Oh my god - we will be in Canberra in a few weeks!

Guest sarahnshaun

Guest sarahnshaun

Hi all,

Apologies for being a bit quiet on the ol' forums but it is now definite that we will be in Canberra for the start of October!

What's the weather like over there at the moment?

Is anyone or did anyone else get that feeling just before going of, "oh my god, we will never get everything done in time before we go!". Just starting to really hit home now that I have handed in my notice and we've started having leaving parties.

Are there any Canberra meet up's planned for October time? And if so, can newbies come along?

Sarah

Guest austibeach

Good luck and with any luck it might be warming up in Canberra by the time you get there, but pack your thermals just in case.

Take care,

Eric.

Guest Jaynie

Pretty chilly at the moment, highest through the day is about 9 degrees dropping to minus 1/2 some nights, still bring warm clothes over with you even though you won't be here for a little while yet.

It's been quite a cold winter this year everyone seems to be feeling the cold. Hopefully it will be nice for when you arrive.

Good luck with all that you have to do for your trip.

Guest potterpig40
Hi all,

Apologies for being a bit quiet on the ol' forums but it is now definite that we will be in Canberra for the start of October!

What's the weather like over there at the moment?

Is anyone or did anyone else get that feeling just before going of, "oh my god, we will never get everything done in time before we go!". Just starting to really hit home now that I have handed in my notice and we've started having leaving parties.

Are there any Canberra meet up's planned for October time? And if so, can newbies come along?

Sarah

Hi Sarah

We've been in Canberra since last April (the start of winter) and despite aussies preconceptions of how cold the winters are we really don't think their is any comparison to a British winter.:biglaugh: Even though the daytime temperatures fall into single figures the days are often bright and sunny and very unlifting! However, its incredibly dry and is suffering severe drought restrictions! Its a big step but I'm glad we came!

Good Luck with the packing!

Jo Smith

Guest sarahnshaun

Thanks everyone for your good luck wishes!

The weeks are just flying by at the moment which is scary! We've had our leaving do's in the uk now which was emotional. Although we may need to run a b&b the amount of people who want to come and visit!

Well, the weather over there at the moment seems to be exactly the same as our 'summer'! I cannot wait now to just be there and set up our new life.

Looking forward to meeting people over a cup of coffee! Although after a 23 hour flight with 2 kids under 3, it may need to be a large glass of wine!:biglaugh:

Hi Sarah,

If all goes well we should be in Canberra in Jan 09!!!!! We have a 12 yr old daughter and five year old son. Like yourself (& many others I guess) we are both excited and nervous:twitcy:

Have you found out much about Canberra before going and if so do you have any useful info to pass on? As I have never visited Canberra I'm a little anxious about which area to look at for accomodation and schools etc. You will obviously be very busy for awhile, but it would be great to receive an update from you when your settled. A meet up and coffee might also be nice when we arrive:smile:

Wishing you and your family a safe journey and hope the move brings you much happiness!!!!!

Regards

Penny

Quite a little stream of new arrivals huh!!! Wine (or whatever your poison) will be on hand:biglaugh:

Sounds great, will hold you to that!!!!!

Best regards

Penny & family

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fawcett

Hi folks

Me and O/H are coming to Canberra, hopefully Nov 08. I'd love to meet up too for either coffee or wine. :cute:

We'll be housed somewhere, comes with the job, but we may have to buy something to sit/sleep on the day we get there! Should be fun

Caz

Hi Caz,

Who is your job with?:idea: We have been offered posts by DHCS and they too will provide us with temporary accomodation on arrival. We hope to be there by Jan 09. The reason I ask is that we were sent email saying that they had a family coming to Canberra in November 2008. Regardless of whether we are going to be empoloyed by the same deparetnment, I wish you the best of luck and would love to meet up for coffee and a chat when we arrive:smile:

Keep in touch

Penny

Hi Caz,

Who is your job with?:idea: We have been offered posts by DHCS and they too will provide us with temporary accomodation on arrival. We hope to be there by Jan 09. The reason I ask is that we were sent email saying that they had a family coming to Canberra in November 2008. Regardless of whether we are going to be empoloyed by the same deparetnment, I wish you the best of luck and would love to meet up for coffee and a chat when we arrive:smile:

Keep in touch

Penny

When I last spoke to someone from DHCS she said they had about 40 families coming in the next few months. They are all being buddied up with a local worker with as similar a family make up as they can and they are really focussing on making sure that you all get a sense of community when you get here. They really are working very hard on it!

I can see big Canberra coffee sessions coming up!

Yes, we have been allocated a buddy, who has been very helpful!!

Thanks for info, its reassuring to know the efforts people are making!

I wonder whether the coffee shops will be big enough to accomodate us all:biglaugh:It'll have to be wine then:goofy:. Can't wait.

Penny

Yes, we have been allocated a buddy, who has been very helpful!!

Thanks for info, its reassuring to know the efforts people are making!

I wonder whether the coffee shops will be big enough to accomodate us all:biglaugh:It'll have to be wine then:goofy:. Can't wait.

Penny

Oh yeah, we have some pretty big coffee shops!

You will feel so much at home you wont need expats to talk to! It looks as if C & P will have a Pom take over from all accounts!

