Edinburgh to Melbourne

Guest Janey

Hi my name is Jane. This is the first time I have been on PIO. Myself, husband David and kids Jack and Ellie will be moving to Melbourne at the start of the year. My OH was over two weeks ago and loved it. Unfortunatly he was so busy with interviews that he never really had a chance to view many areas. We have friends who live in Seddon and they took him round that area. People also told him that Yarraville and Williamstown were nice area's. At the moment we live in a lovely area in Edinburgh and our local primary school is very good. Could anyone give me some advice on areas that are great for family's and have good schools. It is all happening very fast and I am not sure if we should all come together in Jan or I should wait till March and give OH a chance to find something before we all come. Does anyone have experience of their kids joining school in the second term. It worries me if they don't start in Jan they will find it hard to settle in. Sorry they are 9 and seven. I am sure i have so much more to ask so sorry to ask what must have been asked a million times.

X

Hi Janey, welcome to PIO. We don't have young children so can't help there but there is bound to be someone who can! We have just returned from a two week trip to Melbourne, looking around various areas and we have fallen in love with Mornington. If your OH has to commute to the city it would be a bit far though. We also love Williamstown but it is more expensive - although it is nearer the city. We also live in a lovely area in the UK which makes it much much harder!

This is a great site and no-one ever minds you asking questions, so feel free!

hi there we are moving to Melbourne on the 30th Nov this year, are children are age 12 and 6, havent even registerd them yet because untill my visa came last week we were unsure as to when we would arrive.We are hoping that they will settle in ok as they will actually come back a school year when they start in Australia as they dont start over there till they are 6 anyway., so will be going from year 8 (uk) to year (7) australia.and year (1) uk to reception again Australia if that makes sense

There are lots of nice areas around Melbourne depends where you will be working as its such a large spread out city. I always think its best to find an area that is closer to work as this gives more time for the family.

As for starting school as long as the children start at the beginning of a term I think its ok. There will always be another new child as people move around a lot here.

I think I would let oh come first and sort out where to live this does take the pressure off a bit when you have children.

The areas you have mentioned are very nice and if you feel comfortable there then have a look at Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au for rental and buying property in the areas. Also check out the council web sites and find out about the areas you are interested in.

:smile:

Thanks for all your replies. OH will be working in the CBD on Collins. We have also heard that Essedon is nice. Its very hard to know what area's are nice. I would just like a safe friendly neighbourhood with good schools. I know it will be harder for me than the kids and OH, as they will get a network quickly. Looking forward to going to get togthers with other ex pats. I am sure I will meet Mums from the school. I don't think I will be out till March now. If we get there well before the Easter holidays hopefully it will give me time to get the kids ready for school, as my OH will have got a house by then. Does anyone know when you go to view a house for rent do you have to offer there and then to take it. I have heard it is very busy at viewings. Thanks in advance.

Janey

Guest cbr1100XX

Hi

We arrived in Nov and got a rental property begining in Dec. I put my daughter (9 at the time) in to school for the last two weeks of term before the summer hols. This was more for her to meet friends rather than lose any schooling.

It worked too. We were sat on the local beach through Christmas and there were plenty of her class mates to play with.

good luck

cbr...

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Jane

Welcome to PIO, good luck with your move. In regards to suburbs may I suggest the following for being lovely suburbs, within easy reach of the CBD and near the beach:

Williamstown

Beaumaris

Sandringham

Brighton

Mentone

Another lovely area is South Yarra and Toorak

There are some of the best schools in these suburbs and they are all beautiful.

In regards to schooling, Australian schools are behind in education so it will not affect them academically to start mid year. If they were either starting primary school in Prep or Secondary in Yr 7 then I would recommend waiting till January so that they all make friends from the start. However, you will find that the children will make them feel at home which ever year they start.

Good luck and if I can help at all please don't hesitate to ask away.

