Paid annual leave

Sunshine11

Guest Jaynie

Most companies if you are 'Permanent' give 4 weeks, but you will find that you have to wait for one year before you can take any even though you accrue them throughout the first 12months.

If you get a job which is 'Casual Rates' (they tend to pay a higher hourly rate) then you do not get paid for holidays or sick leave.

It really depends on your employer so best to ask these things up front.

Wow thats a shock suppose its because we just take paid annual leave and sick leave for granted here in the UK leaving my 6 weeks paid annual leave a year behind sounds harder than I thought but hopefully the country itself and lifestyle will make up for that!

Thanks for the info.

Ps: I take it they do allow you to have unpaid leave though when requested ?

Sunshine 11

Wow thats a shock suppose its because we just take paid annual leave and sick leave for granted here in the UK leaving my 6 weeks paid annual leave a year behind sounds harder than I thought but hopefully the country itself and lifestyle will make up for that!

Thanks for the info.

Ps: I take it they do allow you to have unpaid leave though when requested ?

Sunshine 11

You have very generous bosses the statutory minimum that you should be entiltled to is 4.8 weeks which for a 5 day a week worker equates to 24 days but that includes all of the Bank Holidays e.g. Christmas etc. So it would be interesting to ask about the bank holidays. Also in the first year over hear you accrue holidays if the employer allows you to take holidays in the first year that is them being good employers.

Quote:

You have very generous bosses the statutory minimum that you should be entiltled to is 4.8 weeks which for a 5 day a week worker equates to 24 days but that includes all of the Bank Holidays e.g. Christmas etc. So it would be interesting to ask about the bank holidays. Also in the first year over hear you accrue holidays if the employer allows you to take holidays in the first year that is them being good employers.

Hi,

Sorry do you mean 4.8 weeks is the standard in the uk or in oz ?

My current 6 weeks in the UK does not include bank holidays i get those on top as well!!! This is definitely going to be a shock to the system!!

So if you dont ordinarily get paid annual leave or sickness leave in oz do they still pay you for the bank holidays when your not at work (if say for instance they are a company who dont work bank holidays) or do i it take that they would take that out of any annual leave time accrued?

Thanks

Sunshine11

Guest Jaynie

Hi,

Firstly we have 'Bank Holidays' for Banks only and unless you are in the finance industry you don't have the day off! Our other Holidays are called 'Public holidays' I confused the two at first, public hols are Easter, Christmas, Austalia Day, Anzac Day, labour day, new Years Day, they add up to about the same as the UK ones, we also get the Queens Birthday in June. If you are rostered on for one of these days at work you will be paid for it. The four weeks I get is on top of Public holidays.

Casual rates are were people work and do not ordinarily know their shifts, more often than not you get regular work, but they can in effect say "Don't come in tomorrow we have nothing for you" That's usually why the hourly rate is higher than Perm full/part time. Casual rates do not pay sick/hols.

As for time off without pay...that would be up to your employer I would say.

One of the benefits of living over here is that we get 'leave loading' (normally 17.5%) when you get your holiday pay, so a little extra in the pay packet while on hols.

Another benefit is Long Service Leave, when you have been in a job for 10yrs (Permanent) you will get up to 3months extra holidays for your loyalty and then this accrues for each extra year you work for them, it's normally about 9weeks, but some companies give more.

I hope this helps, but basically most companies are loathe to give you time off in your first year of employment and they also require Dr's notes when off sick even for 1 day.

Quote:

Hi,

Sorry do you mean 4.8 weeks is the standard in the uk or in oz ?

My current 6 weeks in the UK does not include bank holidays i get those on top as well!!! This is definitely going to be a shock to the system!!

So if you dont ordinarily get paid annual leave or sickness leave in oz do they still pay you for the bank holidays when your not at work (if say for instance they are a company who dont work bank holidays) or do i it take that they would take that out of any annual leave time accrued?

Thanks

Sunshine11

Hi sorry I meant here in the UK. Wow I want to come and work where you do! The bank holidays would come out of your allowance if the company is shut on that day.

Jaynie its funny isnt it Austalia get a day off on the queens birthday but we dont. Whats all that about?

Guest Robert
its funny isnt it Austalia get a day off on the queens birthday but we dont. Whats all that about?

The Aussies like any chance for a Holiday :)

There's a horse race in Melbourne, guess what, they get a Day off work down there!

In Brisbane there is an Agricultural show in August, guess what.. Yes, everyone gets a day off so they can go.

Those that work on Public Holidays almost always get paid double or triple time.

The Aussies like any chance for a Holiday :)

There's a horse race in Melbourne, guess what, they get a Day off work down there!

In Brisbane there is an Agricultural show in August, guess what.. Yes, everyone gets a day off so they can go.

Those that work on Public Holidays almost always get paid double or triple time.

