Joint Bank Account

My partner and I plan to marry at the end of the year in Australia. 

I have dual citizenship Australia and the UK 

My partner is a UK resident currently.

We plan to apply for partner visa next year.

We do not have shared bank account, shared mortgage or tenancy.

How can we show evidence of shared finances?

We have been trying to open a shared bank account as this is number one on the visa approval. However with us being in different countries this is proving most difficult because he does not have any Australian ID yet and when we look at UK bank accounts they all say must have been in UK (on the electoral register) for 12 months.

Does anyone know any banks UK or Australia that would allow this?

Can anyone give me examples of shared finances that are not shared bank account, mortgage or tenancy that could be used as evidence of shared finances?

6 hours ago, Samanddave said:

Can anyone give me examples of shared finances that are not shared bank account, mortgage or tenancy that could be used as evidence of shared finances?

Are you sure it's a partner visa you want to apply for?  It sounds like maybe a Prospective Marriage Visa would be a better choice?

For a partner visa, you must already be in a 'de facto' relationship for at least a year.  That means you've already been living as if you are married for a year.  Dating or being engaged does not count.  I'd recommend a consultation with a MARA registered migration agent to make sure you're applying for the right visa.

12 hours ago, Samanddave said:

We have been trying to open a shared bank account as this is number one on the visa approval. However with us being in different countries this is proving most difficult because he does not have any Australian ID yet and when we look at UK bank accounts they all say must have been in UK (on the electoral register) for 12 months.

One way of showing shared finances is to annotate your bank statements if one of you pays for something thats really a joint purchase. Say for example you buy a double bed, for when your partner arrives, you can show that as a joint purchase as its for you both. Or if you stay in a hotel together and one of you pays for it, just make a note on the statement. Or if one of you makes a regular payment to the other towards bills. 

12 hours ago, Samanddave said:

My own circumstances were very VERY similar to those you describe! I did get a partner visa approved and several years later still do not have any joint financial accounts with my lovely partner despite the fact we've now been together in de facto relationship  for 11 years.

Just like many other people, we have separate accounts which were in place before we met. It's convenient for us. Therefore the mortgage is in my name not his, etc etc just as you describe. One thing we do have however is credit cards whereby one person is the account holder and the other is a  a second cardholder whose spending is shown separately on the monthly statement. American Express does this but some other credit card companies do not.  See if you can apply for second cards for each other if the spending is shown separately. The account holder will still have sole responsibility for the account balance payment and debt but it demonstrates that you trust each other with spending your own money. (It could also be practical in advance of your wedding !). 

The other thing is that (unless their policy has changed recently) ANZ will accept overseas applicants for its bank accounts in anticipation of migration, so your fiance could open one from the UK based on his UK credentials. He will have to make a deposit but will not be able to operate the account (ie withdraw any cash, get a debit card etc) until he presents himself with ID in a branch in Australia. (He can however print statements etc. )  I have personally found ANZ very helpful and suggest you see if they will accept a joint application on this basis. However, as I can attest, you do not absolutely need to have joint accounts in order to demonstrate an exclusive commitment to each other.

However I recommend you contact a qualified migration agent like Paul Hand who can guide you. I have consulted with Paul recently on another matter and his advice is both pragmatic and useful.

Good luck!