Attaching Docs to eVisa 176! Help!

ozzy81uk

Hi guys,

Im ready to scan in my docs for the online 176 skilled visa. The guidelines are, that the files should not be more than 1000kb and I heard that they have to be in colour to avoid messing around with certification etc.

How am I supposed to do this??

It doesnt seem to matter how big the doc is, whether its one page with little writing, scanned into any format, the minimum sttings on my scanner (in colour) still take it over the 1000kb!

Most of the docs are mainly text, but some are certs and some have a lot of content.

I have documents that have around 10 pages of more! how am I supposed to do this?

The only doc Ive got so far that fits the requirements is my passport, coz its smaller and I used microsoft paint.

Any help will be appreciated!

Frustrated Danny

:arghh:

Guest TheClarkes

Hi dont know if this is any help as we had an agent attatch ours but i know when i had to send everything it had to be in the form of an RTF.

Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Just found a way of scanning my docs in as a JPG which results in the file size being very small, but as i now how far too many docs i have to put them together. wanted to use word which works fine until i try and save as word 93 doc then it increases the size to over 30MB! I cant seem to win

Guest littlesarah

Hi Danny

'Word' files are always relatively large. I saved my scanned documents in 'pdf' format. These are smaller than word docs & jpegs. My scanner gives the option to save images as jpeg or pdf - but I don't know whether that's common to all scanners. If not, you may be able to download file-converting software on the adobe site. (Sorry don't know the link).

Hope this helps. Sarah

Hi Best thing to do is reduce the size of the doc before scanning, you should get an option box that allows you to change scanning picture or document settings. You should then choose the lowest resolution either 75 or 90 ppi (pixels per inch) in my case or whatever is the lowest on your particular scanner. Then save the scanned image as a jpeg file.

You can got to the adobe website to convert your word files on-line or alternatively when you save a document use the Save As option and then in Save as type menu choose Rich Text Format .RTF

Hope this helps

Will

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Ozzy

I don't know whether I am helping or hindering because I know nothing about the e-visa system and even less about computers.

However please see this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/43642-e-visa-applications-attachments.html

You must obey DIAC's instructions about file types and you must ensure you get an auto-receipt for the documents, which is the DIAC machine's way of letting you know that it has accepted the stuff. It does not send a "delivery failed" message. It just sends a coy "thank you" note if it accepts the material.

Turbopaul is an IT expert and he helped to explain the DIAC factsheet on the thread above. I have asked him whether he would be very kind and read this thread of yours to see whether he can explain what to do with your documents.

Good luck with it.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest turbopaul

If you download a free PDF creator it might help.

The PDF program will add a printer to your computer and anything that is send to print will be converted to a pdf file.

Basiclly you scan the document and save in whatever format you want then click on print select the pdf printer and it should ask where you want to save the new PDF file.

Have a look at PDF ReDirect or PDF creator.

There are other freeware software you could try.

have a lok at www.download.com

The DIAC suggest this website. Create Adobe® PDF Online: Easily convert and create PDF documents

you sign up to a newsletter i think and you get some free pdf convertor service.

Thanks for tips guys. From my experience, creating a pdf file ends up bigger than the word doc i started with. I have free pdf printer and have tried all different variatioins.

I think I may of finally cracked it though!

I have a Lexmark printer with scanner, but instead of using the scan button on printer ie the Lexmark software. I go through control panel and the scanner & cameras section. This scans the documents in a much smaller size. I scanned them as jpg then copied them into word so i can put several pages together. Saved them as a straight forward doc file.

My word is 2003, but just realised the word programme on my laptop is 2002 and i can open all the files with 2002, so they must be fine.

According to the following link i can scan in 60 docs (up to 1000kb) and 5 pics (up to 500kb)

and the word docs have to be compatible with 2002 or older.

Attaching Documents to a General Skilled Migration Visa Application

I read in another thread that we can only upload 20 docs but up to 3MB's in size. Strange :wacko:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Ozzy

Please see my sticky thread at the top of the Migration Issues Section. The DIAC Instructions which I have given the link for in that thread were published by DIAC on Friday 12th September 2008. So those are the Latest Instructions from DIAC about what the DIAC computer will accept.

Please do NOT rely on any threads about this if they pre-date the 12th September Instructions from DIAC.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks,

Doesnt my visa (176 state sponsorship) come under GSM (general skilled migration)?

Hi Ozzy

Yes, it is a GSM visa. My point is that the 12th September document is new. Before that there was an earlier Instruction Sheet from DIAC about e-visa attachments.

It is important to check whether the earlier Instructions are identical to the new ones and if there are any differences then use only the new Instructions, that is all.

Best wishes

Gill

ok brilliant

thanks for your all your help and tips Gill.

Should be sending our online app off this week!

just waiting for my girlfriends new passport and then its all go! quite exciting and just want to get everything right from the start to make it easier for the DIAC to go through it etc!

Ozzy

Guest andrew_obrien
Hi guys,

Im ready to scan in my docs for the online 176 skilled visa. The guidelines are, that the files should not be more than 1000kb and I heard that they have to be in colour to avoid messing around with certification etc.

How am I supposed to do this??

It doesnt seem to matter how big the doc is, whether its one page with little writing, scanned into any format, the minimum sttings on my scanner (in colour) still take it over the 1000kb!

Most of the docs are mainly text, but some are certs and some have a lot of content.

I have documents that have around 10 pages of more! how am I supposed to do this?

The only doc Ive got so far that fits the requirements is my passport, coz its smaller and I used microsoft paint.

Any help will be appreciated!

Frustrated Danny

:arghh:

download the following programes Free PDF Creator - Convert to PDF from Any File You Can Print - PrimoPDF

and adobe reader from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html?promoid=BUIGO

This will enable you to save your files as a PDF which will reduce the files in size.

If you are scanning the files and saving them as a picture make sure you save them a .jpg file as this will reduce the file size.

After you have installed primopdf and adobe reader open the file that you want to save as a pdf and choose print then select a printer called primopdf. It will then give you an otion to choose i suggest you select ebook as this will compress any file for you into a pdf.

remember though you only have limit on the size and amount of docs you can send so add as much as you can into one word document and print it as a PDF but make sure that you dont add too much that you go over the size limit.

If you have any questions please just ask on here or message me.

Good Luck

Archived