Melb east and south v western suburbs

Petals

Many people ask questions about the differences of these areas and today in the Herald Sun there is an article about the differences. Its a shame that services are not as good in the west but obviously it is so.

For anyone who is interested and thinking of coming to Melbourne the article may help.

Melbourne&squo;s north and west left behind | Herald Sun

Guest The Pom Queen

Umm yes I read this in the paper this morning. It really does paint a glum picture of North and West Melbourne. I have always prefered the East and South East Suburbs but it doesn't mean that we all have the same taste, there are people in the West who love it there.

That is true but the resources are not keeping up with the population and happiness is dependent on being able to access all of the things people are used to. Of course the article is a generalisation and there will be some areas better serviced than others but people need to be aware when coming to a new country or a new town for that matter what services they need for their own lifestyle and are they readily available in the areas they are interested in living in

Read many posts about broadband for instance and most people are anxious about schooling so they need to make as many inquiries as they can. Coming from Britain which is a well serviced country to a large country like Australia where its difficult to provide infrastructure and our population is much smaller people need to know it may be quite different in some areas.

Being well informed helps people settle easier I believe.

Thanks for posting that. It is very informative. We are looking on the internet at different homes for sale all over the Melbourne area. We have a copy of the Melbourne Area Guide yet it doesnt give you a true idea of recources etc. Only crime rates which, when reflected as figues, are difficult to realise.

Wondered where you would recommend? My husband will most probably have to travel to CBD, we have 2 young kids, not bothered about being really close to beach (but would like a garden big enough for a pool). My husband is a golf addict, so close (pref walking distance) to a golf club would be a huge advantage. We have looked at places like Sandhurst, Settler's Run & Sanctuary Lakes but it is difficult to tell what the areas are like from 20,000 miles away! Any advice would be appreciated. (Sorry, to have steered the post in another direction).

Rachael x

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for posting that. It is very informative. We are looking on the internet at different homes for sale all over the Melbourne area. We have a copy of the Melbourne Area Guide yet it doesnt give you a true idea of recources etc. Only crime rates which, when reflected as figues, are difficult to realise.

Wondered where you would recommend? My husband will most probably have to travel to CBD, we have 2 young kids, not bothered about being really close to beach (but would like a garden big enough for a pool). My husband is a golf addict, so close (pref walking distance) to a golf club would be a huge advantage. We have looked at places like Sandhurst, Settler's Run & Sanctuary Lakes but it is difficult to tell what the areas are like from 20,000 miles away! Any advice would be appreciated. (Sorry, to have steered the post in another direction).

Rachael x

Hi Rachael

I think Sandhurst is definately the best, even the PGA thought so when they chose Sandhurst as their head quarters:notworthy:

Not only do you have the Golf Course in Sandhurst but there are another 5 courses within 10-20 minutes drive and another 5 within 30 minute drive.

I created a suburb guide for Sandhurst which you can find here along with an idea of property available on the estate and photos. Moving to Melbourne: Sandhurst Suburb Guide

Hope this helps.

Guest crazychick

Thanks for that it was interesting

but would like a garden big enough for a pool x

I have been looking at houses all day and none have pools do people in melbourne not bother because of the weather?

Guest mandisfam

Hi, thanks for the link, it made interesting reading.

I wonder what Geoff's opinion the link would be.......Geoff, are you going to say anything???

Mandisfam

When going in to the developments with water supplied and golf courses etc check the body corporate annual fees as they are paid every year and will go up every year. If you have a mortgage and the body corporate fees plus rates it can be quite expensive to live in these areas. There are other areas close to golf courses too and I guess you husband will pick a course he likes. Golfers that I know have preferred courses that they like to play at. Also they all have a different fee structure.

Its really best to come here and rent and then look around and see where you want to live it may be somewhere quite different to the areas that others/me like.

Guest The Pom Queen
When going in to the developments with water supplied and golf courses etc check the body corporate annual fees as they are paid every year and will go up every year. If you have a mortgage and the body corporate fees plus rates it can be quite expensive to live in these areas. .

Hi Sue

You are quite right, the Body Corp can be quite expensive and really does need to be taken in to account. On any new estate where they have facilities then body corp usually comes in to play and a lot of people forget about this.

Didnt know about Body Corp - thought that would be covered by golf membership. I guess that could be quite a lot then. Explains why Sandhurst seems quite cheap compared to some other areas we have looked at. It does look fab - thanks for the guide MovingtoMelbourne - will have a look at it now. Very helpful of you. Whereabouts r u based?

Guest The Pom Queen
Didnt know about Body Corp - thought that would be covered by golf membership. I guess that could be quite a lot then. Explains why Sandhurst seems quite cheap compared to some other areas we have looked at. It does look fab - thanks for the guide MovingtoMelbourne - will have a look at it now. Very helpful of you. Whereabouts r u based?

Hi Rachael

I just replied on another thread, I didn't realise we had ended up with two lol:biglaugh:

Ok, I have spoke with Adam down at Sandhurst, they don't call it Body Corporate as what he says is that the Sandhurst Club are responsible for all the greens, facilities etc, however, you purchase a share in the club which is $2500 a year.

