Heading back to UK with 12yr & 14yr old

Stewart13

Hi everyone 

Due to unplanned circumstances, we are returning to the UK after 18years of living in Oz. My kids will be going into UK year 8 and Year 10. Obviously this is really not ideal, especially for the 14year old but it is what it is and I’m trying to make the experience as best as possible for them. I would love to hear from anyone who has had kids join a UK school and any experiences and lessons learnt. Of course, I appreciate every child is different but still keen to hear from anyone and their experience. We are hoping to be heading back in Feb, would love to go sooner but have to get the house sold etc. 

I’m so worried that they are going to struggle. We’re prepared to get them tutors to play catch up as the more I read, it sounds like they will be significantly behind their UK peers. 

Hi.  I have no experience of moving my kid at that age, but just wanted to say that I moved schools as a fourteen year old many years ago and was really worried about making friends. The second day I was there I met someone who has been a close friend now for nearly sixty years, and was incredibly happy in my new location, which I still call home. It isn’t a good age to be moving but it isn’t the end of the world either. As a retired teacher who worked in an international school with lots of comings and goings, I would echo the comments of others on this page - try for year nine if you can. Good luck with it all, it’s a nerve wracking time. 

• Like 2

Also they do not have to do as many subjects, give them a break and allow time in the schedule to catch up.  We had to move back once with kids in GCSE years. The school was great, they did extra lessons instead of PE or other “fillers” and did less subjects. Both did well and went to uni and the more academic one now has a PhD.

6 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Also they do not have to do as many subjects, give them a break and allow time in the schedule to catch up.  We had to move back once with kids in GCSE years. The school was great, they did extra lessons instead of PE or other “fillers” and did less subjects. Both did well and went to uni and the more academic one now has a PhD.

That’s great to hear. I like the idea about time being allocated during the school day to catch up etc. something I’ll discuss with the school for sure. 

9 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Hi.  I have no experience of moving my kid at that age, but just wanted to say that I moved schools as a fourteen year old many years ago and was really worried about making friends. The second day I was there I met someone who has been a close friend now for nearly sixty years, and was incredibly happy in my new location, which I still call home. It isn’t a good age to be moving but it isn’t the end of the world either. As a retired teacher who worked in an international school with lots of comings and goings, I would echo the comments of others on this page - try for year nine if you can. Good luck with it all, it’s a nerve wracking time. 

Thank you for your insight. It sure is a nerve wracking time ! 

• Like 1

My parents ping-ponged a couple of times and we moved to the UK when I was 13: all the other kids thought I was some exotic novelty because of my accent and there wasn't any issues fitting in - I was regularly quizzed on what was happening on Neighbours more than anything.  Kids are adaptable so don't worry about that, just find the right schooling level and they'll be fine.

• Like 1