South African Pom's

Guest Phantom

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jeez people!!! This just seem so incredibly difficult!! Even just down to getting fingerprints done...I still have no idea where to get these done, SA House wont and my local cop shop wont

Howzit Boet!

Your local cop shop should do them but it will be at a price, if I remember correctly it costs £60 to get them done. What you need to do is contact SA house for the documentation for Police clearence and then they will give you a letter to take to your local Copshop asking that they do the finger printing!

Cheers

Craig

Guest kaztayli
Hi, I know this is a Poms In Oz site, But I am looking for South African Poms that are going to OZ.

Reading all the posts and seeing how friendly everyone is in here, was hoping that I would be welcomed?

Anyways, So I am looking for other South Africans that are in the UK (or in OZZY) that have or are in the process of emigrating down under from the UK. And that may have both their UK and SA passports. Or did you forget about your SA passport and just intend to keep your UK passport with dual citizenship ‘’eventually’’ with OZ.

My wife and myself are hoping to settle near Brisbane. I am Industrial Maintenance technician and will be Appling for the 175 visa. Think that is what it is called through VETASSES.

And would like to know how you guys are doing in your process and if you have any hiccups with paperwork from SA? i.e. police clearance, references and anything ells that I cant think of at the moment.

Cheers for now

Hey there Phantom

We are a South African family - stuck in Scotland at the moment but hopefully heading to Oz to someday not in the too distant future. We have just started our application - the paper application - with Vetassess and are waiting to hear from them now.

We got our fingerprints done for free at our local copshop in Scotland. It was great fun to watch them go back to the old day of using ink again and they treated us as guinea pigs lol

As far as the police clearances go - we were told that they couldn't be older than a year. We got ours before we left South Africa (they were dated for after we left) and we were told that they would not be able to be used. I've been back to RSA since but my husband hasn't. Even so we got updated versions last year and apparently those aren't going to work either.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zambezi15

S A P was great..my husband had his fingerprints done here £65.00 then had to send it on to SA. YOu give them a registered self addressed envelope and it arrives back in the UK .I went and did mine in SA, they do it in under 28 days.

Guest zambezi15

Thats a good rate £20, Like those Yorkshire folks, they dont rip off. North hampton and Notts charge £60 to £65. a set.

Guest zambezi15

they said police clearances required from anywhere we had lived for more than 12 months in the last ten years..

• 3 months later...
Guest Phantom

Hi Everyone

I have not been on here for a while now. But I am now back :)

Going to start everything now again. First Going to apply for that dreadfull process of the South African police certificate. And while I am waiting for that Going to try and gather any information I cana bout apst jobs, then take it from there. Rules may have changed since last year, so got to look into it all again.

I was waiting for my UK passport, that is why I was away from the PIO site. Now that I got my UK passport. I can start rolling that stone now. I need to get down there. Just hope I will be able to find work in OZ, seem that the ression is on all over the place, and by teh sounds of things OZ is holding the jobs for OZZIES ?

Mmm should I stay longer in the UK or should I continue and get down to OZ ?

Hi Phantom

Welcome back.

We have applied for WA SS on the 26/03/09 and still waiting for reply.Our plan is to get the visa,wait until things pick up down under and then make the move.We dont want to miss the boat again.You do know that only SS AND ENS are getting processed at the moment.175 and other visas can take up to 2 years while the above-mentioned 2 are flying out the door.Visa fees have gone up by $400.Police clearance is a headache we need to get from Mozambique and South Africa,the south african one I got before has expired so need to reapply.Mozambique police clearance is nearly impossible to get but Diac wont listen so I`m kinda stuck in a rut with that one.Waing for a miracle now.

Goodluck with everything

Kind Regards

P.S iT WOULD BE BETTER TO APPLY FOR SOUTH AFRICAN POLICE CLEARANCE WHEN IT IS REQUESTED COS ITS VALID FOR ONLY 12 MONTHS AND DIAC WILL USE THE DATE FROM THERE FOR YOU TO VALIDATE YOUR VISA.

Hi

I'm a Pom in SA.

I was in SAPS the other day getting some documents certified and asked about police clearance.

From what I understand I can go into any police station here and get my fingerprints taken pay R59 (although they say I need an ID and proof of address as well so not sure how you would get around that) they then send the form to

The Head (Attention: Police Clearance Certificates)

Criminal Record Center - SAPS

1st Floor, Room 14 Botongo Plaza West

271 Schoeman Street

Pretoria, 0001

Republic of South Africa

Tel. No's. (012) 393-3928

Fax No. (012) 393-3909

If you come for a visit maybe get it done then - or if you have relatives here they may be able to assist if you can send the form with your fingerprints to them?

Payment wise it may be worth asking if a relative can make payment at a local police station on your behalf even if you send the forms direct to the head office?

