Back from our Reccie

Guest EvieB

Hi everyone, we are home from our 2 1/2 week reccie trip to Melbourne. I have loads of photos and when I get time I'll sort them out and anyone interested in the places concerned can have a link to the album. Watch this space... The places we considered were Mornington/Mount Martha, Berwick, Geelong, Ocean Grove and Torquay. For those that want the short answer, we have chosen Mornington - reasons and observations below... Given the sometimes negative/sensitive/snipy posts that sometimes arise when there is any criticism implied or otherwise, of certain areas please can I stress that our observations are personal views only and coloured by what we are used to in the UK, our personal preferences and what we want out of life. That said and got out of the way, here goes suburb by suburb:

Berwick - we loved Berwick, the village feel to the centre and the houses and streets were lovely particularly on the North side (have I upset someone already?). But the whole area was just too built up for us - maybe because where we live now is semi-rural.

Geelong (Highton area) - lovely area but once again, too built up for us. I know before anyone points it out, there are some lovely parks and green areas but for us it felt wrong.

Ocean Grove - for us felt too much like a seaside town, there really wasn't much going on in Winter. Also, beaches are fantastic but not what we want as we don't surf. Most of the houses were set back away from the beach because of the dunes.

Torquay - if we were to live on the West side, it would definitely be in Torquay. It came a close second to Mornington.

And the winner is...Mornington has everything we are looking for. It is actually bigger than I thought with some really good shops - you can get everything you need there. It has a fantastic library (the library has a lovely cafe and sells divine sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauce!) and a really good book exchange shop. This is important to me because I am an obsessive reader and books are expensive in Australia! There is a good choice of restaurants from Fish and Chips to Italian, Afghan, you name it. Despite my best efforts we didn't try them all! I think we liked it because it reminded us of where we live now, with a proper 'High Street' and attractive green residential areas. The beaches are lovely and it is ideal for gentle swimming and paddling or for an evening walk along the beach. Frankston is only 20 minutes away if you need the train or an even bigger town for some reason. Mornington feels like a 'proper' residential place to live but with beaches and the surrounding inland countryside is beautiful - very much like England, maybe because it does rain a bit more there apparently. You can drive the length of the peninsula in around 40 minutes and across it in about 20 minutes but in that small area is everything you need.

People were so friendly there - we almost learnt not to ask for help if we didn't have lots of time to spare!

As soon as we arrived we could totally imagine living there. Mount Martha is lovely too - it sort of merges into Mornington so really there is nothing to choose between them. Mount Martha has it's own little shopping area with everything you need day-to-day but only five minutes from Mornington.

Anyway, enough for now! If anyone has any questions let me know or pm me. I am still jet-lagged but if I think of anything else useful, I'll add it later! (Our journey home is another story altogether...)

X

Guest THE JONEZYS

Glad you liked our neck of the woods!!

In the 22 months we have been here, I still haven't managed to visit every shop on Mornington's Main st'.

Lesley

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi EvieB

What a great post and I am sure people are looking forward to seeing the photos. In regards to Berwick did you drive up Harkaway Road as this is where Berwick really opens up with some beautiful countryside and lovely acreage property. That is one thing I love about Berwick, you have the old style houses, the modern new houses, and acreage properties there is something for everyone. Here are a few properties off Harkaway Road, umm out of my price range but I am sure there are some millionaires on PIO:biglaugh:

20 CASERTA DRIVE BERWICK

8 CASEY DRIVE BERWICK

23 - 24 TAMARA CLOSE BERWICK

It is good to have a look around and everyone has different views on where to live.

I think you have made a good choice with Mornington.

I have just driven my dogs down to the dog groomer who lives in Balnarring and its a lovely drive at this time of the year only 20 mins from my place and lovely lush green countryside all the way.:smile:

Guest The York Clan
Hi everyone, we are home from our 2 1/2 week reccie trip to Melbourne. I have loads of photos and when I get time I'll sort them out and anyone interested in the places concerned can have a link to the album. Watch this space... The places we considered were Mornington/Mount Martha, Berwick, Geelong, Ocean Grove and Torquay. For those that want the short answer, we have chosen Mornington - reasons and observations below... Given the sometimes negative/sensitive/snipy posts that sometimes arise when there is any criticism implied or otherwise, of certain areas please can I stress that our observations are personal views only and coloured by what we are used to in the UK, our personal preferences and what we want out of life. That said and got out of the way, here goes suburb by suburb:

Berwick - we loved Berwick, the village feel to the centre and the houses and streets were lovely particularly on the North side (have I upset someone already?). But the whole area was just too built up for us - maybe because where we live now is semi-rural.

Geelong (Highton area) - lovely area but once again, too built up for us. I know before anyone points it out, there are some lovely parks and green areas but for us it felt wrong.

Ocean Grove - for us felt too much like a seaside town, there really wasn't much going on in Winter. Also, beaches are fantastic but not what we want as we don't surf. Most of the houses were set back away from the beach because of the dunes.

Torquay - if we were to live on the West side, it would definitely be in Torquay. It came a close second to Mornington.

And the winner is...Mornington has everything we are looking for. It is actually bigger than I thought with some really good shops - you can get everything you need there. It has a fantastic library (the library has a lovely cafe and sells divine sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauce!) and a really good book exchange shop. This is important to me because I am an obsessive reader and books are expensive in Australia! There is a good choice of restaurants from Fish and Chips to Italian, Afghan, you name it. Despite my best efforts we didn't try them all! I think we liked it because it reminded us of where we live now, with a proper 'High Street' and attractive green residential areas. The beaches are lovely and it is ideal for gentle swimming and paddling or for an evening walk along the beach. Frankston is only 20 minutes away if you need the train or an even bigger town for some reason. Mornington feels like a 'proper' residential place to live but with beaches and the surrounding inland countryside is beautiful - very much like England, maybe because it does rain a bit more there apparently. You can drive the length of the peninsula in around 40 minutes and across it in about 20 minutes but in that small area is everything you need.