Wayne the manager for the golf club has sent me the following information in regards to Golf Membership.

"

Sandhurst Club is a modern venue with state-of-the-art facilities and a championship golf setup throughout, and all just over 30 minutes drive from the CBD of Melbourne via the Monash Freeway.

Members have the right to use the first class facilities that Sandhurst Club has to offer, including:

Ø The North Course, designed by 5 Times British Open Champion Peter Thomson

Ø The Champion’s Course, featuring a contrasting ‘sandbelt’ style of course to the more open North Course

Ø Modern practice facilities, including a two tier, 270 metre driving range, practice greens, and practice bunkers

Ø The stunning clubhouse, which includes a members’ spike bar and restaurant, providing sweeping views across the North Course and Dandenong Ranges.

In addition all golf members have access to the Recreation Club. The facilities include a gymnasium, swimming pool (25 metre-4 lane indoor) and spa facilities which opened on January 26th, 2007.

All playing rights are for 7 day a week membership.

Membership costs at present are as follows:

Option 1

Ø Lease of an Individual Share is by way of payment of another member’s annual subscription. The 2008/2009 yearly fee figure is $2930 (all inclusive gst, annual subscriptions, hospitality levy etc), and also include a compulsory competition fee component.

Ø This lease is for a minimum of 12 months, maximum of 6 years, and the $2930 must be paid up front in a single lump sum (some potential for a discount on this figure is possible)

Option 2

Ø If you would prefer the security of owning your own membership, rather than renting one then your choices are as follows:

Ø Individual Share – One person playing right - Outright purchase from $19,500 (single payment) or $21,000 (over 3 payments of $7,000 each)

Ø Family Share – Two Players of playing rights - Outright purchase from $32,000

Ø Corporate Share – Between 2 and 4 Players worth of playing rights – Outright purchase from $39,000

Ø A limited number of transferable shares are available at discounted prices, some up to half price (compared to the above price listing) through the secondary market at present, please call to find out more

Ø These share memberships at Sandhurst Club are fully transferable (ie can be sold in the future), can be rented out and can be bequeathed

Ø If you purchase this type of membership then the Annual Fees can be paid at just over $227 per month inclusive of all charges and taxes

Option 3

Ø Lifetime Membership. This non ownership option is currently very close to being oversubscribed, and only 30 still remain.

Ø This membership is effectively only for golf playing rights, and is not transferrable, and no change of player can occur under it

Hope this gives you some ideas of costs Rachael:wubclub:

Kate

Guest Hello Kitty

Rachael x

We have friends who live at Sandhurst. It is a very nice estate and some areas are more established than others on the outskirts of the development. There are bike paths all around which is good for kids and a large club house in the centre of the golf course. Alot of people have their own golf buggies which they use to drive around. Our friends have a large house with quite a big block with swimming pool. The houses have to fit certain criteria in terms of colour and design. It is quite green as it has its own recycled water supply. The disadvantage of Sandhurst is that it is a bit isolated and you would need a car to get to the shops or anywhere else for that matter and there is no train station close by. There are other suburbs such as Cheltenham, Beaumaris, Black Rock, Sandringham that have golf courses all around but these are older and more expensive suburbs. The advantages of these suburbs though is proximity to the beach and the ability to walk to your local shops and train station.

Guest The Pom Queen
The disadvantage of Sandhurst is that it is a bit isolated and you would need a car to get to the shops or anywhere else for that matter and there is no train station close by. There are other suburbs such as Cheltenham, Beaumaris, Black Rock, Sandringham that have golf courses all around but these are older and more expensive suburbs. The advantages of these suburbs though is proximity to the beach and the ability to walk to your local shops and train station.

Hi Hello Kitty

The train station at Merinda Park is 5km (4 minutes away), the one at Cranbourne is 10km and the one at Chelsea is 8km away so not that far. The beach is a 5 minute drive so again not so far. However, you are right in that you would need a car as there are no shops on the complex yet, the nearest Safeways supermarket and shopping centre is 4.5km away.

We lived in Beaumaris but we needed a car to get to the shops/schools from there.:wubclub:

Guest Hello Kitty
Hi Hello Kitty

The train station at Merinda Park is 5km (4 minutes away), the one at Cranbourne is 10km and the one at Chelsea is 8km away so not that far. The beach is a 5 minute drive so again not so far. However, you are right in that you would need a car as there are no shops on the complex yet, the nearest Safeways supermarket and shopping centre is 4.5km away.

We lived in Beaumaris but we needed a car to get to the shops/schools from there.:wubclub:

I didn't realise that the train was 5km away. It's just that when we visit our friends there it seems like there is not much around outside the estate itself and seems cut off in a way. It is a very nice place to live though and I can see the appeal of it to many people especially those that like golf. It seems a social type of place too as they are always getting together with their neighbours there and if you go to the club house you get to know people in the area.

Do any of you know if there are cycle sheds/storage facilities at the train stations - the Uk (well our local station anyway) is a bit backward with this but I understand other places have these. 5 km is a nice bike ride (although perhaps not in 40 degrees heat)!

