Costs

Debz414

57 minutes ago, Debz414 said:

My husband and I (both retired) are desperate to join our children and grandchildren in Oz. How much approximately can we expect to pay a migration agent ? 

For a parent visa? It will depend on circumstances, but a small fraction of the overall cost of the process. 

1 hour ago, Debz414 said:

My husband and I (both retired) are desperate to join our children and grandchildren in Oz. How much approximately can we expect to pay a migration agent ? 

@Debz414, sadly, it is going to be very difficult.   Basically, the Australian government has done the research and found that elderly parents cost them millions in medical bills and aged care, so they really don't want to let you in.  It's politically difficult to get rid of parent visas, so they're on a go-slow instead. 

So, you could apply for a Contributory Parents Visa today, and you will be waiting at least 12 years before Australia even looks at your application. And that's in spite of the fact that the visa costs tens of thousands of dollars.

You could apply for a Non-Contributory visa, which is much cheaper, but you will be waiting about 30 years.

Your only option, if you're not prepared to wait that long, is to wait until the borders open, then come to Australia as if you're coming on holiday.   Then once you're here, apply onshore for one of those visas.  You'll then be given a bridging visa and will be allowed to stay until the application is looked at - which is several years, as previously stated.

If that sounds too good to be true, it's because it is. You'll be living in limbo, not a legal permanent resident of Australia but not a legal resident of the UK either (which means, among other things, that you can't access the NHS any more if you go back for a visit). Your UK pension is frozen but you can't get any pension or aged care support from Australia.  You're a prisoner in Australia, having to apply for permission every time you want to go overseas.   If you want to buy a home, you'll be treated as a foreign investor, have to apply for special permission, and pay a hefty surcharge ($50,000 or more) on the purchase price.   Essentially, it can be done, but you will need deep pockets.    And there is always the risk that, if you're still alive when they finally look at your application, you will fail the medical that is compulsory at that point - and then you'll be forced to go back to the UK in your very old age and start from scratch.

It's not for the faint-hearted, so be sure to do your research.  

Once the borders open you could easily visit every year for several months at a time, for much less cost.  That is probably the most realistic option.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

I agree with Marisa, a really nice option is the several month visit each year.  My parents did that for 16 years - 6 months here, 6 months there - house there, granny flat on our block here. Car here, car there, golf here, golf there.  It worked really well for them and though they could easily  have come and stayed they made the decision that they were better off back in UK for the end of their days and they were right, it was, medically, socially, financially - and they ended up having a grandson living in UK for the last almost 20 years of their lives so they got the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RONALD CAMERON said:

Hi ,Does anyone know what "Schedule 4 criteria" of the Aged Parent 804 visa consists of ?

Schedule 4 contains the ‘public interest criteria (PIC)’ applicable to visa grants. Each visa has a different combination, although there are common ones such as health, identity, fraud etc. For an 804 visa, in most cases, the specific criteria to be met are:

PIC: 4001, 4002, 4003, 4004, 4005, 4009, 4010, 4019, 4020 and 4021