Hello Jane

We moved to Williamstown in June this year and absolutely love it. Our girls are 6 & 7 and go to Williamstown North Primary School. They joined at the end of term 2 but have settled so well it's amazing. The mums (and dads) are really friendly and made an effort to come over and introduce themselves. I have already had one night out with a few of them while hubby babysat and there is another one planned for next week. The school is brilliant and the kids are friendly and well behaved (until they get home of course). We are so close to the city yet we have a real community feel. Just looking forward to the summer now with lazy days on the beach... while hubby is chasing kids around.

If you need any more info feel free to PM me.

Emma x

Thanks for all your help. Great about the suburbs I have had a look tonight and they all look nice. Your school in williamstown sounds great. I feel more at ease now you said how everyone is so friendly. How quick can you get your kids into school. We are looking at rent of around $500 dollars a week. Hopefully we should get a nice house for that. Are there many meets of felow poms regularly. Sorry for another question. Are there many radio stations in Melbourne. I have worked in our local station for many years and might like to get a similar job over there.

Thanks again

Jane

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Jane

We do have get togethers for fellow poms and they are usually once a month in the summer months.

In regards to $500 here are a few properties that are available for rental at the moment:

Beaumaris

1/376 BALCOMBE ROAD BEAUMARIS

1 CLIFF GROVE BEAUMARIS

Mentone

2/15 COOLABAH STREET MENTONE

16 RIVIERA STREET MENTONE

Brighton

6/260 ST KILDA STREET BRIGHTON

Williamstown

16 NAPIER STREET WILLIAMSTOWN

66 RAILWAY CRESCENT WILLIAMSTOWN

To be honest you may find you will get a lot more for your money in the South East Suburbs.

Sandhurst

26 O'KEEFE TERRACE SANDHURST

Berwick

1/14 MCNABB STREET BERWICK

1/4 BUCHANAN ROAD BERWICK

Patterson Lakes

68 SCARBOROUGH DRIVE PATTERSON LAKES

12 MANHATTAN COURT PATTERSON LAKES

Here is a list of all the radio stations in Melbourne I think the most popular are Fox Fm and Mix FM 101.1 http://www.geocities.com/radio1600/

Hope this helps.

What a great selection of property. Are the schools good in all those suburbs. Do you know how far the CBD is from Pattersons Lakes. It looks like a very new estate, is it quite established now. Thanks for the radio info. After working in it for 23 years I thought it would be easier to see if I could continue. Could you tell me are most of the properties to rent unfurnished.

Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen
What a great selection of property. Are the schools good in all those suburbs. Do you know how far the CBD is from Pattersons Lakes. It looks like a very new estate, is it quite established now. Thanks for the radio info. After working in it for 23 years I thought it would be easier to see if I could continue. Could you tell me are most of the properties to rent unfurnished.

Thanks

Hi Janey

You will find that there are some great schools associated with those suburbs. Patterson Lakes is around 35km from Melbourne CBD and would take around 1 hour to drive in. There is a train station 1 mile away that takes you in to the city. Patterson Lakes has a mixture of properties from the old style red brick single storey to the modern double storeys, prices range from $250k for a 3 bedroom house to $4million

It is very hard to find a long term furnished rental in Australia, especially Melbourne, I would say 98% of long term rentals are unfurnished. The only furnished properties you see are holiday rentals or your short term expat accommodation.

Hope this helps

Kate

Guest Mike&Fiona

Hi All

Watching this thread with much interest as we too may be moving to Melbourne. My husband has been offered a job which he is yet still to accept, we are still trying to weigh up the pros and cons. We too do not live in a bad area of the UK, in fact it is very nice with good schools. This is making our decision harder. Would love to just take the chance and off we go to the land down under but we have two girls and we need think about them also. Eldest daughter is 10 (11 in Oct) and has just started P7 in the scottish schooling system. Youngest is 8 (9 in Jan) and she has just started P4. My concern is really about schooling and we are happy to try and find rental accommodation to fit in around the school. As long as my girls are happy I'm sure everything will be a lot easier. I think a primary school will be no bother as I have been searching the net and have been finding quite a few nice ones but it really is the secondary education that I'm not sure about. Don't really want to go private so are looking for good state run secondary, does anyone have any ideas where I could start looking. We are hoping to be based on the east side of Melbourne. Sorry to go on a bit and hope I haven't taken over this thread, it is not my intention at all. Any info would be greatly appreciate to help us make our decision.

