So im due to fly to the UK the day after my citizenship ceremony.....

sualg

Hi All, today I recieved Notification of my citizenship ceremony next month, Its due to be held the day before I fly back to the uk for a 3 week holiday. I'm wondering do I proceed with the ceremony as after I become a citizen my PR and RRV visas will be cancelled meaning I can't return to Oz with my UK passport? As I won't have an Australian passport yet will this mean I will be denied entry ?

Don't know the answer, but it sounds too close to comfort for something to go wrong.  Personally I'd try and defer the ceremony until my return, I don't know how quickly your visa is 'cancelled' after the ceremony but there is likelihood that it could occur in the 3 weeks you're away and you wouldn't have valid proof of being able to enter Australia - unless you travelled with your citizenship certificate but I don't know if that would be enough.

• Like 2

Officially you are a citizen once you take the oath and will therefore need an Australian Passport.  Pretty difficult to get one in the short time you have though.

Can you speak to your council and maybe get an emergency ceremony before then or be moved to the one after?

Be aware that if your current visa’s travel time will elapse before your return you will need an RRV if you don’t do the citizenship.