Home care, Rehab costs post surgery 143 visa

mcgkerry

Good morning all.

My parents originally from the UK have been in Oz now on a permanent 143 visa for nearly 7 years now and a total of 9 years (including time on 173 prior to the 143 grant).

They have of course accessed Medicare services for hospital care etc over the years but one of them is soon to have extensive cardiac surgery in a public hospital (no private cover) and may require additional assistance at home for a period of rehabilitation which will be assessed by occupational therapy/ Physiotherapy team prior to discharge.... 

Does anyone know if this home care type support is something they can have under the Medicare cover they have or ... is this something that may be denied or restricted as we are still in the 10-year assurance of support?

Just keen to know if we will be billed for the additional support required as I am very unclear if the restrictions under the 10-year period are just related to them getting any kind of financial payment (low-income payments etc ..which they have never claimed any Australian payments and live only on their UK state pension and support from us.

Thanks in anticipation.

The 143 visa is a permanent visa so they have full access to Medicare. 

However physiotherapy and occupational therapy aren't covered by Medicare even if you have full access. If you have a chronic condition, you can get 5 free visits a year, and that's it. 

Home care isn't covered by Medicare at all.  That is administered by a different system.

https://www.careabout.com.au/home-care-packages/medicare

https://www.myagedcare.gov.au/help-at-home/commonwealth-home-support-programme

• Like 3

I don’t know if our recent experience will help, as we are not restricted to the 10 year time limit on the 143.

My husband broke his ankle, and while in emergency he was seen by both a physiotherapist and occupational therapist.

He will need physio therapy for quite some time, we do have private cover, so the advice was, first use your private, then your 5 (not always free) sessions from your Medicare care plan, as soon as he goes on the care plan, apply to go on the hospital list for further treatment, to hopefully then not wait too long to get further hospital physio therapy, he  should be near the top of the list by then.

We then saw the occupational therapist, who put him down for a home assessment, and if appropriate then on a care package from a provider, but  Honestly not sure if by then we will still be eligible, but will be in the system. Both of them were full of advice and helped as much as they could.

there didn’t seem to be any instant help obviously available, but luckily our son could come  for 3 weeks, he could work remotely, but had to leave yesterday. Our Dr. wrote a letter for his company saying he was eligible for emergency care leave to look after us, as I had just had a pacemaker fitted, and was supposed to take it easy for a few weeks, and my husband broke his ankle only a few days later. 

I really hope you manage to get some help, it’s a worrying time, check out if temporary care in a care home is a possible option.

• Like 3