other week (at night) it was 2 degrees and they had to put the fire on......think I can cope with that!

It has been bloody cold and wet in Perth for months.....COME ON YOU LOT TELL THEM HOW BLOODY COLD PERTH IS.:skeptical:

Guest guest17301

I can understand where you are coming from Earls, If I was single I daresay I wouldn't even contemplate moving to Perth. Why don't you try Sydney or Brisbane?

I think it's a shame you're not having a great time in Oz, moving might be the best thing you could do...

Guest guest17301
Sorry to hijack your thread fiona going on about weather !!! ....it is however one of the main reasons and probably many other peoples ..why we are emmigrating in the first place ...and i dont think earls is giving the correct info re this

mra keily

I don't think there are many of us who think Earls posts on Perth weather have any credibility! A big shame cos he has some valid and interesting points to make on other topics.

The climate in Perth is a major reason for us going there; 9 months of warm to hot dry weather and 3 months of cool sunny, sometimes stormy days and cold nights. I can deal with that!!

Guest earlswood

mra keily

Coming from scotland means an improvement in the weather anywhere you go in the world:biglaugh:....I am just saying not to expect South of France type weather because it is not.....some very hot nice days but plenty of wet cloudy cold weather over here as well.

Guest earlswood
I don't think there are many of us who think Earls posts on Perth weather have any credibility! A big shame cos he has some valid and interesting points to make on other topics.

The climate in Perth is a major reason for us going there; 9 months of warm to hot dry weather and 3 months of cool sunny, sometimes stormy days and cold nights. I can deal with that!!

ohhhhh Fiona:twitcy: if only that was true.....9 months of nice weather:nah: who gave you that fact....the weather has been mostly rubbish since March.

Guest earlswood
So are you saying that spring and autumn are crap?

The weather has been not that good since March to be honest, and I do not see any improvemnet as it has been freezing for months over here.

Guest guest17301

Depends how you define 'freezing'. Its been 18 or 19c here last weekend and it felt great. Looking at Perths weather it was similar, and its the end of winter there? Speaks for itself really

Guest earlswood
Depends how you define 'freezing'. Its been 18 or 19c here last weekend and it felt great. Looking at Perths weather it was similar, and its the end of winter there? Speaks for itself really

September,,,,,as I say....bloody freezing...-2 on Frday night forcast.

average this month

9.6°C

+0.2°C

lowest this month

-2°C

22nd

lowest on record

-4°C

Guest earlswood

Forget the weather Fiona and enjoy what Perth has to offer for a family....you can still walk on the beach when it is cold as well as when it is hot.:cute:

Archived