Sponsorship to teach in NSW on 482

g_CS_teacher

Hi all,

After some advice.

I am a secondary school teacher of 7 years in the UK teaching Computer Science. I have recently been offered a job teaching at an independent school in NSW. They have offered to sponsor me.

My route into teaching was a School Direct (SCITT) route, not a PGCE. It is equal to the PGCE in the UK, yet NESA have only granted me Conditional Accreditation as they do not recognise this qualification. They have still suggested that if I am sponsored, I can still teach for 6 years in NSW without further training.

Two questions:

1. Will I need an AITSL skills test to apply and be accepted for Visa 482 pathway, considering only being granted Conditional Accreditation?

2. How likely will I be accepted onto AITSL skills test with my qualification? I did not receive a transcript, yet the university did write and sign a letter confirming the below:

This was a salaried, school-based route. The course is run by a partnership between a lead school, other schools and an accredited teacher training provider (in this case, #university name#).

#name# teaching practice was supervised by a member of the University's Faculty of Education and onsite mentor teachers.

#name# completed the required 120 days on placement in supervised teaching practice, teaching pupils in Primary and Secondary school settings at the following schools:…

Any experiences or insight would be hugely helpful!

Thank you 😄

There seems to be more teachers looking to make the move!

From what you have described no AITSL will not accept this. They request an academic transcript from the university. I am in the minority where my SCITT partnering university agreed to create a transcript for me detailing the units completed for my PGCE. I am not sure if you require AITSL for the 482 visa (I don't think you do) however they wouldn't be requested by state education registration to intervene in any way. AITSL is utilised for initial visa applications.

I'm in WA and TRBWA would accept SCITTs. 'The Department does not recognise the Qualified Teaching Status (QTS) certification where it is not held in conjunction with a suitable Initial Teacher Education qualification, awarded by a recognised university.' I believe they mean the old GTP route, SCITTs have a recognised university as a partner...

7 minutes ago, benj1980 said:

There seems to be more teachers looking to make the move!

From what you have described no AITSL will not accept this. They request an academic transcript from the university. I am in the minority where my SCITT partnering university agreed to create a transcript for me detailing the units completed for my PGCE. I am not sure if you require AITSL for the 482 visa (I don't think you do) however they wouldn't be requested by state education registration to intervene in any way. AITSL is utilised for initial visa applications.

I'm in WA and TRBWA would accept SCITTs. 'The Department does not recognise the Qualified Teaching Status (QTS) certification where it is not held in conjunction with a suitable Initial Teacher Education qualification, awarded by a recognised university.' I believe they mean the old GTP route, SCITTs have a recognised university as a partner...

That’s super useful, thank you.

Just out of interest, did you request the transcript to be created or was it automatically generated and sent to you. Also, did you get accepted by AITSL skills test with SCITT and a transcript only?

Thank you!

19 minutes ago, benj1980 said:

I told the university registrar what I required and they created it for me. It wasn't autogenerated, that's why I say I was fortunate. AITSL accepted my letter confirming teaching days, transcript and PGCE certificate.

Ah I see. That’s very helpful of them. I’ve just requested a transcript for myself. Even with a transcript and confirmation of supervised days, I fear that the School Direct without PGCE route like I did might not be accepted. 

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/07/2023 at 17:24, g_CS_teacher said:

Hi all,

After some advice.

I am a secondary school teacher of 7 years in the UK teaching Computer Science. I have recently been offered a job teaching at an independent school in NSW. They have offered to sponsor me.

My route into teaching was a School Direct (SCITT) route, not a PGCE. It is equal to the PGCE in the UK, yet NESA have only granted me Conditional Accreditation as they do not recognise this qualification. They have still suggested that if I am sponsored, I can still teach for 6 years in NSW without further training.

Two questions:

1. Will I need an AITSL skills test to apply and be accepted for Visa 482 pathway, considering only being granted Conditional Accreditation?

2. How likely will I be accepted onto AITSL skills test with my qualification? I did not receive a transcript, yet the university did write and sign a letter confirming the below:

This was a salaried, school-based route. The course is run by a partnership between a lead school, other schools and an accredited teacher training provider (in this case, #university name#).

#name# teaching practice was supervised by a member of the University's Faculty of Education and onsite mentor teachers.

#name# completed the required 120 days on placement in supervised teaching practice, teaching pupils in Primary and Secondary school settings at the following schools:…

Any experiences or insight would be hugely helpful!

Thank you 😄

Hi 

unfortunately I am not able to assist with your query but I am interested regarding your situation and wondered if you could answer a couple of questions for me?

1 - did you apply for the job without being registered with the teacher board first? 
2 - were the employer aware of your skills potentially not meeting the criteria for provisional registration when offering the post? Was the offer made subject to this condition being met?

3 - is the school in a regional area?

4 - did the school offer sponsorship or did you have to request it?

I am looking to migrate myself and wonder if a sponsored route is best.  

thank you for any info you can provide. 

