Utilities

Philip

This is mainly a rant as I am a bit incredulous with how utilities work in the unit/apartment where I am now living in Sydney. The system in the UK has its faults and quirks but it really doesn't compare. I had to speak to 5 people and search through other forums to understand the following, and I'm still not 100% sure.

Like the UK, gas and electricity have standing charges and unit costs. The UK has banned variable unit costs but they still exist in Australia. In the UK, owners/tenants are liable for utilities from the day of completion (settlement in Australian) or the start of rental contract, but here it seems to be from the date the meter is read.

My meters are analog with dials, but they can somehow be read remotely even though they are not smart meters. Despite this, they were not read until 5 days after settlement, therefore I only became responsible for the bills on that day, saving me about $8 in standing charges. A human meter reader would need two keys from two different people to access the meters physically, as that's what I needed to arrange to confirm the energy company had the right numbers. Both of these staff said they had only been to the meter area once before, indicating that nobody else cares that they're being billed correctly.

In the UK, gas is charged in kWh, but meters measure cubic metres or cubic feet. You just have to trust that the energy company converts properly, but the conversion factor doesn't vary that much across the UK. (They do often get mixed up between imperial and metric.)

In Australia gas is charged in megajoules, but in my building it is measured in "kilolitres of hot water". This is because there is a single gas boiler that makes hot water for everyone. The gas bill however shows not kilolitres, but "decalitres of hot water". A complex formula is used to determine how many megajoules of gas are assigned as having been used to heat each decalitre. Obviously the true amount of gas used varies with the outside temperature and how many other people are using hot water at the same time (as well as the variables that make up the UK conversion factor), but these are just ignored.

Then there is a fixed daily charge for "gas cooktop" (hob in British). Which means that gas for cooking is "free" as I pay the same no matter how much I use. I was initially considering replacing it with an electric or induction hob, but apparently I'd still have to pay the fixed charge for the gas.

Cold water is separate from hot water and is also "free" as there are no individual meters. Why the builder was able to put in hot water meters but not cold water meters, I cannot answer. The complex has a single cold water meter so the usage is charged through the strata fees, apportioned to the floor area of each apartment regardless of actual use. When I bought the property, I had to repay the previous owner the strata fees he had paid in advance for the rest of this year, which seem to have included last year's water usage, meaning this year's will be paid next year. Or perhaps it is just 3 months in arrears, it's not very clear.

To top that off, every apartment also receives an individual bill from Sydney Water for a fixed connection charge. Why not just include this in the strata fee too?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

You haven't been in Australia long, have you? 😄

I kind of expected this (I might post more rants in the next few months) but I guess that was part of the point of coming back.

As a child it's basically all about school. I needed to experience living in Australia as an adult before I can truly decide where I want to live, and I want my family to have the same experience

Edited by Philip
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I kind of expected this (I might post more rants in the next few months) but I guess that was part of the point of coming back.

As a child it's basically all about school. I needed to experience living in Australia as an adult before I can truly decide where I want to live, and I want my family to have the same experience

You'll be fine, mate.

Uncle Dan's always got a good bit of anaesthetic to numb the pain.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

I've found myself gravitating more towards Liquorland these days - they seem to have better deals tbh. Peroni and Stella sometimes cheaper than in the UK!

Liquorland is handy, I've one just across the road. But Dan's has a far better range of cognac and port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BendigoBoy said:

Small appetite over the holidays, eh?

Unfortunately we were a little under the weather on Christmas Day, which had absolutely nothing to do with the party on Christmas Eve, but we made up for it on Boxing Day - lobsters and a kilo of prawns. We practically ate an entire prawn village.

35 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Just stop getting on the sad step! 

Any kind of steps would be good right now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

If it makes you feel any better I've just got back from the gym (first visit in a week), and I've put on a Christmas kilo.

Haven't felt well for all of December. Cold after cold. Or one long cold. Not sure, but felt like two. Haven't been sick sick, but just bloody miserable. Been walking, but nothing too strenuous. Coughing and continuously blowing my nose. Finally seems to be drying up. Maybe next week I might be able to do some proper exercise. Still. It's a good excuse for drinking whiskey. Tried monkeys shoulder for the first time. It's not a bad drop for a blend.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blue Manna said:

Haven't felt well for all of December. Cold after cold. Or one long cold. Not sure, but felt like two. Haven't been sick sick, but just bloody miserable. Been walking, but nothing too strenuous. Coughing and continuously blowing my nose. Finally seems to be drying up. Maybe next week I might be able to do some proper exercise. Still. It's a good excuse for drinking whiskey. Tried monkeys shoulder for the first time. It's not a bad drop for a blend.

Cold after cold --- or long covid?

• Like 1