482 Sponsored Visa - 2yr Extension (Age 45+)

gary_844

Unusual Scenario - I think...

Company Applied pre-Covid 2019

When it was finally granted in April 22 (I was 45) so only arrived in Sydney Sept 22 due to it taking 6 months of life re-planning with my Wife - also bringing pooch as well.

Extension would be due April 24 although I'm not sure I want to stay with the same business

What would my options be if I decided to stay with the business  / Or maybe I transition to another company - Life feels upside down at the moment!

Unfortunately can't ask my migration agent as they are tied to my company!

As far as I understand it, there's no age limit for a 482 visa - so an extension is feasible; however, as you will be over 45 at that point, unless you work in particular fields (academia, medicine, sciences, I believe are some of those which are given exemptions to the age limit) a transition to a 186 visa with permanent residency is likely out of the question.

That said, if you were only planning on a temporary adventure here in Oz, there should be nothing stopping you seeking 482 sponsorship with another employer.

1 hour ago, gary_844 said:

When it was finally granted in April 22 (I was 45) so only arrived in Sydney Sept 22 due to it taking 6 months of life re-planning with my Wife - also bringing pooch as well.

Extension would be due April 24 although I'm not sure I want to stay with the same business

What would my options be if I decided to stay with the business  / Or maybe I transition to another company - Life feels upside down at the moment!

If he's tied to your company then he's not 'your' migration agent, he's the company's.

I agree with BendigoBoy, I'm not aware of any age restriction on the 482 visa so you could potentially move to a new employer with a new 482.  I also agree that you've got almost zero chance of getting a permanent visa so I assume you're just wanting to stretch your temporary adventure as far as possible.

Edited by Marisawright

"If he's tied to your company then he's not 'your' migration agent, he's the company's."

I meant it as  - The only migration agent I know, that helped get me here is reporting into the business that employs me.

OK sounds like I can at least move - that's a start! 

11 hours ago, gary_844 said:

"If he's tied to your company then he's not 'your' migration agent, he's the company's."

I meant it as  - The only migration agent I know, that helped get me here is reporting into the business that employs me.

I thought that might be the case, but just wanted to mention it. A surprising number of people think that the company's agent is acting in their interests as well as the company's during the application.  

• Like 1

On 04/12/2023 at 14:32, gary_844 said:

Unusual Scenario - I think...

Not that it is not an extension. If your visa is expiring, a whole new application would be required, providing all documentation again. 

There is no age restriction on the subclass 482 visa.

You can transfer your current visa to a different employer/sponsor at any time, provided all requirements can be met. 

If your intention is to apply for Permanent Residency, it may be difficult after the age of 45 as there are only limited exemptions available. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Raul Senise said:

If your intention is to apply for Permanent Residency, it may be difficult after the age of 45 as there are only limited exemptions available. 

@gary_844, I would echo this.   One of the risks of using the company's agent is that the company wants to encourage you to take the job, so they are likely to 'talk up' your chances of permanency.  If you have your own agent, they are more likely to give you an honest, realistic perspective on your chances (which after 45, are very low indeed).