Schooling in UK (Scotland)

NatDaw

Hello All,

I have a 3 year old that’s about to start school in Oz next year. We are planning to move back to UK in a few years, when she is 7 or 8. I mentioned to my mum the booklist of things I needed to buy for my daughter going into kindy next year ( specific pen, glue, scissors, etc that the school requires us to buy) and she said that when we went to school in England when we were little, she didn’t have to buy any of that for us, that it was all provided by the school. Is that still the case? Reason I ask is many public primary schools in Oz now-a-days require parents to purchase their child an iPad come year 4 ( which my school is saying will be around $1100) and want to know for budgeting reasons is this the case in Scotland? Or are computer rooms still a thing? 😅 What schooling associated costs should I be aware of for primary and secondary school in Scotland? (Looking at government schools only) 

Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know the answer but I am also very interested in this, as may return to UK. 

Which state are you in? 

My son is only 2.5 years old but just found out he won't start school here in Melbourne until he is coming up to 6 yo as he is a May birthday.

With computing and schools the situation is probably moving pretty quickly, so the situation today may have changed in 4 years, especially with Covid and working at home.

5 years ago when we left Scotland my children did not have laptops or require to have them. I think it was just pens, pencils etc we needed (High School). I think in the main the primaries are the same.

On 01/11/2021 at 08:46, kmrg said:

I don't know the answer but I am also very interested in this, as may return to UK. 

Which state are you in? 

My son is only 2.5 years old but just found out he won't start school here in Melbourne until he is coming up to 6 yo as he is a May birthday.

We are in WA 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Nat a little late but just seen your post.

We left the UK last June and nothing has changed from when you were a kid regarding schooling.

Primary school the kids won't need a laptop or anything, the schools will have computers.

High school maybe but that's just because alot of work is done on these, these days.

Most schools in the UK are government schools, if your kid was bright then you would look at a grammar school which is still government.

Edited by Lavers