Not sure if it has been mentioned already but you might find this website useful Application for Police Clearance Certificate it also has a word doc which is supposedly (if still in date / appropriate to overseas applicants etc) the form you use "Annex 23B form (.doc)"

It also mentions you can make electronic payment for the clearance which might be an option for some?

Guest Phantom

Hi T&R

thanx for that info. I have it already, just got to find out about payment. I hear now you may be able to pay at the SA embasey in London, so I am going to see if that can still be done. If not, I have no idea what i can do as my fam. has immigrated to New Zealand.

To Mylady. ye that blooming police clearance thing is going to be a battle, HOPE you get it all right.

I am just trying to figure out what to start with. If not police clearance then maybe getting all my work experience stuff ? My first company I worked for closed down so don't know what to do there. Maybe right just what a did there I supose.

ALSO i see that some poeple are going through Vetasses and others through another one. can't remember but it was something like ART or something.

I was hoping to apply for a 175 visa, as I am a Maintenance Electrician (Special Class).

But you said that only SS AND ENS are getting processed at the moment ? What is the SS and ENS ? does that mean I might be waisting my time tryign to do teh 175 ?

Thanx.

Chow for now

Hi Phantom

SS is state sponsorship and ENS is employer sponsorship.These are getting priority,we also wanted to go for 175 but at the rate it is going we will never get there.You need to get all your work references first and get assessed by vetassess,once you have a positive vetassess,you do ielts (english language test) you need a 6 in all components to get sponsorship. If you applying with your UK passport you dont need to do the IELTS. We applied for Western Australia.ARTC is not neccessary if you are assessed by vetassess.If you go for the 175 then you are looking at a minimum of 2 years before you get your visa.General Electrician has been taken off the Queensland MODL and dont know if other states will do the same once the criteria is filled for the year.Almost everyone who has applied for 175 has swopped to the 176 just to get in.My hubby is also a maintenance electrician and was assessed by vetasses as a general electrician.

As for the company that closed down you need to make a statutory declaration stating everything you did in that company,tools you used etc,thats what we did.It has got to be very detailed.Leave the police clearance until you have made your visa application and DIAC requests it from you.

Kind Regards

Mylady

Guest Phantom

Hi Mylady

Thank you for that info. Oh Darn. so it will take so long to go the 175 route, such a pity. I am more a Electrician special class and not a general electrician, I was reading somewhere in PIO, so if you do the general elec. you don't have to go through Vetasses, I must find out about that, as the Special class elec. like me is more into the PLC programming side of things than actual electrician work. So I must just find out about that. But O well. It will be so hard to try find a job from the UK to get a sponser. And I will have to work for that company for however long it is. As if I don't then end up liking that company I can't leave and look for another job.

So. looks like i may just ahve to go the 2 year route.

O well. we will see.

In the eman time I will gather what info I can and try and figure out how to do that statutory declaration thing.

Did you guys go through an Agent ? I am thinking of going it alone. but having second thoughts, as My wife is from Slovakia, I have my British passport.

Cheers for now

Hi Mylady and Phantom

Just in case it is of interest I checked out a local passport / birth certificate agent here in SA who a few people I know have used successfully.

I gave them a ring they can do police clearance for South Africa (sorry they said they thought not for Mozambique - although I know they can do e.g. Zim birth certificates) - they currently charge R300 for a SA police certificate and it takes 8-10 weeks. Their web site is www.passportc.co.za

You could potentially transfer monies into their bank???

You might also try asking

Bunny Hop Document Services www.bunnyhop.co.za email cleardot.gifinfo@bunnyhop.co.za

I have not used them but they are mentioned and recommended on another web site for birth/marriage certificates from Zim etc.

I just looked at their web site - it looks as if they are set up to process SA police clearance from overseas applicants.

Good luck

Guest Phantom

Hi T&R

Thank you for that info, sounds good. I will look into it, and probaby use them when I need to apply for the Police clearance certificate.

Thank you again

Regards

Hi Phantom

We are doing everything ourselves,def not going to waste money on an agent, Your wife would have to prove that her education was conducted in English or she will have to do the IELTS,otherwise you will have to pay for your visa plus the second installment for your dependant over 18 (your wife) Check the DIAC WEBSITE FOR MORE INFO.I got letters from my school stating that I am competent in English and all my education was done in English.If she has a british passport then she is ok.

Regards

Mylady

Guest Phantom

Hi Mylady

My wife did a ESOL course at the college where she had to do the Reading, writing, speaking and listening. She has level one. I am trying to find out if that would be ok. Otherwise she will have to do that IELTS, she has a Slovakian Passport, and did school in Slovakia.

Hope that ESOL will be ok. I hope I can ask DIAC that, I will have a look at their website and see if they have a contact i can ask then ask them.

Chow for now

Hi Phantom

The number for DIAC IS

0061 1300 364 613

I called them last week to find out about the mozambique police clearance.They said I had to get it somehow. Before you call check the DIAC website it tells you what you need for dependants over 18.

