Advice on skilled jobs description 'Operation Theatre Practitioner'

K_Edwards

Good Morning, 

I was wondering if anyone has an idea of the full job description for skilled job title of 'Operating Theatre Technician' (OTT), there are alot of roles within Theatre in the UK and I am unsure if it means Theatre Support Worker, Assistant Theatre Practitioner, or Operation Department Practitioner. My partner is Theatre support worker/ Assistant Theatre Practitioner Band 3 in the UK, based on the job description on Australia's skills list 311214 - OTT, it sounds like his current job role. It does say that for this position they require Health Certificate III or other form of study to prove study of the current job role in the UK. However, in the UK this is learnt on the job. My main questions are;

1. Do you have to scrub up for OTT job role?

2. Full job description of OTT and what is the equivalent role in the UK?

3. Can we apply for a Skilled visa 190 eventhough that this job role is learnt on the job?

4. Any advice will be appreciative in this situation 

Thank you 

19 hours ago, K_Edwards said:

based on the job description on Australia's skills list 311214 - OTT, it sounds like his current job role. It does say that for this position they require Health Certificate III or other form of study to prove study of the current job role in the UK. However, in the UK this is learnt on the job. My main questions are;

If his job description and duties match, then it's probably the right one.  He will need to pass a Skills Assessment. 

Usually, if a qualification is required, you can substitute work experience.  So for instance, they might say you need a Certificate OR  a certain amount of experience in the job.

If it also says he needs a certificate plus experience, then that experience is additional.

So, for instance, let's say it says you must have, "Certificate III or 3 years experience".   Then it says you must have at least 2 years work experience.  That means he would need a total of 5 years experience.  Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

OTT is skills assessed by VETASSESS and is a 'Category D' occupation:

"Skills Assessment Criteria:

Qualification(s) assessed at AQF Certificate IV with a highly relevant field of study and at least one year of postqualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the last five years;

OR

Qualification(s) assessed at AQF Certificate IV without a highly relevant field of study and at least two years of postqualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the last five years;

OR

Qualification(s) assessed at AQF Certificate III with a highly relevant field of study and at least three years of postqualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the last five years;

Note: For pre-qualification employment (if all of your employment is before your qualifications assessed at the AQF Certificate III or Certificate IV level), three years of highly relevant employment in addition to at least one year of highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the last five years."

• Like 1

PaulHand,

I have read the requirements for the OTT and understand this. Like I have explained the duties explained in ANZCO 311214 is my partners job role. In the UK we learn this role on the job and progress within the hospital trust without certification. The only thing I need to know is 'does the role in OTT Australian role require you to scrub up'. If you do then that answers my question that my partner requires the Band 4/5 degree/certificate. I've just been researching my hardest and non the wiser on specific difference between Australian OTT and UK Theatre support worker.

If you want to apply for a permanent skilled visa (like the 190), you need a positive skills assessment. If the assessing authority requires a formal qualification to provide this (which they do), then that’s what you need in order to obtain the positive skills assessment. What is required (or not) to do the job in the UK is irrelevant. 

If you are discussing this with a registered migration agent, then I’m sure they will explain all of this in the context of your specific circumstances. 

• Like 1