Brisbane Family Suburbs

51 minutes ago, BendigoBoy said:

I'm very appreciative of the fact that many occupations can't or won't be as accommodating; but it's not as black and white as "Corporate Australia wants to see an end to WFH".

I appreciate that was rather a generalization, but one based on what has been reported recently in the media.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

I appreciate that was rather a generalization, but one based on what has been reported recently in the media.

All good; personally, I've given up on the ABC and the wider media in general.  It's perpetual "the sky is falling nonsense" because of interest rates normalising recently.

Just wanted to clarify and give a little voice to there being at least some fields where the organisations aren't holding all the cards 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BendigoBoy said:

Just wanted to clarify and give a little voice to there being at least some fields where the organisations aren't holding all the cards 🙂

However the statement was true.   Corporate Australia wants to see an end to WFH.   They won't get it, because some employees have enough bargaining power to push back.  But they do want it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

However the statement was true.   Corporate Australia wants to see an end to WFH.   They won't get it, because some employees have enough bargaining power to push back.  But they do want it.

In general, I wouldn't dispute that. 
It just strikes me, in the main from what I've witnessed and discussed with peers over the last few years, as little more than "managers" wanting to be seen to exercise some control, power and value add where they've probably not actually been adding anything substantial for a few years now.  
Must be rather emasculating when all those damned professionals just get on and do their bloody jobs even better working from home than when they have you standing watch over their shoulders. 🤣

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BendigoBoy said:

Must be rather emasculating when all those damned professionals just get on and do their bloody jobs even better working from home than when they have you standing watch over their shoulders🤣

Ah, but what about all the people that don't?   

Maybe not in your field, but in corporate Australia, there's an awful lot of people who lob into work at 7am or leave at 6, to show how "dedicated" they are, then they spend most of their time playing games or using dating apps on their laptop.

1 hour ago, BendigoBoy said:

In general, I wouldn't dispute that. 
It just strikes me, in the main from what I've witnessed and discussed with peers over the last few years, as little more than "managers" wanting to be seen to exercise some control, power and value add where they've probably not actually been adding anything substantial for a few years now.  
Must be rather emasculating when all those damned professionals just get on and do their bloody jobs even better working from home than when they have you standing watch over their shoulders. 🤣

I’m on the exec board of a 6000 person software company in the U.K.  most of our teams are now home based. We’ve seen zero productivity reduction.  In fact our software implementation is more productive being done remotely than on customer site. 

Where we do have a negative impact is getting new joiners, particularly people in their first job, integrated into the company culture and bonded with team mates. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Ah, but what about all the people that don't?   

Maybe not in your field, but in corporate Australia, there's an awful lot of people who lob into work at 7am or leave at 6, to show how "dedicated" they are, then they spend most of their time playing games or using dating apps on their laptop.

I don't disagree with that.

But I do think that proper, meaningful management should be able to detect productivity over activity.

So perhaps it's really a failure of management practice if people end up just doing "busy work" rather than being measured by objective, meaningful results and performance measures.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

I’m on the exec board of a 6000 person software company in the U.K.  most of our teams are now home based. We’ve seen zero productivity reduction.  In fact our software implementation is more productive being done remotely than on customer site. 

Where we do have a negative impact is getting new joiners, particularly people in their first job, integrated into the company culture and bonded with team mates. 

Concur with you on juniors; and I think it's an area where strong tech leads really show their value and their worth.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

This doesn't surprise me at all.

Years ago, there were some interesting studies done on open plan offices.  In general, having an open plan office improved productivity and wellbeing in the office...except in the IT department.   It was found that programmers worked at their peak when given a personal pod to work inside, with a door they could close to exclude all external distractions. 

Of course no one paid any attention to that, since it would cost too much to give programmers their own offices.   The other point that got lost, by the way, was that even in the open plan office, attention had to be paid to noise reduction (such as dividing screens that were above head height when seated).

• Like 2

90% of roles he has seen or enquired about have been hybrid or working from home fully. 

Hybrid would certainly be best for both of us. 

Similarly, I am moving to a corporate firm and in the many calls I have had prior to the move, only one person has been in the office on one occasion. There's great factual studies undertaken in the UK regarding hybrid working, across a large number of sectors and companies running hybrid trials with great success. 

It won't ever be for all when some occupations are naturally in a physical workplace but it's working for our industries so far, and seems to be in UK and Australia.