What do you really miss from home??

Herbster

It's A gorgeous Sunny Day in Tass, doing my ironing, windows open: Spring really in the air, listening to Opera, :spinny: Muse, Bob Seger, Everclear - and realizing I feel ever-so slightly homesick - but not really for England, my other home for 13 years in between - I'd love to walk down the boardwalk in Santa Cruz, CA, USA, or ride the ferry across to Victoria from Vancouver, or ride the Chicago lake front on my bike, or maybe even be on the North York Moors or looking at the ruins of the pier at Weston-super-Mare, or sitting in a sidewalk cafe in Malaga old town, drinking a blanco-negro... Very Strange... I even feel like getting in the car & driving down the 101 - so far away, & I'm afraid of earthquakes!:radar:

Apart from Friends & Family - that are a given - what do you really miss from home/your Old Life - wherever that may be... (Bit controversial, but an Inquiring Bear,can't help but PONDER...)???

X

Guest The Pom Queen

Probably the rain:jiggy: No seriously I think it has to be take away food and family. I miss a good old english Curry and also proper fish and chips wrapped in Newspaper. Yesterday we went to the beach and sat on the boardwalk with a fish and chips but it just wasn't the same.

I miss taking my dog for a walk through the woods in winter, going to the Lakes District camping and definitly a proper take-away!

OH NO!!! Don't mention Missing Pets (Companion Animals) either :cry:

X

(They don't wrap F&C in real newsprint any more :sad: Might be bad for you!)

Guest annmackem

:yes:It has to be toasted teacakes,babycham,British bacon and sausage.Love to all from Ann on the Gold coast (originally fron Sunderland)

It has to be toasted teacakes,babycham,British bacon and sausage.Love to all from Ann on the Gold coast (originally fron Sunderland)

Thank YOU! And WELCOME! to POMs in OZ annmackem ! :yes:

Our local butcher in Snug does Fab bacon, but sausages aren't so good... We had to hunt Hi & Low in UK for good ones, as we don't like supermarket variety, so a Big Up to CRANSTON's in HEXHAM! Best saysgaes ever! YEA!! :notworthy:

USA def has some of the worst sausages, of the English variety, that is (German, Polish are different & good!)

X

I went to visit my parents in France (they have a second home there) and they can't get any sort of bacon at all! The only stuff in the supermarkets near them was like ham without any real flavour. I hope the bacon in Oz isn't as bad as some people say; I guess I'll just have to find a good butcher!

Guest annmackem

Havnt found a decent steak and kidney pie yet and we have been here for 32 years, they are all mince meat.I miss Malt Loaf as well but ive found Lurpak . butter in Wollies and Coles.English Fish and Chips !!!!!!!! Oh YUM:yes:

Guest *KAY TEE*
Havnt found a decent steak and kidney pie yet and we have been here for 32 years, they are all mince meat.I miss Malt Loaf as well but ive found Lurpak . butter in Wollies and Coles.English Fish and Chips !!!!!!!! Oh YUM:yes:

Why cant you get steak & Kidney pie, cant you ask the butcher.xx From a fellow mackhem :cute:

Guest annmackem

We can get pies here but they are not as good as they are in the UK. They are all mince and not chunks of steak.They are expensive too.Pies in the Supermarkets are rubbish so we now make our own:yes: Regards from Ann

How dare you criticise the great aussie pie!! You would think the aussies invented them the way they puff their chests out and get teary eyed at the slightest mention of a "meat"pie.

Why cant you get steak & Kidney pie, cant you ask the butcher.xx From a fellow mackhem

I think you can, mackem.. . I've made steak & kidney pie since I've been here in Tassie, but I go to a good butcher where everything is quality, mostly free-range, hormone-free, & you can always ask for what you want if you don't see it. One old X-pat, I know, was telling me how he particularly liked equal quantities in his steak & kidney pies & how his wife made them regularly during the winter & they've lived all over OZ.

Probably depends where you live, if you are a long way from farming centers, also remember the drought has caused much disruption to supply, then those items will be either very expensive or hard to come by. Also it will depend on what the locals like, & demand; however animals are not without kidneys, so I think all you have to do is ask your butcher & he'll be happy to provide....

Also if you are curious about why MEAT pies taste the way they do, then seek out the website for the meat pies & pea Floaters, you'll be shocked... and be making your own pies in future! :yes:

Is it really you? Tell me it's true. :jiggy:

control yourself woman, i got a lot of love to give but you'll have to wait your turn.

Now go have a cold shower..

I think you can, mackem.. . I've made steak & kidney pie since I've been here in Tassie, but I go to a good butcher where everything is quality, mostly free-range, hormone-free, & you can always ask for what you want if you don't see it. One old X-pat, I know, was telling me how he particularly liked equal quantities in his steak & kidney pies & how his wife made them regularly during the winter & they've lived all over OZ.

Probably depends where you live, if you are a long way from farming centers, also remember the drought has caused much disruption to supply, then those items will be either very expensive or hard to come by. Also it will depend on what the locals like, & demand; however animals are not without kidneys, so I think all you have to do is ask your butcher & he'll be happy to provide....

Also if you are curious about why MEAT pies taste the way they do, then seek out the website for the meat pies & pea Floaters, you'll be shocked... and be making your own pies in future! :yes:

Who said australia had NO culture?

• 2 weeks later...

I miss been around people able to have a laugh at their own expense. I miss humour that does not need canned laughter to be funny. Good TV dramas ( apart from austar stuff) , fish and chips, mushy peas, christmmas that feels like christmas, seasons, history, culture , green green not brown green , ooohh yeah and the local miss my local...and proper entertainment for the kids, proper caravans and wacky warehouses etc etc etc

What I miss from UK: Saturday Post/Mail - wasn't always bills & if you pay online the Mail isn't so unwelcome - might be a treat from Friends or Family! :jiggy:

I / WE Miss central heating, insulation (so all your heat/cooling isn't wasted on the great OUTDOORS!) double glazing (ditto!) :swoon:

Trying to get services after 6pm, weekdays or on a Saturday (as we're all working till 6pm so how can we get to Dr, Dentist, Chiropractor, Hair salon/Barber??) I expected the shops to be open less hours, but seems those folks still work just as long & hard and Sundays too! We need a Barber, Dentist & a Chiropractor, so what can we do?! HELP!

Wishful - where are you? You might prefer Tassie - we get proper Seasons - frost & everything in the winter + gorgeous sunny days, Spring with blossoms (if the possums don't eat then all!) hot days & cool days, calm days & windy bits in between - great food, Hobart has smashing theater & lots of it, it's a relaxed & very friendly city and has the feel of an older town about it, some sense of History in it's Victorian/Edwardian buildings - and apparently at Christmas, while I guess it can't be like the Northern Hemisphere, everything fun seems to happen here then, which I'm assured makes it a special time & the busiest time for friends & family to visit...

Oh yes and the grass is really green now!!!

Guest YellowGecko
We can get pies here but they are not as good as they are in the UK. They are all mince and not chunks of steak.They are expensive too.Pies in the Supermarkets are rubbish so we now make our own:yes: Regards from Ann

Aren't they dreadful??!! A meat pie, to me, implies hunks of meat inside, but as you say, it's all rubbish mince! And pricey mince, at that.

God bless Syd's Pies in Loganholme! He knows his stuff! :smile:

Jo x

• 2 weeks later...

Archived