Moving to Sydney with young family and do not know where to start Please help!!!

Guest Irishhappymammy

Guest Irishhappymammy

Hi Everyone

Due to the worrying drop in the construction industry in Ireland. We have decided to go over to Oz with our two children age 4yrs and 4months old. We have family in Sydney so I think its a good place to start off.

I know this sounds a little crazy, but im looking for somewhere like ramsey street (IYKWIM) Family friendly, with nice schools and near amenities. My partner is a carpenter so he is confident that there is plenty of work opportunities.

I reckon we will rent and I would like a 3/4 bed with a pool. Is this available? We are also looking at perth but again thats another post im going to put up in the perth forum!

So im very scared and dont know where to start, but we have a chance of a lifetime and really want to see Australia.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me out with any advice on nice family places to live etc.

Hi!

Best thing to do is look at www.realestate.com.au, this will give you an idea about the types of property available to rent, the different areas and prices. Don't be surprised at the cost, Sydney is quite pricey but if you have family there then I'm sure you will know this already. There will always be someone to help out on PIO with regards to opinions on different suburbs. Good luck, happy searching! Cheers Jo

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Everyone

Due to the worrying drop in the construction industry in Ireland. We have decided to go over to Oz with our two children age 4yrs and 4months old. We have family in Sydney so I think its a good place to start off.

I know this sounds a little crazy, but im looking for somewhere like ramsey street (IYKWIM) Family friendly, with nice schools and near amenities. My partner is a carpenter so he is confident that there is plenty of work opportunities.

I reckon we will rent and I would like a 3/4 bed with a pool. Is this available? We are also looking at perth but again thats another post im going to put up in the perth forum!

So im very scared and dont know where to start, but we have a chance of a lifetime and really want to see Australia.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me out with any advice on nice family places to live etc.

Hi there!

We're off to Sydney in 7 weeks and are looking to live in the Hills District (north western suburbs). I grew up in the neighbouring suburb of Carlingford (have lived in the UK for 18 years) - all that area, IMOH, is kind of like neighbours - large family houses, big gardens, pools, bushland, recreation grounds and good schools - which is why we've chosen to stick to that area. I would highly recommend that area for family life - and it's not too far from the city, if you want a night off from the kids!! You're also near to Parramatta which is good for office-type work (without having to commute into the City). If you want more detailed info on the area, feel free to ask! Good luck!

Guest bubsblooms

Hi, We lived in South Sydney - Gymea and Cronulla - which are really very family friendly. My husband is a carpenter too and found the area really commutable for work as you are well placed for inner city or suburbs. I had my youngest there and we just loved the community feel - plus it is coastal unlike Parramatta so all the real bonuses of moving to Oz are on your doorstep. Rentals are maybe a little higher than Parramatta or the surrounding areas but it depends what you want really. Your husband shouldn't have too much trouble finding chippy work but if he wants a contact or two I am sure my husband can give him some numbers! We plan to move back next year for good - it'll be to Bulli this time!! Good luck ; )

Guest Irishhappymammy

Thanks for the replies girls we are about to submit our application so will see how that goes first and then go from there Carlingford sounds lovely will look that up !!

• 1 month later...
Hi there!

We're off to Sydney in 7 weeks and are looking to live in the Hills District (north western suburbs). I grew up in the neighbouring suburb of Carlingford (have lived in the UK for 18 years) - all that area, IMOH, is kind of like neighbours - large family houses, big gardens, pools, bushland, recreation grounds and good schools - which is why we've chosen to stick to that area. I would highly recommend that area for family life - and it's not too far from the city, if you want a night off from the kids!! You're also near to Parramatta which is good for office-type work (without having to commute into the City). If you want more detailed info on the area, feel free to ask! Good luck!

Hi We are moving to Sydney in December and your post was so relevant as we are looking to live in the North West. Are there any trains near Carlingford? What are the names of the good schools in that area?

Thanks I would def be interested in more information on this area: rubydhat@xtra.co.nz if you can, thanks.

Ruby :jiggy:

Hi We are moving to Sydney in December and your post was so relevant as we are looking to live in the North West. Are there any trains near Carlingford? What are the names of the good schools in that area?

Thanks I would def be interested in more information on this area: rubydhat@xtra.co.nz if you can, thanks.

