Job search/salary

Simontucks

Hi there!

Could anyone advise on where I can find realistic salaries for jobs in the Brisbane area please. When looking online there seems such a gap between the lowest and highest wages I don't really know which to go with.

We will be moving out to Brisbane (south western suburbs) in April. I'm a time served decorator with 35 years experience and my wife is a empty property officer for a local council.

I do have work lined up for friends of family who already live in Brisbane (quite a lot to be honest) but,just wondering what I could expect to charge/earn.

Thanks for any information and replies 

I suppose to know what to charge you need to reverse engineer it - start with how much you think you should be earning and divide it by 40 hours a week for example. Are you self employed in the UK? When looking at salary ranges I’ve been going with the lower end of the range to be safe. If you end up with top of the scale that’s a bonus? I’m not sure how well your wife’s job translates over but she could look on Smart Jobs to see if there are positions to match her skills and take a steer from there? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Simontucks said:

Hi there!

Could anyone advise on where I can find realistic salaries for jobs in the Brisbane area please. When looking online there seems such a gap between the lowest and highest wages I don't really know which to go with.

We will be moving out to Brisbane (south western suburbs) in April. I'm a time served decorator with 35 years experience and my wife is a empty property officer for a local council.

I do have work lined up for friends of family who already live in Brisbane (quite a lot to be honest) but,just wondering what I could expect to charge/earn.

Thanks for any information and replies 

The going rate for a painter/decorator in Brisbane according to Seek is about $40/hr, so $75-80k per annum. That said, tradies are always in demand, particularly if you're good at what you do and you're reliable because they can be hard to find over here.

If I was you I'd set my hourly rate (labour, ex materials) at $50/hr and see how you go. If you're going to be doing some work for family and friends then you could offer them a discount for cash in hand.

Edited by InnerVoice

On 27/12/2023 at 22:45, InnerVoice said:

The going rate for a painter/decorator in Brisbane according to Seek is about $40/hr, so $75-80k per annum. That said, tradies are always in demand, particularly if you're good at what you do and you're reliable because they can be hard to find over here.

If I was you I'd set my hourly rate (labour, ex materials) at $50/hr and see how you go. If you're going to be doing some work for family and friends then you could offer them a discount for cash in hand.

Thanks so much for that👍👍

• Like 1

On 27/12/2023 at 11:51, Cheery Thistle said:

I suppose to know what to charge you need to reverse engineer it - start with how much you think you should be earning and divide it by 40 hours a week for example. Are you self employed in the UK? When looking at salary ranges I’ve been going with the lower end of the range to be safe. If you end up with top of the scale that’s a bonus? I’m not sure how well your wife’s job translates over but she could look on Smart Jobs to see if there are positions to match her skills and take a steer from there? 

Thanks for that.we keep looking for an equivalent for her job but am yet to find anything. According to my family out in Brisbane she will get work with her qualifications and experience.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Simontucks said:

Thanks for that.we keep looking for an equivalent for her job but am yet to find anything. According to my family out in Brisbane she will get work with her qualifications and experience.

Probably best to focus on the skills she has in her job and look at options that she could do with them. It’s all a bit daunting! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Simontucks said:

Public housing in Australia isn't managed by councils.  In each state, it's looked after by a Housing Commission that manages the whole state.  Here's the info for Queensland:

https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/public-community-housing

Public housing is rare in Australia.  There's only 50,000 dwellings in the whole of Queensland.   I'm sure she'll have transferable skills though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Public housing in Australia isn't managed by councils.  In each state, it's looked after by a Housing Commission that manages the whole state.  Here's the info for Queensland:

https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/public-community-housing

Public housing is rare in Australia.  There's only 50,000 dwellings in the whole of Queensland.   I'm sure she'll have transferable skills though.

In the UK there is one social house for every 16 people (based on 4.4m social houses and 67.3m people).

I'm QLD there is one social house for every 110 people (50k houses and almost 6m people)

That means that QLD has (per capita) nearly 10 times less social housing than the UK so the need for management will be lower.

Basically QLD has 1% of the social housing of the UK, so think about how many people are employed managing that and get rid of 99 out of every 100 employees, that's how many staff QLD needs to manage its stock