Permanent Resident wanting to return after 10 years.

Webby1892

Hi All

I have permanent residency but have been outside Australia for 10 years, I was hoping to return with my wife and kids who where not part of my original visa application. 

The visa I had when I gained PR was 136 skliled migrant. 

I'm trying to understand what I need to do to add my wife and kids to my residency or is it case of applying for new visa completely? 

When I first migrated to Perth I gained PR as I'm a time served boiler maker (I have  Australian Trade Certificate) , I've not worked in that capacity for a number of years as I have moved in to Project Management. If I did have to apply again would it be best applying as Boiler maker or Project Manager assuming I need to apply for the 189 visa. 

Thanks in Advance 

I would suggest you reach out to a migrant agent. There are several who post on this site and they are highly regarded.  You could apply for a residency return visa but you’ve been away a long time.  I believe you have to show ties to the country, a job offer for example.  Or as you say, it may be you have to start again.  Best to get the answers from professionals in that field, it’s too important to get wrong.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

I agree, best to book a consultation with a migration agent to make sure you get it right.  It's possible to waste a lot of money, doing things the wrong way around.

Even though you  had "permanent residency", you can't just return to Australia, even if you were still single.  Your initial visa lasted 5 years, and before that expired, you either needed to get citizenship, or apply for a RRV (Resident Return Visa).  Now, you don't have the right to enter Australia any more.

If you were still single, I'd be telling you to try for a RRV as a first step, even though it's been a long time and you don't fulfil all the requirements in theory. I've been surprised how many people manage to get one in that situation.  However you've also got the complication of now having a family so it's really going to need a migration agent to sort out the best approach.

• Thanks 1

As others have said, your PR expired many years ago. To reinstate it, an RRV is always the first step to try in these circumstances. If that is successful, you will need a partner visa for the family.  

Edited by paulhand
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, paulhand said:

As others have said, your PR expired many years ago. To reinstate it, an RRV is always the first step to try in these circumstances. If that is successful, you will need a partner visa for the family.  

Paul definitely seems like the sensible way to tackle it, especially with the RRV being relatively inexpensive. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Webby1892 said:

Paul definitely seems like the sensible way to tackle it, especially with the RRV being relatively inexpensive. 

However I would hire an agent like Paul to submit it for you, as your chances of getting an RRV aren’t that great after such a long absence. You need a good agent ti make your case

• Thanks 1