Ruby :jiggy:

Hi Ruby! No problem. Yes, Carlingford has a train station - albeit a small one! I'll send you a PM with info.

Jo

• 3 months later...
Guest Danny & Craig Henry

Hi All

We are coming to Australia in 4 weeks to look around for a place to live. My husband is a plumber and I am a manager. We have daughter age two so are looking for a family friendly place to live with excellent schools. I hopefully will be transfering to BT so it is essential we are near to Sydney but we want to spend around $400,000 on an house. Any ideas would be great so we can get organised for our vist.

Thanks

Danielle & Craig

:wacko:

• 1 month later...

Hi Irishhappymammy,

We are in a similar position to you (i think!), we are an Irish couple from Dublin and we are making our 176 NSW application in the next week or so, once the skills assessment finally returns.

We have a little girl 3 and we hope to move to Syndey within 12 months so we are starting to look at suburbs etc. So far it has been the North Shore, we'd love house with pool and close to beach. I dont mind a 45 min/1 hr drive to city (assuming I get a job! lol).

As the time gets closer we would love to get to know others that are going and maybe meet up there...just so we dont feel we know nobody!

regards

Karl

Guest narrabeen
Hi All

We are coming to Australia in 4 weeks to look around for a place to live. My husband is a plumber and I am a manager. We have daughter age two so are looking for a family friendly place to live with excellent schools. I hopefully will be transfering to BT so it is essential we are near to Sydney but we want to spend around $400,000 on an house. Any ideas would be great so we can get organised for our vist.

Thanks

Danielle & Craig

Hey guys,

Unfortunately, all you would manage in Sydney (Northern Beach Area) would be a small 2bed unit for $400K, you would prob need to move out west to be able to get a house. Am sure most of sydney coastal suburbs would be the same, less you went further north/south which would leave you with quite a commute.

:arghh:

Hi All

Thanks

Danielle & Craig

Have a look at the Hills District. Good family area. Look at Baulkham Hills, Winston Hills.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest audreypcallaghan

Moved to Sydney in December from Ireland, living in Menai in Sutherland Shire, area is family friendly and great schools, would recomend it. Close to shopping areas and beaches.:smile:

Guest carolinewinder

Also hoping to move from Ireland to Either NSW or Victoria, we are still deciding on best area's for family of 2 boys aged 12 and 4. looking at Albury but we need somewhere that my husband would be able to get work.he is a painter and decorator. waiting to hear back from TRA about assessment.

The choice is amazing of wonderful places to live but i would love to find a place that my husband would be content and busy with work, the kids happy in their new school is it really possible to get this all, and for me to be able to pick up a part time job in an office and be extremly happy and content with life.

i dont ask for much.

Guest Rose Red

Hi,

I live about 45 mins SW Sydney in the Liverpool/Fairfield area. A lot of the houses in our area have pools and are approx $400k. We are not close to the beach but I do go to the beach a lot with my three lads. I go down to the north Wollongong beaches which are really nice and are about 1 hr away. They are very family friendly. My area also has a huge mix of schools and many are private schools.Hope this helps.:eek::jiggy:

Guest Rose Red

Terrigal is in the area known as the Central Coast of Sydney. It is about 1 1/2 hours on the motorway (if u get a good drive) but a lot of people commute from up there because there isn't a lot of work up there.

Guest carolinewinder

Thanks Red Rose

You didnt say whether or not you are orginally from Australia or not. will look into the areas that you have mentioned.

I am more inclined now to go to NSW as i feel there will be more opertunities for work for my husband.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Shreen
Hi All

Thanks

Danielle & Craig

Hi Danielle & Craig,

Be great to know how you and your oh are getting on in Sydney. My oh is a plumber also and are planning on moving next year. We are worried about him finding work, even though its a year away and things can change be good to know how you are getting on and finding it. Hope to hear from you soon.

Many thanks,

Shreen

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Kaydee

I'm living in Sutherland - highly recommend it. Great schools, sports facilities, close to the beach, about thirty five minutes away from the CBD by train - and prices aren't as expensive as other coastal locations in Sydney

• 4 weeks later...
Guest charmed

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I'm from Singapore and we're moving to Sydney in Nov of this year. We're looking at Sutherland area because this is where I got a job. What are the good primary schools in Sutherland area (or nearby areas) that you can recommend?

Archived