Travelling outside Australia without Passport

Canada2Australia

Hi all, quick question. I am a dual citizen (Canada and Australia) with plans to travel back home at the end of July. I've applied for my passport this week but have just found out that the wait times are through the roof and now I'm concerned I may not get my passport in time. Can I still travel out of the country on my Canadian passport, and then re-enter Australia with my Citizenship Certificate to show proof that I am a citizen? I'm getting a bit desperate.

Thanks in Advance

Travelling as a dual citizen (homeaffairs.gov.au)

As far as I can see it is possible to enter Australia with your citizenship certificate - they legally have to let you in as you are a citizen and have that right - however the airline might be more difficult to manage.  Generally they don't let you board without an AU passport or a foreign passport with a valid visa.  When you got your citizenship you PR visa no longer exists, and you cannot apply for another visa once a citizen.  I would suggest talking to your airline to see what they say, and also making very sure you get their very early when you fly as they will no doubt want to call immigration in AU to ensure they are not going to get a fine for letting you fly.

• Like 1

On 04/06/2022 at 19:49, Quoll said:

I have a friend who is doing just that at the moment  - $500!!! Eek! 

Yeah, $533 in total. Very steep, but the cost will be exponentially steeper if I can't get on that plane. It's the lesser of two expensive evils, IMO.

Edited by Canada2Australia
  • Like 1