Tourist visa while awaiting partner visa

Rawlos

Is it possible to enter Australia on a tourist visa while I wait my partner visa subclass 309. 
I have been with my Australian partner for 15yrs married 4yrs with 3 children who are now Australian citizens. Needing to move to australia in March to be with my husband dad who isn’t in the best of health. cheers for any advice on what we can do regarding the right visa. 

Yes you can.  The only possible snag is that you can only have one visa at any one time.  So let's say you apply for the tourist visa, then your partner visa comes through.  In all the excitement, you forget to cancel the tourist visa. The tourist visa comes through, and you immediately lose the partner visa, and have to start all over again!

It is possible, if you've applied from the UK, that your partner visa isn't that far away. I don't know if any of the agents can shed light on how long they're taking at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

On 26/01/2023 at 02:13, Marisawright said:

Yes you can.  The only possible snag is that you can only have one visa at any one time.  So let's say you apply for the tourist visa, then your partner visa comes through.  In all the excitement, you forget to cancel the tourist visa. The tourist visa comes through, and you immediately lose the partner visa, and have to start all over again!

It is possible, if you've applied from the UK, that your partner visa isn't that far away. I don't know if any of the agents can shed light on how long they're taking at the moment. 

@Marisawright do you know what would happen if a person submitted a partner visa, then whilst waiting for that applied for a tourist visa?  Would it cancel the 309 application or would that sit there being processed?

Thanks

5 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

@Marisawright do you know what would happen if a person submitted a partner visa, then whilst waiting for that applied for a tourist visa?  Would it cancel the 309 application or would that sit there being processed?

Thanks

No, just applying for a visa doesn't cancel any other applications in progress AFAIK.

• Thanks 1