Travelling overseas after applying for citizenship

Wanderer Returns

My wife has recently applied for citizenship but we haven't heard anything yet. Is it okay to go on an overseas holiday in the meantime, or for that matter at anytime during the citizenship process up until the ceremony? Her British passport and RRV are well in date. I had a look at the Immi site and there doesn't seem to be any restrictions, but further clarification on the matter from those in the know would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You can go on holiday but any processing of the application will stop. It should resume when you return though. 
It used to say about travel and recommended not leaving between the test and approval as you must be in Australia for these. 
Not sure on the timelines at the moment though. Once you have attended the ceremony you are a citizen and will need an Australian passport to travel. So allow time for that. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

You can go on holiday but any processing of the application will stop. It should resume when you return though. 
It used to say about travel and recommended not leaving between the test and approval as you must be in Australia for these. 
Not sure on the timelines at the moment though. Once you have attended the ceremony you are a citizen and will need an Australian passport to travel. So allow time for that. 

That's helpful - thank you for that. I was just concerned that my wife's visa might be cancelled after they had received her application. I recall reading something about needing a 'bridging visa' somewhere if you wanted to go overseas, but maybe that was misinformation.

It would seem that the best time to go away would either between now and the test, or after approval and waiting for the ceremony, but not between taking the test and waiting for approval - as you have said.

8 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

That's helpful - thank you for that. I was just concerned that my wife's visa might be cancelled after they had received her application. I recall reading something about needing a 'bridging visa' somewhere if you wanted to go overseas, but maybe that was misinformation.

It would seem that the best time to go away would either between now and the test, or after approval and waiting for the ceremony, but not between taking the test and waiting for approval - as you have said.

The visa won't be cancelled until the ceremony.

As long as the RRV is still valid she can travel on that. No need for bridging visas. 

• Like 1