Please help!! Bank statements required as proof for 2nd year WHV- but closed bank account in 2028?

moonchild93

Hi everyone, I’m currently being investigated for my second year WHV. I did all of my farm work in 2017, and left to return to the U.K. in early 2018. I kept all my work contracts, payslips, etc. so I could use them as evidence when the time came for me applying for my second year. I applied in January (this year) and was sent an email in early March asking for further evidence in the form of a payslip I was missing, and bank statements from the period I worked for that employer. 

The issue of the missing payslip is a different beast altogether (I did a separate post about that if you’d like to have a read), and I think I managed to get around it as I contacted the farmer in a panic and he provided me with an alternative document to submit instead of the payslip I had misplaced over the years. However, there’s no getting around the lack of bank statement.

I closed my CommBank account as soon as I left Aus in 2018 (because of the fees an empty/inactive account can incur). I have absolutely no way of getting a bank statement from this period without phoning up CommBank- which I’ve attempted to do, and can never get through to someone. I work Monday to Friday 9-5, so it’s not ideal for me to be on hold for hours when I should be asleep in the early hours. Obviously if there’s no other way, I’ll continue to try. Can CommBank even provide me with a statement since my account has been closed for over four years though?

I was paid in cash by my employer (it was all legit and taxed, and the payslips confirm this). So I never thought to obtain bank statements before I left Aus.

I’m really looking for some clear answers as to how important the bank statement is when I’ve provided over forty other pieces of evidence, in the form of contracts, payslips, signing off days sheets, etc (I worked on four different farms so have a good bit of evidence per farm- it’s just this one farm in particular I’m being questioned over). Is it likely they will decline my visa based on this missing bank statement? Or do you think since I’ve provided an alternative to the missing payslip, they will accept that alone? 

10 minutes ago, moonchild93 said:

Hi everyone, I’m currently being investigated for my second year WHV. I did all of my farm work in 2017, and left to return to the U.K. in early 2018. I kept all my work contracts, payslips, etc. so I could use them as evidence when the time came for me applying for my second year. I applied in January (this year) and was sent an email in early March asking for further evidence in the form of a payslip I was missing, and bank statements from the period I worked for that employer. 

The issue of the missing payslip is a different beast altogether (I did a separate post about that if you’d like to have a read), and I think I managed to get around it as I contacted the farmer in a panic and he provided me with an alternative document to submit instead of the payslip I had misplaced over the years. However, there’s no getting around the lack of bank statement.

I closed my CommBank account as soon as I left Aus in 2018 (because of the fees an empty/inactive account can incur). I have absolutely no way of getting a bank statement from this period without phoning up CommBank- which I’ve attempted to do, and can never get through to someone. I work Monday to Friday 9-5, so it’s not ideal for me to be on hold for hours when I should be asleep in the early hours. Obviously if there’s no other way, I’ll continue to try. Can CommBank even provide me with a statement since my account has been closed for over four years though?

I was paid in cash by my employer (it was all legit and taxed, and the payslips confirm this). So I never thought to obtain bank statements before I left Aus.

I’m really looking for some clear answers as to how important the bank statement is when I’ve provided over forty other pieces of evidence, in the form of contracts, payslips, signing off days sheets, etc (I worked on four different farms so have a good bit of evidence per farm- it’s just this one farm in particular I’m being questioned over). Is it likely they will decline my visa based on this missing bank statement? Or do you think since I’ve provided an alternative to the missing payslip, they will accept that alone? 

If they’re asking for it then I expect they need it.  Your bank can easily provide you with a bank statement going back that long.  I’d say it’s worth getting up in the middle of the night to ring them if necessary. The other alternative would be to write to them requesting they send it to you.  That would delay it but it’s an option.  If it was me, I’d just stay up late and ring them and be done with it.  

31 minutes ago, moonchild93 said:

I work Monday to Friday 9-5, so it’s not ideal for me to be on hold for hours when I should be asleep in the early hours. 

If you're worried about being short of sleep, go to bed as soon as you get home from work and have a nap for an hour or so before dinne. Don't worry if you have trouble getting to sleep, just lying down will refresh you, and compensate for those few hours you'll lose making the phone call.

The correct number to call from overseas is +61 2 9999 3283

Unfortunately they don't have an email address you can use, or an online enquiry form you can fill in.  They say that's for security reasons but it seems a bit stupid to me.  But honestly, losing a few hours' sleep just for one night really shouldn't be a big deal for someone who works a 9 to 5 job.