RRV or WHV?

mandymark

I'm after some advice for my 22yr old son.  As a family of 4 we held a 176 SS visa until October 2016.  Our reasons for not being able to emigrate during the validity period are complicated and myself and husband had a RRV application rejected at the end of March 2019.  I was going to start an appeal but then my Mum became ill and sadly passed away 2 months later.

My son graduated from uni in August this year and now wants to travel to Australia.  He last visited Australia in August 2016 and stayed with his grandparents who are Australian citizens (have lived in Qld since 1993).

Obviously at the time of the travel facility expiring on our PR visa our son was only 16 therefore too young to be able to emigrate on his own and has spent the past 4 years at university.  He would now like to apply for the RRV but as he has been outside of Australia for over 5 years now we believe that the process may take at least 2-3 months, therefore would he be able to apply for a WHV enabling him to travel there sooner or would this prevent him from applying for a RRV in future?

Thanks in advance.

I agree with VeryStormy.  This is too important to get wrong, because if he does the wrong thing he could wreck his chances of getting back into Australia.  Book a one-off consultation with a good agent like Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda (it can be on the phone or over Zoom).  Worth the investment.