190 Western Australia

Evening all,

Would it be worth pursuing a 190 application with 65 or 70 points for WA?

I've worked out points wise I get 15 for age, 20 for language skills (subject to IELTS), 10 for work experience, 15 for qualifications, 5 for partner skills and 5 for nomination - giving me 70. 

I may struggle to get sufficient evidence for a skills assessment for more than the last 5 years due to working for large multinationals and no remaining contacts in them, overall I have 12 years at the level in the role description, 19 years of finance experience overall.

I'd be applying as a Finance Manager, although I can't quite work out if I would be eligible for the vanilla 190 route or if it falls into the graduate stream, in which point I would fall down on not having any Australian experience

The other option potentially is for a 189 as a general accountant where I would lose the 5 nomination points but would still be able to get 65-70 points depending on the evidence I can get for my experience.

Kinda realised it's now or never for looking at getting a visa, nothing like seeing an age cut-off to make you realise that you're getting on in years :-(

The 189 is not an option for an Accountant unless you can score 95 to 100 points.   It's a competitive process, like applying for a job.  65 points is the minimum you need to be allowed to apply, but there are so many applicants with 95+ points, they fill the Accountant quota every year.

I suggest having a go at IELTS or equivalent before you go much further.  It sounds crazy, but the tests are aimed at foreigners, who learn English much more correctly than we do, and British native speakers often struggle to get a decent score.  If you can't conquer the language test, you're not going to even make the threshold. 

The states are much less focussed on points than the federal system. They look at what their needs are at the time. Is there any way you can find out what demand is like in WA?  There has been a real glut of accountants/finance professionals in Australia in recent years.  

I would strongly suggest hiring an agent.  It's something professionals often resist because you know you've got the skills to DIY.  However you're missing out on an agent's insider knowledge. They know how their other accountant applicants have fared, they get briefings from Immigration, they've got access to statistics. Time is of the essence for you now and you need that extra edge.  Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.

Edited by Marisawright

Thank you for the response.

That was my thoughts/fear on the 189, I just won't be competitive enough points wise.

And yes, the IELTS is first on the list before even touching the application. I use a lot of 'correct' or structured English in my job and a small sample of practice tests online give me confidence that I will at least get sufficient points for proficient but the aim is obviously superior. Its then 100% an agent led application, with the right strategy I think 75 points is achievable which looks like it may be enough on a 190 for WA.

On 20/06/2022 at 23:00, Gavilon18 said:

'd be applying as a Finance Manager, although I can't quite work out if I would be eligible for the vanilla 190 route or if it falls into the graduate stream, in which point I would fall down on not having any Australian experience

Finance Manager is on the Graduate Occupation List and you aren’t eligible for the graduate stream unless you are a graduate from a Western Australian institution.