IMMI update about processing times

psuwara

Thanks for the post! I arrived in Australia in May 2019 and have been waiting on my PR application since June 2021. Not long after arriving I met my Australian partner and now have an Australian child on the way, both are impacted by the wait. My current visa is due to expire, I have recently got a good job with a good employer who understands so that's good! I am trying not to watch the pot boil but it's not usually not far from my mind. News like this is always welcome.

7 hours ago, JetBlast said:

Thanks for the post! I arrived in Australia in May 2019 and have been waiting on my PR application since June 2021. Not long after arriving I met my Australian partner and now have an Australian child on the way, both are impacted by the wait. My current visa is due to expire, I have recently got a good job with a good employer who understands so that's good! I am trying not to watch the pot boil but it's not usually not far from my mind. News like this is always welcome.

Which VISA are you currently on at the moment?

On 18/09/2022 at 00:18, psuwara said:

IMMI posted a detailed update about processing times and the work currently being done.

Looks like more stuff being added to support mostly older applications before they get to new applications.

link https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times

And yet nothing for parent visas except an increase in (supposed) processing times from 67 months to 73! 

• 1 month later...

I just came across some news about funding of the Home Affairs.

The previous Morrison government cut migration program funding to the Department of Home Affairs by $875 million over four years, while keeping the number of places for skilled and family visas to 160,000. Visa processing times have since blown out and Australian businesses have complained of being unable to hire enough people with the right skills.

I didn't know that, no wonder processing times have blown out of proportion in pre COVID. 

The Albanese government promised to accelerate visa processing times and announced an extra $36.1 million to hire up to 500 people for nine months to help address wait times.

Well that's good but a far cry from the $875 million cut from the previous government

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/visa-changes-in-australia-federal-budget-explained/f9ipn0r1z

We will know more on Oct 25 when they release the new budget.

41 minutes ago, Arese said:

I just came across some news about funding of the Home Affairs.

I didn't know that, no wonder processing times have blown out of proportion in pre COVID. 

Well that's good but a far cry from the $875 million cut from the previous government

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/visa-changes-in-australia-federal-budget-explained/f9ipn0r1z

We will know more on Oct 25 when they release the new budget.

I’m afraid that’s old news and  if you read it carefully all the places are for skilled  visas - not parent visas unfortunately. Hopefully there will be better news in the budget 

8 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

I’m afraid that’s old news and  if you read it carefully all the places are for skilled  visas - not parent visas unfortunately. Hopefully there will be better news in the budget 

Are you referring to the cap increase from 160,000 to 195,000 for 2022-2023? 

Yes, I remember seeing that the increase was only for skilled migrants.

But that was announced by the previous government right? Are those numbers final or could those numbers be changed in the new budget being released tomorrow? 

Is it where we will find out the new numbers when the budget is released? https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/what-we-do/migration-program-planning-levels

Thanks 🙂

EDIT: Would you be able to clarify the below statement for me?

From 2022-23, Partner visas will be granted on a demand driven basis to facilitate family reunification. This will help reduce the Partner visa pipeline and processing times for many applicants.

What does demand driven mean exactly? I mean I understand the term but how will it affect processing times? If there is more demand, they allocate more staff to process more partner visa and vice-versa?  

Edited by Arese

12 minutes ago, Arese said:

Are you referring to the cap increase from 160,000 to 195,000 for 2022-2023? 

Yes, I remember seeing that the increase was only for skilled migrants.

But that was announced by the previous government right? Are those numbers final or could those numbers be changed in the new budget being released tomorrow? 

No it was announced by the current immigration minister!!  https://minister.homeaffairs.gov.au/AndrewGiles/Pages/australias-migration-future.aspx

The old govt increased the quota to 6000 in their last budget. The extra 35000 for skilled migration was introduced by the new govt

Yes  numbers could change in this budget but there’s currently a review into all visas going on (set up by current govt) which will report in February 2023 so we might not hear anything  about parent visas till then - they could potentially  call a halt to visas like 103 and  804 because their waiting  time is increasing to about 40 years now and they're not financially viable for the govt 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

No it was announced by the current immigration minister!!  https://minister.homeaffairs.gov.au/AndrewGiles/Pages/australias-migration-future.aspx

The old govt increased the quota to 6000 in their last budget. The extra 35000 for skilled migration was introduced by the new govt

Yes  numbers could change in this budget but there’s currently a review into all visas going on (set up by current govt) which will report in February 2023 so we might not hear anything  about parent visas till then - they could potentially  call a halt to visas like 103 and  804 because their waiting  time is increasing to about 40 years now and they're not financially viable for the govt 

Oh it was the Albanese government. Well sounds promising, visas and visa processing times seem to be on the Albanese's government. 

Thanks for the link, it was insightful