Visit from parent - heart condition - healthcare, insurance?

seangolding1987

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me here with some advice. 

I'm just waiting on my citizenship to come through, so no chance of leaving the country to visit old mum (not that we can in WA anyway), but we'd like to make a plan for her to visit me in WA when travel becomes a thing again. 

My mum is in her mid 50's and has previously suffered two strokes, has high blood pressure and a heart condition. She's worried that she may not be able to obtain travel insurance or have any cover from the medical system should she visit me for one month per year. Has anybody got any experience with this? It's obviously a great concern if she came here and god forbid had a stroke if there was no medical system in place for her. Or is she just not looking hard enough for the right travel insurance? I remember my late grandfather travelling freely with terminal cancer. 

Thanks for any help or advice. 

She's probably not looking in the right place.  She should talk to an insurance broker if the online comparison sites dont help her but it isnt going to be cheap. I cant remember the site a friend recommended but it had North West England connotations iirc - she is a cancer survivor and managed to get cover.  I would absolutely not be relying on reciprocal cover - it is a long trip and if you are unwell on the trip, medical care can cost you thousands.  Also, if you are sick while you are here but need repatriating then the cost of repatriation flights are eye watering.  She really does need insurance.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, seangolding1987 said:

Thank you for the replies. Yes I agree she does need insurance, but good to know that she would be able to get immediate hospital care if something was to happen. 
I'll try and look into insurance brokers.

Back in about 2007/8 my mum had a “mini stroke” whilst on a visitor visa from the uk and received excellent care. 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Back in about 2007/8 my mum had a “mini stroke” whilst on a visitor visa from the uk and received excellent care. 👍

Yup, my dad did the same, because it was an emergency and fortunately he got the go ahead to fly home shortly afterwards. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, seangolding1987 said:

Thank you for the replies. Yes I agree she does need insurance, but good to know that she would be able to get immediate hospital care if something was to happen. 
I'll try and look into insurance brokers.

If there's an emergency she'll be treated under Medicare so there's no need to worry about her treatment in Australia, really.  The problem is that it's a very long flight, and (God forbid) she could get sick on the flight - then she could be deplaned in Singapore or Dubai or wherever.  So insurance is a must, I think.

• Like 3