Kind Regards

Mylady

Guest Phantom

Hi mylady.

thanks, i'll give them a call after I have checked out the website.

Do you perhaps know what I can start with ? I am still not to sure what I actualy start with besideds writing down my work history and getting refferences.

Who do I apply to first ? is it DIAC or TRA or Vetasses ? hope you can hekp. thnaks.

And if any one els is reading that may help. I need to know what do do first then next and so on.

Thanks

Did a quick search for Mozambique police certificates - came across this on the Canadian Immigration web site

Mozambique

Police Certificate needed?

Yes.

How to get one?

Local Requests

Citizens or residents of Mozambique must apply for the Repartição do Registro Criminal at the headquarters office of Criminal Records (Registro Criminal) in Maputo (corner of Rua dos Flores and Avenida 24 de Julho), or at the Civil Records (Registro Civil) office located in most provincial capitals. Forms are available at these locations upon payment of the appropriate fees, and fingerprints will be taken at the time the request is submitted.

Non-Resident Requests

You may designate a local resident to submit the request at Criminal Records Headquarters in Maputo. Proxy forms and applications are available at the same office. No fingerprints are required in the case of overseas residents. The designation must bear the signature of two witnesses, and the proxy representative is empowered to collect the certificate from Criminal Records once available.

You might try putting a post on SAAustralia Forums (Powered by Invision Power Board) - a forum similar to this for South Africans coming to Australia as maybe some people on there may have had similar issues.

Hi T&R

I have seen that site but everyone we know that was in Mozambique has left as they were on contract like my hubby was.I will look at the south african site but if we dont find someone still in Mozambique we are going to find it a mojor problem getting that stupid police clearance.

This Moz police clearance is driving me up the wall.

Thanks Mylady

Hi mylady.

thanks, i'll give them a call after I have checked out the website.

Do you perhaps know what I can start with ? I am still not to sure what I actualy start with besideds writing down my work history and getting refferences.

Who do I apply to first ? is it DIAC or TRA or Vetasses ? hope you can hekp. thnaks.

And if any one els is reading that may help. I need to know what do do first then next and so on.

Thanks

Hi Phantom

You need to clear your head and take things step by step.You will need your trade assessed before anything else.Forget Diac for now

Step one: TRA assess Electrician's (special Class) and Vetassess assess General Electricians. If you believe you meet the criteria for both roles then the choice will come down to how you became qualified. If you completed a formal apprentice and gained formal qualifications then TRA is a simpler and cheaper process. If however you do not have formal qualifications then Vetassess is the only option.

Step 2: Get all your work references,(we wrote out the reference letters and sent it to either a supervisor or manager in the companies,they put it on a company letterhead and signed it and sent it back with their business cards,(The reference letter has to be very detailed and you have to include tools that were used etc)

Draw out statutory declarations for any company that has closed down or any time that you were not working(you need to explain why you were unemployed)

Get all your work contracts ,salary slips(we sent 2 years of salary slips) ,P45`s ,P60`s and what helps is sending photos of you working in your trade.(Hubby had apprentices following him around at work taking photos while he worked),without the boss knowing.Make sure your dates correspond as they will check this.

Step3: Take all your paperwork,get them copied(we made 4 copies of eack page)

Take the originals and copies to a solicitor to get them certified(Make sure they put all their details on each page,very important and get their business card) Shop around cos this can be expensive(We paid £75 for over 200 pages)

Step 4: Send a copy of each work evidence you got to TRA if you are going with them or go online to start the vetassess process.Do not send the originals as you would not get it back and you will need it in the future.

I do not know much of the TRA process cos we went through vetassess but if you do a search on PIO you will find the electricians thread and the route to TRA.If you go through TRA your next step would be your ARTC and then Diac for visa application.You will need your certified copies of work evidence for ARTC and DIAC,Thats why the extra copies.

Now just concentrate on getting your skills assessed,that is the first step,forget the Diac,Police clearance,Artc for now,you will cross that bridge when you get there.

If I can help further,just shout

Kind Regards

Mylady

Guest Phantom

Hi Mylady.

Thankyou again for your help. I will try going the TRA route. Now to get it started.

wow 2 years of pay slips, I get paid weekly so that means 104 payslips for 2 years ? and still my P45's and P60's ? wow wa wee wow.

Chow

Hi Phantom

I know its a lot of paperwork but the more you send the better your chances of a positive outcome.

Boy am I glad that I am pass that stage.This is the most difficult part of the whole process

Goodluck

Regards

Mylady

Guest Phantom

Hi Mylady.

OK I will send everyhting I have. ye as you say the hardest part. It does sound that way.

any way. hope all goes well. also for you guys.

When Are you hoping to get there ? and have you had your house to sell ?

I have a 2 bed, flat to try and sell. but mite end up renting it out as we may not get a good price. but will see.

Chow

Archived