Career change

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has went over and had a complete career change? I’m a gas engineer here in the UK but it’s boring me to tears, I would love to arrive in Adelaide and be able to start a new career path. I could continue working in my industry but from what I’ve heard, it can be costly to retrain and would include going to college night classes and I’m not up for doing that. 

You've got to get your visa in your existing occupation first.    If you can get a 189 or a 190 visa, then once you've got your visa, you can do any job you damn well please. There's no obligation to keep working in your current job.

Obviously you could take any unskilled job, or start up in business doing something else. However if you want to do another trade then obviously you'll have to retrain, just like you would in the UK.  

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

You've got to get your visa in your existing occupation first.    If you can get a 189 or a 190 visa, then once you've got your visa, you can do any job you damn well please. There's no obligation to keep working in your current job.

Obviously you could take any unskilled job, or start up in business doing something else. However if you want to do another trade then obviously you'll have to retrain, just like you would in the UK.  

I’ve applied for a 491 visa under my skill recently. I’d say I’m looking to get out of the trades altogether, start something fresh. 

51 minutes ago, Brianm93 said:

I’ve applied for a 491 visa under my skill recently. I’d say I’m looking to get out of the trades altogether, start something fresh. 

I'm pretty sure you can change jobs on a 491 as well.  The only difficulty I can see is that to qualify for your permanent visa down the track, you have to show you've earned a certain salary.   If you change jobs and have to start from scratch at a junior level, you might struggle to reach the salary level required.  That means you'd end up having to go home because you can't get a permanent visa.

I think your only choice is to decide what career you want to change to, then take whatever courses you need while you're still in the UK, waiting for your visa. 

4 hours ago, Brianm93 said:

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has went over and had a complete career change? I’m a gas engineer here in the UK but it’s boring me to tears, I would love to arrive in Adelaide and be able to start a new career path. I could continue working in my industry but from what I’ve heard, it can be costly to retrain and would include going to college night classes and I’m not up for doing that. 

Hey Brian, I'm probably in the same spot as you - successfully skills assessed based on my experience/skill as a network engineer which is great (application in for 491 SA) but unsure what I want my long-term career path to be, which would also be the case if staying in the UK. It's a daunting prospect and realistically I'm more than happy to work in my current field while I get settled and then see how things go...maybe I'll re-find the love! But as Marisa mentions you aren't committed to the occupation your visa has been granted on, you 'just need to' satisfy the regional requirement and earn above the threshold for 3 years (which could be you or your partner if you are going with someone else, that person would then apply for the 191 when appropriate).

I guess it depends if you think you could stick it out for 3 years to earn the right money and get PR and then you'll have a bit more freedom to retrain in a different field with a potential lower salary. If it makes you completely unhappy though, I echo what Marisa has said re. getting some learning under your belt in the meantime before you head over to give you the best chance.

Just piping up to say we are hoping my husband can find something totally different to do once we get over. Luckily for him the visa is linked to my career (nurse), so he is free to start all over again if he wants.

What are you thinking/wanting to do? In an ideal world I think my husband would do something either creative/conservation-y, I know there is a member on here who started out volunteering in this sort of work and then became a ranger, which sounds great - but must remember not to get too excited as it’s not me who gets to sack off my career  😅😅