Hello Everyone!!! North Lakes Brisbane Query

Guest Susan_H

Guest Susan_H

Hi How is Everyone!!???

I'm new and never used a site like this before, just came across it doing my usual google searches for all things Australian :unsure:.

I am moving to Brisbane with my family (boyfriend & children aged 10 & 13), . We have had our visa for a while now but we haven't been able to move until now. We have decided to Build on North Lakes as we visited earlier in the year and decided that was probably the best place for us (schools, nice area etc). Does anyone else live on North Lakes? I am wondering how you get to the CBD without using the car (I've heard the traffic is terrible)! We haven't got jobs yet and we hope to secure these when we arrive (eek)!

Thanks in advance

Guest Sam&Si

Hi Susan,

There's lots of PIO members who already live in and near to North Lakes and I'm sure they'll be along soon to give you lots of answers. We've been looking at NL too and from what we can make out currently the best way is to drive to Bald Hills station (about 10 mins I think) and then train into the CBD which is about half an hour - 40 minutes. Think there is a NL station planned for the future I think, but others will correct me if I'm wrong.

If you go into the Queensland forum and then use the search button at the top, type in North Lakes and I think you'll find out quite alot of info that way.

Best wishes,

Hi Susan ..you can drive to Petrie or bald hills station...both about 10/15 mins rush hour traffic then a 35 min train into the city.

The trains are very frequent in brisbane and I find them very reliable.

Guest Susan_H

Thanks for all the replies so far, glad to hear there is a train station not too far away:smile:

Really nervous now and starting to wonder if I'm doing the right thing by going in November - perhaps we should of waited until after Christmas -oh well it's all booked now!

How is everyone liking Brisbane - are you glad you made the big move?! Happy to hear there are some Poms in North Lakes yipppppeeeeee!!

Anyone got any good tips on shipping just clothes/books/dvds/tv/kids toys over to Brisbane i.e. who to use? We haven't got any funiture to take it was all old so we sold it and plan to start again.

Guest Susan_H
You can catch a bus(680,681,682) to Petrie train station and then a 40 mins ride to the CBD I do this every day from Northlakes it a nitemare but i love it

Oh cool - thanks , I'm hoping my OH will have time to drop me off at the train station, we will be living on the Outlook, so I think it's bit of a trek to Discovery Drive? If not, I'll walk to the Bus Stop as you do & keep myself fit ! Are there average work ours in Brisbane, do people normally do 8-4 or 9-5 in the city? I will be looking for an office job.

Oh cool - thanks , I'm hoping my OH will have time to drop me off at the train station, we will be living on the Outlook, so I think it's bit of a trek to Discovery Drive? If not, I'll walk to the Bus Stop as you do & keep myself fit ! Are there average work ours in Brisbane, do people normally do 8-4 or 9-5 in the city? I will be looking for an office job.

I live at the top of Discovery drive and it takes me 10 mins to walk to the closet bus stop. There are several bus stops along the way. There are plenty f office jobs in Brisbane but be prepared as I been told I not got Australian experience on my CV and I worked in London but you will get some thing i ben here 10 weeks and got a perm job through temping. The 682 runs all the way up the discovery drive and its an hourly service and runs frequently between 6.15 and 7.15 but the next one after 7.15 its 8.35 so beware. Get yourself a Go card as you will save money it like the Oyster card in London

Guest Susan_H

I'm surprised at that - thanks for letting me know. Do you mind me asking how long it took you to get a job and did you join with an agency?

I'm soooooo excited now, but really scared tooo, I do hope I get something as we need to get jobs fairly quickly, if not I'll do anything, I don't mind working in a cafe, shop etc just to get us on our feet or temping like you mentioned

I live at the top of Discovery drive and it takes me 10 mins to walk to the closet bus stop. There are several bus stops along the way. There are plenty f office jobs in Brisbane but be prepared as I been told I not got Australian experience on my CV and I worked in London but you will get some thing i ben here 10 weeks and got a perm job through temping. The 682 runs all the way up the discovery drive and its an hourly service and runs frequently between 6.15 and 7.15 but the next one after 7.15 its 8.35 so beware. Get yourself a Go card as you will save money it like the Oyster card in London

I'm surprised at that - thanks for letting me know. Do you mind me asking how long it took you to get a job and did you join with an agency?

I'm soooooo excited now, but really scared tooo, I do hope I get something as we need to get jobs fairly quickly, if not I'll do anything, I don't mind working in a cafe, shop etc just to get us on our feet or temping like you mentioned

I came over at the end of the tax year and took me 9 weeks to get a temp assigment but things are picking up her so you should be able to get something quickly but be prepared to be in for a wait. I registered with heaps of agencies you have to ring them to get them to get any thing done. I can provided you with heaps of agencies numbers and emails to get you started

Archived