Edited by LFrance
Missed info

1 minute ago, LFrance said:

Hi 

unfortunately I am not able to assist with your query but I am interested regarding your situation and wondered if you could answer a couple of questions for me?

1 - did you apply for the job without being registered with the teacher board first? 
2 - were the employer aware of your skills potentially not meeting the criteria for provisional registration when offering the post? Was the offer made subject to this condition being met?

3 - is the school in a regional area?

thank you for any info you can provide. 

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I actually now thing I might have the answer to point 1. 482 dies not require a skills assessment. 

It would still be helpful to understand more about point 2 for if I later wanted PR. The school in in NSW and are aware. They don’t seem to think it is an issue, being an independent school. 

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, g_CS_teacher said:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I actually now thing I might have the answer to point 1. 482 dies not require a skills assessment. 

It would still be helpful to understand more about point 2 for if I later wanted PR. The school in in NSW and are aware. They don’t seem to think it is an issue, being an independent school. 

Thanks!

I have just read the same and I have also found an article online saying that PR can be achieved for all subclass 482 visas. 

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=f0bf8add-87b7-41f3-8253-d7e8eae1724b#:~:text=Blog The Mobile Workforce&text=Australia's Department of Home Affairs,by the end of 2023.

Did the school offer sponsorship or did you have to request it… did they know prior to interview etc?

1 minute ago, LFrance said:

I have just read the same and I have also found an article online saying that PR can be achieved for all subclass 482 visas. 

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=f0bf8add-87b7-41f3-8253-d7e8eae1724b#:~:text=Blog The Mobile Workforce&text=Australia's Department of Home Affairs,by the end of 2023.

Did the school offer sponsorship or did you have to request it… did they know prior to interview etc?

Absolutely. The school recruited based upon my experience and skillset, not what the state were able to accredit me to. They attempted to recruit locally first. That failed due to lack of teachers of the subject, so they had grounds to recruit from abroad. 

From what I’ve read, I can obtain PR on 482 if I remain with the same employer for 3 years. 

6 minutes ago, g_CS_teacher said:

Absolutely. The school recruited based upon my experience and skillset, not what the state were able to accredit me to. They attempted to recruit locally first. That failed due to lack of teachers of the subject, so they had grounds to recruit from abroad. 

From what I’ve read, I can obtain PR on 482 if I remain with the same employer for 3 years. 

That is changing to 2 years by the end of the year. Great news!

5 minutes ago, LFrance said:

Do you think it is worth just applying for jobs then in Australia in the hope a school will sponsor? 

Yes - I would recommend speaking to an agency to help. Teachers are in high demand, but it of course depends on the subject. Mine is especially in high demand, plus I have taught in some very good UK schools which helped. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LFrance said:

If you are looking to migrate, then an independent skilled visa (189 or 190) is always best. 

The only advantage of the sponsored route is that you have a job as soon as you arrive.  Once upon a time, the sponsor would pay all your relocation costs, help with accommodation etc etc but they're much less generous now.  The downside is that you're trapped in their job, even if you don't like it, because your visa relies on that employer. Plus, of course, you're relying on them to sponsor you for PR at the end of the contract, and what if they decide not to?  Though there is a pathway to PR, it's not automatic and it's very far from guaranteed.

The OP has a job offer from an independent school (a private school).   Private schools don't have to adhere to the same rules as state schools when hiring teachers. However you'll still have to fulfil the requirements for the visa as set by Immigration, even if the school has lower requirements.

Edited by Marisawright

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/08/2023 at 15:38, g_CS_teacher said:

Hi,

Thanks!

Hey!

how are you getting on with this? Have you had to apply for a skills assessment with AITSL? I’m seeing on immi website that 482 requires skills assessment - not seen this before. Perhaps it’s new. 

would love to hear how it’s all progressing. 

L

2 hours ago, LFrance said:

Hey!

how are you getting on with this? Have you had to apply for a skills assessment with AITSL? I’m seeing on immi website that 482 requires skills assessment - not seen this before. Perhaps it’s new. 

would love to hear how it’s all progressing. 

L

Not all skilled worker positions require a skills assessment. Most do not and only the ones given in the link below do:

https://visaenvoy.com/tss-482-visa-skills-assessment/

does this help?

I have since found an employer that is willing to sponsor me and I therefore do not require a skills assessment. 

• Congratulations 1

9 minutes ago, g_CS_teacher said:

Not all skilled worker positions require a skills assessment. Most do not and only the ones given in the link below do:

https://visaenvoy.com/tss-482-visa-skills-assessment/

does this help?

I have since found an employer that is willing to sponsor me and I therefore do not require a skills assessment. 

Superb - really helpful thanks!

On 09/08/2023 at 00:38, g_CS_teacher said:

Hi,

Thanks!

(4)  If the Minister requires the applicant to demonstrate that he or she has the skills that are necessary to perform the tasks of the nominated occupation, the applicant demonstrates that he or she has those skills in the manner specified by the Minister.

Check the regulations!