Child benefit and working Family Tax Credits. Beware!

Guest itskaren

Guest itskaren

I have been having a longstanding problem with the above. ie. being paid into my account despite calling and writing to say that I have emigrated to Oz. I need the bank account open as I have rent paid in there.

I have not spent any of the money and it is just a case of them trying to sort it out as they do not want me just to pay a cheque back! To cut a long story short, a solicitor was involved and it got sorted out. I have been told that all the people claiming child benefit and the WFTC will soon have to take their passports and home address details to the benefit offices!!! No other details. I have written back asking if they are implying that i have been claiming this when I am not supposed to? I have times and names of the people I have called and asked them for the 'recorded phone calls' that they claim to make when you call them. Utter shambolic!

Good luck to anyone else who is having problems. I have had many private emails regarding this so it is a problem.

Guest BRISSYBOUND

I know what you mean about tax credits,it is an absolute shambols.Personally I'd have spent it and told them to come and find me.It's bad enough trying to deal with them here,never mind from the other side of the world.

Guest itskaren
I know what you mean about tax credits,it is an absolute shambols.Personally I'd have spent it and told them to come and find me.It's bad enough trying to deal with them here,never mind from the other side of the world.

Tell me about it! I really wouldn't mind if I was trying to get away with it! but I thought I was trying to do the decent thing and it has caused me more stress and anxiety! I would not recommend anyone being honest! it does not pay which is a shame and against my own policy !!!

Guest itskaren
That's one of the problems in this country,it doesn't pay to be honest or hardworking.

I agree! that's all I was trying to do and I was treated like a criminal!

Guest TeamTalbot

So what is the procedure for Tax Credits and Child Benefit when you leave the UK? What have others on PIO done about this?

In my experience the tax credit system is such a shambles that even if they tell you to do something you can never be sure if it's the right thing to do!

Guest june coates

i applied for working tax benefit when it first came out as my husband was in ill health and didnt work.i was told i didnt qualify for it,then, about 2yrs later i was informed that 900 pounds had been paid into my bank account.when i queried it,they said that they couldnt take themoney back out of my account,so i had to send a cheque,which i did.despite this,and the fact that my husband died,they still send me yearly assessment forms.i have phoned and written several times to explain but they still keep coming.what a waste of paper and lack of communication

We did the working mans Tax credit, then two years later when we hadn't been claiming for a year. They sent us a letter saying they over paid us by 1,900 pounds we have to pay them back for their mistake 100 pounds a month we have to pay back. This has happened to a few friends of ours to we are still in uk so have to pay, were now suffering for their cock up Arghhhh!!!

Briggy:)))

Guest itskaren
i applied for working tax benefit when it first came out as my husband was in ill health and didnt work.i was told i didnt qualify for it,then, about 2yrs later i was informed that 900 pounds had been paid into my bank account.when i queried it,they said that they couldnt take themoney back out of my account,so i had to send a cheque,which i did.despite this,and the fact that my husband died,they still send me yearly assessment forms.i have phoned and written several times to explain but they still keep coming.what a waste of paper and lack of communication

Poor you. xx

Guest TeamTalbot

We have also been "victims" of a Tax Credit overpayment error. they kept paying us even though I had informed them that my husband had started a new job, and then the following year said that we owed them about £2k. I challenged the decision and they just said that they were not to blame for the error even though they blatantly were. So frustrating!

I'm not sure what I will do when it comes time to leave the UK. No doubt they will say that we owe them a bundle.

Guest itskaren
We have also been "victims" of a Tax Credit overpayment error. they kept paying us even though I had informed them that my husband had started a new job, and then the following year said that we owed them about £2k. I challenged the decision and they just said that they were not to blame for the error even though they blatantly were. So frustrating!

I'm not sure what I will do when it comes time to leave the UK. No doubt they will say that we owe them a bundle.

I'm sure they are all brain dead. It's not rocket science. good luck

I have been having a longstanding problem with the above. ie. being paid into my account despite calling and writing to say that I have emigrated to Oz. I need the bank account open as I have rent paid in there.

I have not spent any of the money and it is just a case of them trying to sort it out as they do not want me just to pay a cheque back! To cut a long story short, a solicitor was involved and it got sorted out. I have been told that all the people claiming child benefit and the WFTC will soon have to take their passports and home address details to the benefit offices!!! No other details. I have written back asking if they are implying that i have been claiming this when I am not supposed to? I have times and names of the people I have called and asked them for the 'recorded phone calls' that they claim to make when you call them. Utter shambolic!

Good luck to anyone else who is having problems. I have had many private emails regarding this so it is a problem.

I had the same problem too! it was a nightmare trying to cancel the tax credits. When i married i had another adult living in the house so i knew would not be entitled. But try to get them to stop it was a complete living nightmare!!! I had informed them priorto wedding and expected date of him moving in etc... Like you i requested the recorded converstaions but were not available!! In the end i had to enlist the CAB because they kept paying me for over a year!!!

CAB looked shocked as i was being honest and wanted to cancel the payments LOL.

Only i had gratefully spent the money in the end, and due to their error agreed to pay it back, in smaller amounts of course!!! Was still such a pain and hated it not being sorted.

