UK leasehold flats vs Australian strata

Philip

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Also the types of retirement villages are often different. I believe a common setup in Queensland is that you buy the home but not the land. That's when you see the annual fee referred to as "rent" because it is. There may not be much in the way of communal facilities to pay for.

That's right, and why I referred to it as 'rent' before.

6 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

There's just my wife and I and neither of us have any family in Australia, so we'd probably be in that category of people who would benefit from the companionship in our golden years.

The rules you describe sound pretty good from my perspective. The last thing I'd want would be to find that I'd moved to a place where my neighbour's are subletting, are allowing younger family members to stay for extended periods while they are away themselves. I've nothing against noisy parties, and people having fun - just as long as I'm invited. Driving within the speed limit would seem to be a considerate thing to do, especially given that many of the residents are elderly and vulnerable. As I've spent my working life trying (not very successfully) to get people to follow rules, I would probably be one of those people who would enjoy reporting others for minor misdemeanours. I can picture myself with hard-hat and clipboard as we speak.

I'd know idea that these places had a cinema, social events, and a bar too. It just gets better and better!

Subletting  is never ever never allowed in these places,  and you have to get permission for anyone to stay longer than three days, and long term visits are not approved.

An example, my  friends had overseas family staying, and there was an emergency situation that required them to rush to help other family for 2  nights. They quickly arranged for a neighbour to stay in their house, as they obviously had to leave their visitors on their own which is not allowed, so thought that would be ok. 

Oh no, they were summoned!!!  into the office by management, to be reprimanded for breaking the rules.and the fact that  busy bodies neighbours had taken it upon themselves to report them, also shows how petty these places can be. 

The management seems to be the biggest complaint and despair of our many friends who live in a variety of the many retirement villages here on the Sunshine Coast. but I will add that our single friends, mostly widows, do seem to benefit the most from the companionship that living in retirement villages brings when now on their own.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this one because I've seen many listings here in Queensland that explicitly state 'no entry or exit fees'. I am happy to PM you links to listings I have seen, or you can search for yourself on Domain or Realestate. You and Parley are in Victoria, and as we all know each state has its own rules and regulations on these matters, not to mention that Queensland is more developed as a retirement destination than other states.

I appreciate I'm the one who took the thread off on a tangent but I can't imagine this conversation is of any benefit to the OP, so we should probably wind this one up.

You are too young for God's waiting room anyway.

Wait until you are in your 70s at least.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Parley said:

You are too young for God's waiting room anyway.

Wait until you are in your 70s at least.

That's funny. One of our Teacher Aides is retiring at the end of this year and I asked her the other day what her plans were. She said, "We're off to God's waiting room - Bribie Island!"

Edited by InnerVoice
  • Like 2