Fiona

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi All

Watching this thread with much interest as we too may be moving to Melbourne. My husband has been offered a job which he is yet still to accept, we are still trying to weigh up the pros and cons. We too do not live in a bad area of the UK, in fact it is very nice with good schools. This is making our decision harder. Would love to just take the chance and off we go to the land down under but we have two girls and we need think about them also. Eldest daughter is 10 (11 in Oct) and has just started P7 in the scottish schooling system. Youngest is 8 (9 in Jan) and she has just started P4. My concern is really about schooling and we are happy to try and find rental accommodation to fit in around the school. As long as my girls are happy I'm sure everything will be a lot easier. I think a primary school will be no bother as I have been searching the net and have been finding quite a few nice ones but it really is the secondary education that I'm not sure about. Don't really want to go private so are looking for good state run secondary, does anyone have any ideas where I could start looking. We are hoping to be based on the east side of Melbourne. Sorry to go on a bit and hope I haven't taken over this thread, it is not my intention at all. Any info would be greatly appreciate to help us make our decision.

Fiona

Hi Fiona

Congratulations on your hubbys job offer:wubclub:

I am more than happy to help, where abouts will your husband be working as you will need to have an easy commute. Also roughly what is your budget for accommodation per week.

Take care

Kate

Guest Mike&Fiona

Kate

He will be based at Mulgrave, which I believe is on the east side. Hopefully our weekly rental budget will be around the $500 mark.

Fiona

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Fiona

You are lucky as there are some lovely suburbs within easy commute of Mulgrave.

Glen Waverley and Mt Waverley have good secondary schools:

Huntingtower - Mt Waverley - 100% pass VET, 100% pass VCE's and 94% go on to Uni.

Wesley C Waverley - Glen Waverley - 99% pass VCE and 67% VET.

There are also some great schools in the Bayside area especially in Sandringham and Mentone.

If you are looking for a beach suburb then I would consider Mentone it is a little cheaper than the other bayside suburbs but has some great girls schools.

Guest Mike&Fiona

Kate

These schools look good, the results speak for themselves really. How easy is it to get into these schools, is it a case of living in the catchment area and you are guarnteed a place.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi FIona

I apologise I didn't read your first email fully, the schools I have mentioned are private schools. However, you have Glen Waverley Secondary School which has excellent results 100% VCE and VET 100% and 78% go to university.

In regards to catchment areas it is all down to the schools, some are very strict with zones, others do not seem to mind. GWSC do have a strict intake policy and the best way in is to get in to a primary school in the area who will then help get her in to the College have a read here at their guidelines. gwsc: Enrolling at GWSC

Don't worry there are other schools around but this is the best government school in Glen Waverley.

Guest Mike&Fiona

Thanks Kate for all info. I will be googling this school today to get more info then look at rental accommodation to see what sort of thing is available, oh my head hurts, so much to think about. Thanks again

Fiona

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Fiona

Have a look here for rentals in Glen Waverley Rental Properties, Lease and Holiday Rentals - realestate.com.au

A lot of the properties are older style properties.

Another suburb you could consider is Berwick, this is one of my favourite suburbs, with great schools, and lots of different style housing from new builds to acreage to older houses. You will get a lot more for your money and it is approx 13 miles from Mulgrave.

Rental Properties, Lease and Holiday Rentals - realestate.com.au

Archived