Its lovely to here becaue quite often on this site people are saying that they don't get paid as well over there. You seem to get more holidays and the Annual leave is about the same and the minimum wage is way more than ours. I am really looking forward to coming over (fingers crossed)

Guest Jaynie
Hi sorry I meant here in the UK. Wow I want to come and work where you do! The bank holidays would come out of your allowance if the company is shut on that day.

Jaynie its funny isnt it Austalia get a day off on the queens birthday but we dont. Whats all that about?

yes Cath it is, but we don't get May Day or whit monday, so I suppose it's kind of like one of them really, I'm just going through them.....

New Years day,

Australia Day 26th Jan,

Good Friday

Easter Monday

Anzac Day 25th April

Queens Birthday June

Labour Day October

Christmas Day

Boxing Day

So I can't remember all the UK ones, but I think it balances up anyway, this coming Monday is a 'Bank Holiday' and because I work in the finance industry I don't get the day off but I get paid double time and a half for that day! Not bad is it?:yes:

yes Cath it is, but we don't get May Day or whit monday, so I suppose it's kind of like one of them really, I'm just going through them.....

New Years day,

Australia Day 26th Jan,

Good Friday

Easter Monday

Anzac Day 25th April

Queens Birthday June

Labour Day October

Christmas Day

Boxing Day

So I can't remember all the UK ones, but I think it balances up anyway, this coming Monday is a 'Bank Holiday' and because I work in the finance industry I don't get the day off but I get paid double time and a half for that day! Not bad is it?:yes:

No you win we only get 8 public holidays But Scotland gets 9 because they get St Andrews day off. We don't even get St Georges day off! :cry: I must be truthful because I am a Civil Servant I do get a half day for the Queens Birthday! Woo Hoo

Guest Robert
yes Cath it is, but we don't get May Day or whit monday

In QLD we get Labour day on the first Monday in May. May 4th 2009.

These are our 2009 Public Holidays in QLD:

New Year's Day Thursday, 1 January

Australia Day Monday, 26 January

Good Friday Friday, 10 April

Easter Saturday Saturday, 11 April

Easter Monday Monday, 13 April

Anzac Day Saturday, 25 April (Either Friday or Monday)

Labour Day Monday, 4 May

Queen's Birthday Monday, 8 June

Royal Queensland Show Wednesday, 12 August (# Brisbane Area Only)

Christmas Day Friday, 25 December

Boxing Day tba probably Monday 28 December

Some companies also give a "Picnic Day"

Labour Day Monday, 4 May

Flipping Eck! thats 12 Brill!:jiggy:

Guest Jaynie

Labour Day Monday, 4 May

I didn't count easter Saturday in mine though as some people in retail have to work that day, is Qld closed on this day? (not being funny just asking) also in Newcastle they have some kind of Parade day and they get the dy off but we don't. And I think someone mentioned in VIC that they get Melbourne cup day off and we don't.

Pick your state wisely Cath!! lol:wacko:

Flipping Eck! thats 12 Brill!:jiggy:

It's actually only 11 (including the Royal Queensland Show or Melbourne Cup) and one of those in on a Saturday :v_SPIN:

Guest Pinhead
It's actually only 11 (including the Royal Queensland Show or Melbourne Cup) and one of those in on a Saturday :v_SPIN:

Melbourne cup is only officially a holiday in Melbourne.

Guest Robert
I didn't count easter Saturday in mine though as some people in retail have to work that day, is Qld closed on this day? (not being funny just asking)
People who normally work on that Saturday (ie: shops etc) are entitled to pay for the day even if they do not work, therefore they would get double time or more if they did work that day.

The Act states that an employee who would ordinarily be required to work on a day on which a public holiday falls is entitled to full pay for the time they would have worked on that day. This entitlement applies whether the employee works on the public holiday or does not work because the day is a public holiday.

Public holiday general employee entitlements - Wageline

I just noticed this is in the Victoria section. I didn't see that before, oops :) My info is for QLD.

People who normally work on that Saturday (ie: shops etc) are entitled to pay for the day even if they do not work, therefore they would get double time or more if they did work that day.

I just noticed this is in the Victoria section. I didn't see that before, oops :) My info is for QLD.

Thanks for the link. I work for the British version of that department so I shall be approaching them for a job.:yes:

Guest Jaynie

My OH works a lot of public holidays with penalty rates, however he does not get them for Easter Saturday as this is classed as a normal working day for him, he gets Good Friday off but works Easter Monday with penalty rates but not the Saturday.

Guest Ruby Okim

I've just started a job and managed to negotiate 3 weeks off at the end of August (unpaid), so it really depends on your employer. We also get 2 weeks off at Christmas but have to either take the time off unpaid or use up unused leave...great to have that extra time off but I think I'd rather have the money!

Archived