People were so friendly there - we almost learnt not to ask for help if we didn't have lots of time to spare!

As soon as we arrived we could totally imagine living there. Mount Martha is lovely too - it sort of merges into Mornington so really there is nothing to choose between them. Mount Martha has it's own little shopping area with everything you need day-to-day but only five minutes from Mornington.

Anyway, enough for now! If anyone has any questions let me know or pm me. I am still jet-lagged but if I think of anything else useful, I'll add it later! (Our journey home is another story altogether...)

X

Great post - thank you..

You didn't by any chance visit Mt Eliza when you were there did you??

Cheers.

hey you must have been in the library at the same time as us, even possibly having a coffee at the milk bar in mount martha. we returned sunday after a 10 day reccie - exhausted now.

we are also consider mornington area although prefer the houses in mt eliza ( however the word 'toffee' was used to describe it).

we are off to live there january 09 all being well. we will rent to start with so that will dictate where we start off - car a necessity so not such a problem

for our 14 year old son - mornington secondary college has said we don't need to live in 'the zone' or provide proof of residence ( unlike frankston high)

lets keep in touch

cath

Guest sanders family

Hi Evieb what a great post i would love to see all your pictures too, we are also heading that way next july and were interested in all the area plus frankston,point cook and werribee. hank you again for the information

Hi everyone,

We did visit Mount Eliza and it is really lovely. The houses are more expensive there but it has some good shops although not as many as Mornington. We got the impression (we may be wrong - we didn't have long there) that most of the houses and the shops are not within walking distance of the beach. Or only if you can afford a big house, anyway! I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but we seemed to drive for a little while to get to the beach. In Mornington, the shops end within sight of the beach - Main Street ends on the Esplanade - and everything feels closer together even though it is a sizeable town. Hard to explain, but those of you who live there will know exactly what I mean, I'm sure!

Cath - did you try the Sticky Date Pudding in the Library? It's still sitting on my hips... I wish we were off in Jan 09, I think it will be another 18 months for us, but yes, please keep in touch because we would love to hear how you get on.

I forgot to mention in my post, the main worry I have is getting a job. Steve should be OK - he is an electrician and already has a contact out there - but I am an Administration Manager (although I am happy to do anything and have a medical background so maybe an admin job in a hospital or doctors?) I seem to remember reading a post about the difficulty of finding admin work. I need to work, for the money and my sanity. Do any of you already there have an opinion on this?

And we did see the lovely houses in Berwick, can't afford one though!

X

Hi Evie

Did you not think Torquay was to far away from Melbourne personally I think Geelong and Mornington are also to far away. I understand your OH could work anywhere but for people who need to work in the CBD would you recomend the drive?

Glad you enjoyed Victoria did you manage Phillip Island? and the dreaded question graffiti what are your thoughts on it?

Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey, no, I wouldn't recommend the drive from Mornington to the CBD and we did do it because we drove into the city to stop over for the night before returning to my sister's house in Melton. The thought of doing that twice a day would fill me with horror. We didn't actually drive from Torquay or Geelong into the CBD but I would guess that would also be too far. I am certainly not planning to work in the CBD and neither is Steve.

What did surprise me - because we had never before visited or driven through the Eastern suburbs - was how built up and busy they are. They wouldn't suit us at all. We are much more familiar with the Melton area and the Bellarine Peninsula and they have an entirely different feel. As for the graffiti - it doesn't seem to be a problem on the Mornington Peninsula and in the CBD it feels 'arty'. In Frankston and what we saw in some of the Eastern suburbs - grim!!

I really wanted to visit Philip Island but my sister and my one year old nephew were with us and she was concerned that it would be very cold (and she was probably right...) so we still have that one on the list for another time when it is warmer.

We did drive along the Great Ocean Road though, as far as Wye River. WOW! That is one fantastic drive...

The only reason I asked you, is see lots of people talking about these areas and wanting to work in the CBD and I always feel like a kill joy saying I wouldn't.

Also the traffic going into the CDB would you say the west has the lightest traffic into the place or you can't really comment?

did you manage a short trip to Bacchus Marsh? great place for apples and local fruit and veg? Sorry lots of questions My 1st house was in Sth Melton so lots of good memories

Ask away! I love the opportunity to talk about our trip and my workmates WILL get fed up with me before long!

Without wanting to be a killjoy either, the reality is that (IMHO) most people would not be able to tolerate those journeys for long. My impression was that the traffic was lighter on the West side but as we didn't do the actual journey into the CBD (just from Torquay to Melton which bypasses it a bit) it is difficult to say. If I were 'forced' to do either journey (East or West) I would choose the West.

We didn't get to Bacchus Marsh but we did go to Daylesford which we really liked. Too far to the beach for us though!

hi again evie

didn't do the cake in the library but had some seriously oversized muffins in other coffee shops and on the train to frankston ( yes that is grim) but as we live nr birmingham it's no different. regarding admin work there are plenty of jobs at frankston hospital but then lots of money is being ploughed into it at the moment. i'll probably be there in some capacity however in a 18 months time things may have changed. my oh may be in a position to help you on that one.

cath

Archived