Nearly time for our reccie!

Guest EvieB

Guest EvieB

This time next week we will be on the plane to Melbourne for our reccie trip! Although we have been before, this is the first time we are going to look with 'living there' eyes - in the past we have stayed with my sister and treated it as a holiday. For various reasons it has taken us a while to get to the stage of thinking about a permanent move but now we are going to spend 5 days on the East side looking at Mornington, Mount Martha and Berwick and 5 days on the West side looking at Geelong (Highton), Ocean Grove, Torquay area. I plan to take loads of photos and I'll try to keep a blog for anyone interested in any of those places. If anyone would like specific info, let me know and I'll keep a list.

Like a lot of you we often wonder if we are doing the right thing and some days we swing backwards and forwards almost hourly. It's not as if we have a bad life here - we live in a lovely place, we both have good jobs and it's not as if we have children to worry about. It is more a hunger for a new experience - we were both born in this town and if we stay in the UK, we'll probably die here! We are in our forties and have never really experienced anything but this. Does that make sense to anyone?

Sorry to offload - this trip is concentrating the mind!

Like a lot of you we often wonder if we are doing the right thing and some days we swing backwards and forwards almost hourly. It's not as if we have a bad life here - we live in a lovely place, we both have good jobs and it's not as if we have children to worry about. It is more a hunger for a new experience - we were both born in this town and if we stay in the UK, we'll probably die here! We are in our forties and have never really experienced anything but this. Does that make sense to anyone?

It makes perfect sense to me and probably the reason that I would like to do the move to. Life is pressures and I dont want to spend it in one place when there is a whole world out there (not that I'm going to live everywhere lol), but Europes been explored and time to move on.

Enjoy your reccie and please report back on your findings :cool:

Guest EvieB

It would be interesting to know if looking for a 'new' experience rather than a 'better' experience makes you more or less likely to settle into a new country? Now I really am getting philosophical!!

Hi Evie,

I would be very interested in the Mornington areas you plan to go to. We are concerned with the commute into Melbourne city by train/car, so if you find any info when you are there please let me know.

Good luck and have a great time. We are going next March for our rekkie.

Guest scott hogarth

Hi, we hope you have fun and find the right area for you on you reccie. We are hopefully going for a reccie early next year (once visas have been issued). We too are looking in the same areas as you - so any info will be greatly appreciated!!:notworthy: We being me, my wife and two girls aged 9 and 5 and parents in law. Good luck and have FUN!!!

I know exactly what you mean by that and for us time will tell. Our flights are booked for the big move on the 8/12/08 although havent sold house, so going for a new experience and broke !!! Ile keep you updated on if it's a receipe for disaster lol Lets hope not !

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi EvieB

I think you are doing the right thing coming out on a reccie although you could have chose the summer months:twitcy: We have a English family staying in one of our properties at the minute and after leaving your summer they think it's freezing here:biglaugh: We have taken them round on suburb tours and they love Berwick, but then who doesn't!!!

Enjoy your stay here but please remember in summer it is totally different.

Guest Pinhead

EvieB

Looking forward to hearing about your reccie to Melbourne, make sure you come back and give all the details.

Torquay is lovely but a bit far at from Melbourne if you want regular access to the city.

This time next week we will be on the plane to Melbourne for our reccie trip! Although we have been before, this is the first time we are going to look with 'living there' eyes - in the past we have stayed with my sister and treated it as a holiday. For various reasons it has taken us a while to get to the stage of thinking about a permanent move but now we are going to spend 5 days on the East side looking at Mornington, Mount Martha and Berwick and 5 days on the West side looking at Geelong (Highton), Ocean Grove, Torquay area. I plan to take loads of photos and I'll try to keep a blog for anyone interested in any of those places. If anyone would like specific info, let me know and I'll keep a list.

Sorry to offload - this trip is concentrating the mind!

Hi Evie,

I can completely identify with your reasons and motivations. I have similar reasons for my desire for a life down under.

Good luck on your reccie, I hope you come back feeling all your doubts are erased and ready to go. I'd love to hear about Geelong and Ocean Grove. I've now factored this area into my reccie/activation, and I'm trying to gather as much info as possible.

Once again - Good luck - and stay in touch!

T

Guest sanders family

Have a great time i would love to know all about it when you get back as we are moving to melbourne next year. Still can't decide on area as schools and jobs will be the most important thing for us. Happy reccie

Hi,

Moving to Melbourne - we originally planned our trip for October but my husband didn't get a place on the July Vetassess practical so he has to take it in October, therefore the change of plan! There is an added bonus that my Aussie nephew has his first birthday on August 20th so we will be there for that. We were in Melbourne for 4 weeks over Christmas/New Year this year so we have had a taste of your 40 degree summer!

Pinhead - we don't think we really need regular access to the city - Steve is an electrician and I do admin work so we are hoping that Geelong and the surrounding areas will provide work for us. We have heard there is lots of building going on in the West and the houses will all need electrics!

BTW, before anyone thinks we are millionaires with all these Oz visits, my sister and her OH work for Qantas so we are very fortunate indeed to get Staff Travel rates. The downside is that we are always on stand-by which makes for some stressful moments at the airport.

Thanks for all your good wishes, I'll be in touch!

Guest moreteavicar

Hi Evie

We're on our way to Melbourne too, we're flying out in sept to validate our visa. We totally understand why you want to make the big trip to live down under as do a fair amount of people who are members on pio. I've had a job with an employer sponsered visa since mar 07, we had our visa granted nov07 and we've been trying to sell our house since the beginning of the year. We decided to do this reccie as late as poss incase someone might have bought our house,[we have to validate by 17 nov 07] so we're going out in sept and will be staying with my brother . To go back to the reason for trying the move down under , i think from my own view that when you pass the magic 40 mark i think everybody evaluates their life and decides that they haven't really done anything with their life and want something different [may be its the midlife crissis] and i think that anyone who is satisfied with their lot at that stage in life has just been very lucky! There seems to be an awful lot of people in their forties who decide to emigrate ! We've got 2 kids 17 and 13 our move is as much for them as it is for us as i don't believe there is much for them here[scary thought] but based on what my brother and friends of ours who already live down under say there's probably more opportunities out there for them. We waited until we were in our forties before deciding to make the move but like most people i would encourage my kids to spread their wings and experience life if they get the chance to. Anyway have a safe trip and i hope you find what you're looking for.

All the best

Guest KP Nuts

Hi Evie, know where your coming from.......... the same place as us...

Enjoy your reccie, and let us know how you get on.

KP Nuts

Archived