Kate, thanks for all your help, it is really appreciated. Hello Kitty - I presume your friends like it, do they? We are thinking that we will probably aim to rent here to see if we like it when we 1st arrive. The community being quite close may help us settle more quickly. We'll see...

Thanks

Rach

There are storage facilities at the Frankston Station but its a manned station and a lot of stations have no staff so cannot really help with other ones and you would have to look at the metlink site to see.

I would not be biking from Sandhurst as the roads around there are totally congested in peak hour and its dangerous. Unless there was a bike path no no. My husband biked to work on occasions from the Peninsula to Carrum and he took the Nepean Highway and I worried every time he did it.

I would live much closer to the stations and look at Carrum itself on the train line, Chelsea, Bon Beach, Edithvale, Mordialloc, Seaford or even Frankston because next to the train is best.

Guest The Pom Queen
There are storage facilities at the Frankston Station but its a manned station and a lot of stations have no staff so cannot really help with other ones and you would have to look at the metlink site to see.

I would not be biking from Sandhurst as the roads around there are totally congested in peak hour and its dangerous. Unless there was a bike path no no. My husband biked to work on occasions from the Peninsula to Carrum and he took the Nepean Highway and I worried every time he did it.

I would live much closer to the stations and look at Carrum itself on the train line, Chelsea, Bon Beach, Edithvale, Mordialloc, Seaford or even Frankston because next to the train is best.

Sue

Do you mean for biking down to Frankston station, as there would be no need? Biking to Merinda or Cranbourne, there are bike paths all around and there is a place to rack your bike.

The only road that is congested and nightmares at rush hour is the Thompsons Road/Western Port Highway Roundabout Junction, where you can sit for 10 minutes I know this because I travel to take my children to school everyday. It is still better than sitting on the Monash for 2 hours:SLEEP: The rest of the roads are perfect and are not congested at all. They are currently widening Thompsons Road and then it is going to be totally perfect:jiggy:

I guess its up to the individual and you will find out when you come where to ride and not to ride. Cyclists do get knocked off bikes around here and its a worry. They are not tolerated by some of the population. I loved the one where they hit the cyclist knocked him off his bike and he was a cop, so they got it then.

There is a large volume of cyclists now and plenty of clubs, my oh member of the Southern Vets who hold races each weekend and in the week. Audax is alive and well, plenty of bike trails for mountain biking. OH has both so he goes off with my son and does it.

Anyone into climbing mountains they have the Alpine Classic in Bright every year and my oh has done it a few times. Three different rides, up Mount Buffalo, one, Mount Buffalo, Towonga Gap and Falls Creek another, and Mount Buffalo, Towonga Gap, Falls Creek and Mount Buffalo again for the hardy people. When we first went it was a small number now its so big and so popular.

Round the Bay in a Day is popular too and dh used to do it every year. Its in October.

Guest The Pom Queen
Sounds as if my hubby could easily cycle to Cranbourne or Merinda then - and then the train journey would be 45 mins to CBD ?

Thanks for all your inputs

45 Minutes to the MCG

55 minutes to Flinders Street

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update Kate,

We contacted Sandhurst and they posted out a huge load of info for us. It cost them $40 to send it!!! It looks lovely. Included and DVD which was great to show relatives. I think we will definitely be aiming to start by renting in Sandhurst ....

Guest The Pom Queen
Just a quick update Kate,

We contacted Sandhurst and they posted out a huge load of info for us. It cost them $40 to send it!!! It looks lovely. Included and DVD which was great to show relatives. I think we will definitely be aiming to start by renting in Sandhurst ....

Hi Racht

Super news, wow they must have blown their mail budget posting that out:biglaugh:

I am not sure if you have the link but here is a list of rental properties available on Sandhurst there may be more but these are the ones done through Sandhurst themselves. Sandhurst Real Estate Agent, Patterson Lakes Real Estate - Sandhurst Residential Sales

Like you say if you rent there you can get a feel for the place and decide whether to purchase there or not.

Guest owdgrandad

so much for comparing the eastern suburbs with the west, doubt if they have a golf club in the west, they are too busy trying to survive.

I lived in Bayswater/Belgrave/Mitcham during my time in Melbourne and we had family and rellies in St Albans/Sunshine, the OH was actually born in Sunshine, but i digress , the east and west are like chalk and cheese.

The west is very flat, uninteresting , and appears , to me anyway to be very old, whereas the outer eastern suburbs are fresh and modern and with the hills etc a whole lot better place to live.

I dont mean to get into delicate issues, but the west and north is very Greek. Italian and to a degree German orientated where the east is very English.I suppose its just one of those things, people do tend to be more comfortable amongst their own.

Getting back to the original point, on the whole the eastern /south eastern subs win hands down.

Im speaking from 23 years experience, though i now live in France and im loving it.!!!!!

Guest The Pom Queen

I agree that personally I prefer the South East over the West, however, there are lots of people who are very happy in the West and like it has been said on here before not everyone is the same.

Archived