What to do in Sydney on Valentine's Day?

Ausvisitor

I'm wondering if there are any city events (like an open-air music down at the harbour or in one of the parks) or something like that?

After 2 years of sitting on our grant waiting for COVID to subside (and 2 failed attempts at flying) it now looks like we are finally getting that plane, we should (fingers-crossed) be in Sydney by Feb 13th and one Lateral Flow Test later, taking a sip of well deserved australian wine in the summer sun...

Guest AltyMatt

A few Sydney special events have been almost as disastrous as the Fyre festival - overpriced, over subscribed, crap food, no amenities, etc.

Probably better to keep it simple than chance it with any new events.

This couple keep it simple and romantic, celebrating their anniversary with a picnic by Mrs Macquarie's Chair:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/sydney-couple-celebrates-every-anniversary-and-birthday-under-one-special-tree-20220111-p59nht.html

On 12/01/2022 at 21:04, Ausvisitor said:

taking a sip of well deserved australian wine in the summer sun...

Hello

Not to put a damp vibe on you - but summer is pretty nonexistent in Sydney this year

Sitting here in my winter PJs

Valentines Day at restaurants etc.. gets pretty booked up early.

If not raining, I would pick up some food for a picnic (cooked prawns, crusty bread rolls, soft cheese, and champagne, etc...), and have a picnic in the Botanical Gardens and watch the sunset over the harbour. 

You can also sign up to the following newsletters:

https://www.broadsheet.com.au/sydney

https://www.timeout.com/sydney

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

Hello

Not to put a damp vibe on you - but summer is pretty nonexistent in Sydney this year

Sitting here in my winter PJs

Valentines Day at restaurants etc.. gets pretty booked up early.

If not raining, I would pick up some food for a picnic (cooked prawns, crusty bread rolls, soft cheese, and champagne, etc...), and have a picnic in the Botanical Gardens and watch the sunset over the harbour. 

You can also sign up to the following newsletters:

https://www.broadsheet.com.au/sydney

https://www.timeout.com/sydney

I'm sure it will be warmer than the UK which was -4c in my area last night 😉

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Have a picnic at Neilsen Park. 

😀

Great suggestion. 

Lovely safe swimming enclosure, good picnic area, and nice walk around the headland 

I think you can get a ferry there from Circular Quay too, and its always nice to be out on the harbour 

Much better than my Botanical Gardens suggestion. 

On 22/01/2022 at 07:31, BeachBabe2022 said:

😀

Great suggestion. 

Lovely safe swimming enclosure, good picnic area, and nice walk around the headland 

I think you can get a ferry there from Circular Quay too, and its always nice to be out on the harbour 

Much better than my Botanical Gardens suggestion. 

There's  no ferry to Neilsen Park - it hasn't got a wharf - but you can get the 325 bus which travels from Millers Point in The Rocks to Watsons Bay passing a number of harbour beaches and bays, Rushcutters Bay, Double Bay, Redleaf aka Murray Rose Baths & Seven Shillings Beach, Rose Bay, Nielsen Park, Parsley Bay (that's nice too. I've not had a swim there for a while) and Watsons Bay. You can get the ferry from Circular Quay to Garden Island (where I used to work - I think there's public access to parts of it), Double Bay, Rose Bay and Watsons Bay. You could combine bus and ferry, in my case as a senior, for a maximum of $2.50,

It's nice in the Botanical Gardens too. I used to see office workers having champagne breakfasts there if I walked that way to Garden Island. The Art Gallery might be a possibility for a meal too. Isn't it open in the evenings?

The good thing about Nielsen Park is that it's open till 10pm and has decent toilets! Bronte is nice but they close the toilets and changing rooms at 8pm. Actually, I think there's an alchohol ban there too. There are some nice walks at Neilsen Park too - the largest remnant of bush south of the harbour I think. You can access it from two or three places - on the north side with views to the city, thru the park itself or walking around the headland to the south. It's got an historic house but i'm not sure if that's open to the public.