Guest Fawcett

Hiya my O/H has transferred to ADF. If there is any ADF housing available, we'll get a quarter, if not they help us to rent somewhere. I myself havent' actually got a job. Best i take my time over choosing... Well i've worked all my life so far... I deserve a rest. and coffee, and wine

Caz

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Coops

Hi everyone

Just wanted to wish sarah good luck for the move to Canberra! Let us know how you get on??, we are still waiting for a case officer and have front loaded our medicals + pc in June loged in march, and just found out im pregnant too! Talk about all coming at once,,,,feel like we are never going to get out there now.........would be wonderful to get the visa then we can start our new lives in Canberra and have the baby there..........but at this rate we wont be going anywhere fast.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest justine1

Hello all! New to this site as of yesterday (as Quoll already knows!) but great to find others who are going/thinking of going to Canberra. My job has just been posted on the skills list for ACT and after years of thinking that we'll never get there, there is now light at the end of the tunnel. Am hoping to come out for a look and was hoping to tag along on any social events/meet ups - are there any/many? Where is good to stay that is relatively cheap ( I will be on my own - leaving OH and kids at home for finacial reasons). Good luck to all who have just gone/about to go.

Guest sarahnshaun

Hi all,

Well, we have not made it to Canberra for the start of October! We are currently on a few days break in Scotland to have a rest from all the hectic paperwork and emails that have been happening between ourselves and Australia.

We have been told now that it will be at least another two weeks which at least gives us a chance to sell the car!!!

We cannot wait to be there now as we are currently in limbo. Both of us are out of work and we (myself, Shaun and our two kids) are camping out at my parents house which is quite cramped to say the least!!!

Has anyone else had the feeling that about 3-4 weeks before they were due to go, that it wasn't going to happen and you start to panic a little bit!

Really looking forward to meeting people in November for a glass of wine/cup of coffee once we have managed to actually get there!!!

Sarah

x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Justine,

I have just come across your post I am in the same position my occupation has just been added to sponsored list and we have been told we can apply for a 176 visa, but that ACT are only issuing 500 sponsors and are being very very selective. Have you had any good info re Visa we were told try for ACT no desalinates on whether they will give it to us or try South Australia for 457 where there is more chances of being accepted, but after reading about Canberra and lots of info from Quoll, I would really like to go ahead with 176, any info or advice you could pass on would be helpfull.

Thanks

Fee

Hi, This is my first post, we have just recieved our visas after several months waiting and are hopefully going to move out to canberra in May 09. We're moving out with the ADF and are hoping for a quarter but if not will have to rent, any suggestions on good areas. Also, what about schools we have 2 daughters aged 8 and 4 and I'm not sure about pre-school provision, whether they have nurseries attached to schools etc. My OH is going out in Jan for a week or 2 to have a look around and get a feel for the place - and also take masses of photos for us to look at, so it would be good if he could get a feel for the eduction system while he is there. Also what are the state schools like, or is it better to go private? All help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome! Good to see more folk coming to Canberra. Chances are that you would get ADF housing - there is a load of it in Gungahlin which is a new build area and reasonably well served these days.

We have preschools for kids who are 4 or about to turn 4 before 30 April of the year they start at preschool. Some of them are attached to schools and some of them are not. There is a strong independent system which serves about 45% of the population - basically systemic Catholic in parallel with the govt system. Some areas to avoid IMHO would be Charnwood, Richardson and Eastern Narrabundah but wherever you go you can get angelic or crappy neighbours so it really does need you to go and have a good look around! There probably wont be much to see school-wise in mid January as the schools will be closed and only maybe the front office staff if anyone at all. You are more likely to get a response towards the end of Jan when the office staff come back and often the school executive will pop in and out. The first few days before term goes back are usually Prof Devt days for most schools so you could expect there to be some presence, usually after Australia Day (26 Jan).

Should say that if your 4 year old turns 5 before 30 April then they will be eligible for kindergarten which is the first year of full time school. Preschools have just upped their hours to 15 hours a week which could be either full days or part days depending on the program. Schools are obliged to find a place for kids living in their priority enrolment area but preschools are not and in May you could find that preschool places are a bit limited especially if you end up in one of the nappy valley areas. The preschools are govt and kids move on to kinder in govt and private schools from there. Some of the very expensive private schools have preschool options but you probably wouldnt be wanting to fork out $10k pa for the privilege:spinny:

Hope your DH likes what he sees when he comes out in Jan!

Guest justine1
Hi Justine,

I have just come across your post I am in the same position my occupation has just been added to sponsored list and we have been told we can apply for a 176 visa, but that ACT are only issuing 500 sponsors and are being very very selective. Have you had any good info re Visa we were told try for ACT no desalinates on whether they will give it to us or try South Australia for 457 where there is more chances of being accepted, but after reading about Canberra and lots of info from Quoll, I would really like to go ahead with 176, any info or advice you could pass on would be helpfull.

Thanks

Fee

Hi Fee, we were advised from a migration consultant that we would probably have a better chance of success going down the 457 route. We were told that we could perhaps spend months and a lot of money going down the 176 route only to find the quota had been filled which would be a waste of time and money so I recently applied for a job with the Dept Corrective Services in Perth who offer 457 sponsorship. However fate is a strange thing and no sooner had I applied than we got an email from WAPOL (Western Australia Police) to say they are recruiting again. Hubby is a UK officer and we had been waiting over a year for this but turned to the 457 route as it seemed the recruiting drive was off. Now that its back on we are applying to WAPOL and this will be on a 176 visa but its a specific overseas recruitment drive so there are no quota restrictions. However he still may not get in in which case it will be back to the drawing board and further 457 job applications. Good luck with whatever route you take.

Jus. :smile:

Archived