Guest AnnieE

Hi We have been in Aus for 6 months and it took months for them to stop giving us money! Infact I think I may still get the minimum for tax credit - the agency is a joke. I'm sure they will ask for the money back even thought its their mistake - I'll offer 50p per week for a few years!:cute:

Guest Redaussies

This post caught my eye. I don't claim any benefit but fully understand the need and entitlement for those who do. It's strange how many Brits have problems receiving the benefits that are due to them from the Tax and N.I contributions we all make to help fellow British families.

I'm not prejudice in anyway, but for sure the British Government has made an almighty cock up of the whole benefit system and the Tax credit system especially. We are the laughing stock of the whole of Europe, even the World. How can it be right that a mother and child living in a foreign land receives these tax credits because a husband has been able to come to Britain and work, (legally) and receive additional benefits to be sent "home" to a family. Bearing in mind the increased wage benefit the worker is receiving surely that should be the reward without the additional benefits that are being taken. This is wrong. When I employed Foreign workers every one was legit, Tax and N.I registered, and I provided excellent food and accommodation for them so please don't think for a moment I'm a racist or prejudiced to foreign workers. I'm not, but I just don't agree with our country being ripped off like it is being.

I'm told many families living in Warsaw, Krackow, Prague, Lisbon, Porto, Valencia, Bilbao, Vigo, Estorill, Slovakia, Budapest, Bucharest, Deli, Karachi, Bombay, Madras, and so on think WE have the best System for working tax credits and benefits in the World. Then you find legit cases of Brits needing certain medical treatment and drugs and being told the country can't afford to provide it.

Somehing's got to be done about it, it's an absolute disgrace. Last person out switch the lights off please!!

REDDERS

Guest julie2g1b
This post caught my eye. I don't claim any benefit but fully understand the need and entitlement for those who do. It's strange how many Brits have problems receiving the benefits that are due to them from the Tax and N.I contributions we all make to help fellow British families.

I'm not prejudice in anyway, but for sure the British Government has made an almighty cock up of the whole benefit system and the Tax credit system especially. We are the laughing stock of the whole of Europe, even the World. How can it be right that a mother and child living in a foreign land receives these tax credits because a husband has been able to come to Britain and work, (legally) and receive additional benefits to be sent "home" to a family. Bearing in mind the increased wage benefit the worker is receiving surely that should be the reward without the additional benefits that are being taken. This is wrong. When I employed Foreign workers every one was legit, Tax and N.I registered, and I provided excellent food and accommodation for them so please don't think for a moment I'm a racist or prejudiced to foreign workers. I'm not, but I just don't agree with our country being ripped off like it is being.

I'm told many families living in Warsaw, Krackow, Prague, Lisbon, Porto, Valencia, Bilbao, Vigo, Estorill, Slovakia, Budapest, Bucharest, Deli, Karachi, Bombay, Madras, and so on think WE have the best System for working tax credits and benefits in the World. Then you find legit cases of Brits needing certain medical treatment and drugs and being told the country can't afford to provide it.

Somehing's got to be done about it, it's an absolute disgrace. Last person out switch the lights off please!!

REDDERS

hi there i could not agree more makes my blood boil......

we claim working family's tax credit and am quite scared they dont listen when you tell them you are no longer intitled yet they still pay if they still pay me once in oz after telling them a number of times will only pay back what i can afford minus cost of ringing them up and stress caused as there fault in first place,if they want to play dumb and take time then so shall i.

as michele say's do they come after you if you dont pay back lol as would feel like telling them to sod off...................

julie :wubclub:

Guest fabadababa

I had the "pleasure" of working for HMRC for 10 years before finally jumping ship last year. The problem is that they don't bother giving sufficient training to any of their staff - they are moving all kinds of staff to Tax Creds at the mo and these people will probably make up their job as they go along because management don't bother their backsides training them.

That's why customer service is so cr*p, I'm afraid. Good luck to you all having probs with CTC/WFTC, etc. Your letters have probably been dumped in the confidential waste sacks because the staff don't know how to deal with them :arghh:

Rant over!! Right, I'm off to watch Wanted Down Under! x

Guest kev and del

Hi everyone we are moving to brissy next feb(HURRAH) and want to know if you can still claim child benefit until you become a oz citizen.Many thanks

It really does my head in, Would it not be easier just to provide child care 7 to 7 from the ages of 0 to 13? and scrap any payments. This would allow able bodied people the opportunity to support their own families by doing a full days graft.

I was in a position earlier this year where chucking my job in and looking after my kids would have given the family a larger income then working and paying for child care. Thankfully my employer chose to make it worth my while to go to work every day!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neilalys

re child benefit etc , anyone know if you are a student for 2 years in aussie when you have to tell child benefit and family tax credits, is it strait away , or after you get pr,

This is all terrible, as if people haven't got enough to cope with when moving away, they mess up on your behalf and expect you to pay for it! Crikey, Im shocked!:shocked: Blummin eck!

I thought that when you filled the P38 form thingy in (the leaving the UK one), that they would know you were leaving (along with your phonecall/letter) so would stop paying you etc and sort out any monies owing etc from there! I can't believe this isn't the case.

Sorry, having a rant here, just couldn't help butting in on this thread as I find it unbelievable adn feel sorry for you people

We did the working mans Tax credit, then two years later when we hadn't been claiming for a year. They sent us a letter saying they over paid us by 1,900 pounds we have to pay them back for their mistake 100 pounds a month we have to pay back. This has happened to a few friends of ours to we are still in uk so have to pay, were now suffering for their cock up Arghhhh!!!

Briggy:)))

Archived